Blown cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blown cap

Does this capacitor look like it's leaked or blown?
    Attached Files

Re: Blown cap

yes, but usually you see the negative terminal leak first.

Comment

Might answer why the unit don't switch on,

Comment

interesting! its leaking gold coloured stuff? lol! might it be iron pyrite or fool's gold? rofl!

Comment

That ooze almost looks like the tan/brown glue that goes conductive. But I don't see that kind of glue anywhere else on the board, so I don't think that is it. Very surprising that it is leaking out of the positive terminal. As stj said, usually they do it on the negative one. And yeah, that very likely be the reason for not getting power. Just hope nothing else has blown when that cap went.

Also curious what brand of capacitor is that?

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
            That ooze almost looks like the tan/brown glue that goes conductive. But I don't see that kind of glue anywhere else on the board, so I don't think that is it. Very surprising that it is leaking out of the positive terminal. As stj said, usually they do it on the negative one. And yeah, that very likely be the reason for not getting power. Just hope nothing else has blown when that cap went.

Also curious what brand of capacitor is that?
            Looks like a Taicon to me.
            --------------------------------------------------------------
            Ryzen 3600x
            16GB Patriot 3600MHz
            MSI B450 Gaming Plus
            MSI Air Boost Vega 56
            Acer 32" 1440P Freesync
            Rosewill Capstone 750W
            --------------------------------------------------------------
            Hakko FX-888D Station
            FX-8802 Iron
            MG Chem .8mm 63/37 RA 2.2%

Comment

Yup, Taicon it is.
              A little surprised, though. Generally, I see them fail a lot less than other 2nd tier brand and expect them to fail less. But I suppose that doesn't mean too much when it comes to 2nd tier caps.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                Yup, Taicon it is.
                A little surprised, though. Generally, I see them fail a lot less than other 2nd tier brand and expect them to fail less. But I suppose that doesn't mean too much when it comes to 2nd tier caps.
                Indeed, I've also seen failed Taicon primaries. I have actually seen more failed primaries than secondary caps from them. I would say failure rate for primaries is about on par as with Samxon, especially if in APFC.

Comment

Well, APFC is a whole another story. Even good Japanese caps fail there sometimes, particularly if the manufacturer penny-pinched and used 85C -rated caps instead of 105C -rated caps... and also 400V caps instead of 420V or 450V caps. Going with 105C caps for higher rated voltage means bigger caps - which is quite necessary, because APFC puts more stress on the caps (lower ripple current than at 50/60 Hz, but at much higher frequency, so the end result is more stress on the caps than caps simply getting rectified DC straight from the line at 50/60 Hz.)

Comment

Working...
                  X