Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung UN65EH6000 - Vertical Lines sometimes, other visual artifacts

Background:

I found this TV by the side of the road saying it needed a new backlight. Thanks to the help of this forum, I was able to repair the backlights and the power board.

When I put the TV together, I noticed visual artifacts on the right side and a darkening of the center area, mostly on the right. Specifically, on the far right, the screen is very slow to refresh and has a smearing effect. I've taken video and will link that below. The photos show some of the afterimages that persist for a few seconds to a few minutes, again, on the right side mostly.

Sometimes the screen will show just vertical bars or stripes that change depending on the input signal.

I tried swapping the right and left Tcon ribbon cables but the problem of the slow refresh and darkening on the right side persisted.

At this point I'm afraid the panel itself is damaged. I don't know if it was like this when I found it, if it happened during transport, or if I damaged it taking it apart to change the backlights.

Or maybe the tcon board has failed or is/was damaged. I have no idea.

I appreciate any help you can offer.
    Attached Files

Re: Samsung UN65EH6000 - Vertical Lines sometimes, other visual artifacts

I have some videos of the problem.

SEIZURE WARNING - FLASHING COLORS AND LIGHTS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu_1OaVoU1g

In this video, I ran a "pixel unsticking" video on YouTube that cycles RGB very quickly. As you can see, the left side behaves normally. The middle is darkened. The right side is kind of blended, kind of white. I zoom in on each corner so you can see the behavior better.

SAFE: VIDEO 2:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0u7Ze-y8j-o

This video illustrates the slow refresh smearing happening on the right side of the screen, and the darkening in the center area. The left behaves normally.

Comment

Inspect the Diffuser and Polariser sheets for damage or folds.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew F. Ali View Post
        Inspect the Diffuser and Polariser sheets for damage or folds.
        What about the vertical stripes I sometimes get, and the slow refreshing and ghosting at the right side?

Comment

Not any of the LCD sheets. Perhaps a failing cof or other component on the panel PCB.

Comment

I'm not sure what that means. Is that something I can diagnose or fix?

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
              Not any of the LCD sheets. Perhaps a failing cof or other component on the panel PCB.
              Agreed.

Comment

The chip on the flexible cable between the panel and PCB if it has them or a component on the PCB

Have a look and a feel of the chip if it has one, it might be warmer than the others or you might find the panel was damaged when the panel was put back together or it could be a failed component on the panel PCB.

Comment

I haven't had a chance to check the cable for chips yet but I noticed there's an inductor on the Tcon board that got hot. I don't know if that's a symptom or a cause of the issue.

If it's anything that you mentioned, is there any way to fix it or am I SOL?
                  Attached Files

Comment

There's no practical way to replace the cofs for the diyer as the flex cables are bonded to the panel, failed components on the PCB can be replaced though.
                    A hot inductor could be an indication of the problem.

Comment

Working...
                    X