Macbook Pro early 2011 - no audio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Macbook Pro early 2011 - no audio

Hi. Got a Macbook Pro early 2011 model, EMC2419, with no audio. Was hoping for a loose speaker cable or audio jack replacement...
    Upon opening I have discovered some liquid damage. The R6211 had obvious corrosion. Replaced it and cleaned the board PCB as much as I could. Still no audio (no output devices, no startup chime, and before Macbook shows apple logo with loading bar, it displays white screen for about 10 seconds). I have noticed solder joints around audio jack a little bit worn/bad, corrected them so they appear neat now.

Anserwing some questions before they're asked:
    There is no red light in audio jack.
    I am not getting PP4V5_AUDIO_ANALOG voltage.
    I am not reading short between PP4V5_AUDIO_ANALOG and the ground.

I am pretty sure something is still shorted, just not sure where should I look. I have read some threads here and outside the forum, but it didn't get me much closer.
    When I was cleaning and scrapping the corrosion out of pads/traces next to R6211 (pics attached with how it looked initially), one of the testpoints went off along with the corrosion. I can also see that the corroded trace going left from R6211 (HDA_SDIN0) connects straight to U1800 BGA, if that trace is well-eaten by corrosion, think that might be my problem...

If you could guide me which voltages should I check, or where should I look for shorts, that'd be very helpful indeed. Many thanks in advance!
    Attached Files

Re: Macbook Pro early 2011 - no audio

Board number would help. Track/via damage is the most likely suspect around that area. Via's can be underneath the resistor track pad itself or the test point. If one end of that resistor is going under a BGA and nowhere else, you can only use diode mode to compare to a working board. Unless you want to take the BGA off to check.

Comment

Re: Macbook Pro early 2011 - no audio

Not sure where to check but if my digging was right my board number is 820-2936-B. Been using boardview for this one and seems like a 100% match. I'd rather avoid taking BGA out, maybe I'll manage to get my hands on another board then, hopefully.

Comment

Working...
      X