Bad aluminum poly cap on Gigabyte mobo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad aluminum poly cap on Gigabyte mobo

The video quit on a GA-F2A55M-DS2, on-board and dedicated card. Power reaches the fans and lights. I checked for obvious problems and found one capacitor that felt loose, it also sat higher than the ones around it. Looking though loupe I noticed what looked like a crack. Given the location of the cap I think it may be the reason for the video problem. I have tried locating a replacement with no success, even using DigiKey chat. The first photo shows the cap markings. Second photo show how it is raised from board and the apparent crack.

Any suggestions on a replacement for the cap?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Day 24 of quarantine here in Sta. Rosa, Laguna, Philippines and it beginning to get to me
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DixiePenguin; 05-05-2020, 02:53 AM.

Re: Bad aluminum poly cap on Gigabyte mobo

APAQ 5K series
    https://www.apaq.com.tw/en/product/C...pe/AR5K+Series

Comment

Nichicon FP RNS series is higher quality, lower ESR, higher ripple (could not find a 100uf but 150)

I've always disliked apaq
      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Looks like it got bumped.

I just hope those are not fake polymers, like Sacon is known for!
        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Thanks for the help, folks. I imagine I can chase something down now and try repairs.

Comment

I do not like Apaq too much, but I'm going to be honest, are not fake and they are real polymers (I have not seen any Apaq spill), and the 5K series is proving to be reliable, a friend has an Asus board with Apaq 5k and the original SSD marks almost 50,000h of use, and the computer continues to operate stable.
            And my uncle has in his office a computer with an asus motherboard with Apaq 5k and the original hard drive marks 60,000h (he never turns it off), the most curious thing is that the processor broke, but not the capacitors and it continues to work stable.
            (The broken CPU was an AMD Sempron 145, it could never be done core unlock, possibly it came from the outer side of the less pure wafer, in the end mount another Sempron 145 and the extra core could be unlocked).
            That capacitor probably suffered some accidental hit.
            Last edited by kevin!; 05-09-2020, 03:26 PM.
            Gaming pc:
            nVidia RTX 3080 TI, Corsair RM750I.
            Workshop PC:
            Intel core i5 8400, Intel SSD 256GB, nvidia gt1030, asus b365-a.
            Server:

Comment

yeah a decent polymer is better than good lytics.

but apaq isn't bottom barrel for polys, but most used for cheaper equipment.
              Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
              ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

I hope this thread is not too old. Uranium-235 suggested either FP-6R3RE151M-NS or RNS0J151MDN1 as replacement for my bad APAQ 6R3AR5K101M06X5C. THe biggest difference being they are 150uf instead of 100uf. Would they be okay to use? on the Gigabyte board. Only other suggestions from component sites were $$ plus shipping $$ to Philippines.

Thanks folks.

Comment

Yeah, the slightly higher capacitance will not be an issue at all. Generally, up to 2x capacitance will usually not cause any issues.

That said, before you even order the new capacitor(s), try removing the old one and measure/test it first, if you can. Otherwise replacing parts without being able to confirm if they are bad (i.e. shottgunning approach) can leave you disappointed when the issue remains unchanged with the new parts.

Also, worth noting is that anything AM2 and newer (AM2+/AM3, FM1, and FM2) usually has really hot-running chipsets/MCPs. It's a good idea to replace the tiny passive heatsinks on those with active (fan-cooled) heatsinks. I suspect many "defective" AMD boards died because of this.

My rule of thumb is, if you can't keep your finger on a component, it's running too hot and needs a fan / active cooling.

Comment

Working...
                  X