need understanding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need understanding

looking to gain knowledge on something i got wrong. any good reads, or just plain text here would be appreciated.

i have 200mbs connection and run a few devices at a time usually. this hasnt been an issue until my kids got cell phones and a roku as gifts. all of a sudden i get bad lag in gaming and signals seem weaker when streaming movies and such. my usual 150 ish mbps on my xbox is now down to 100mbs, so i decided to hook up another router just for them to access and not bog down my devices that were working just fine before hand.

i got it working and theres no nat issues but this hasnt solved the problem? what am i not understanding in this function? signal seems stronger but mbps is still low.

Re: need understanding

Originally posted by jostewcrew View Post
    looking to gain knowledge on something i got wrong. any good reads, or just plain text here would be appreciated.

i have 200mbs connection and run a few devices at a time usually. this hasnt been an issue until my kids got cell phones and a roku as gifts. all of a sudden i get bad lag in gaming and signals seem weaker when streaming movies and such. my usual 150 ish mbps on my xbox is now down to 100mbs, so i decided to hook up another router just for them to access and not bog down my devices that were working just fine before hand.

i got it working and theres no nat issues but this hasnt solved the problem? what am i not understanding in this function? signal seems stronger but mbps is still low.
    You're only going to be able to get 200Mbps on your connection, shared amongst all devices. So if your kids are pulling 50Mbps, that leaves 150Mbps left over for everything else to use. If the Xbox is pulling 150Mbps on top of the 50Mbps your kids are pulling, your connection is maxed out and anything else will either run slowly or will slow down other devices to get it's data through. Also, what is your ping like now and what was it like before?
    Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
    RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
    Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
    - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
    - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
    - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
    - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

An Xbox One uses less bandwidth than a Netflix SD stream when gaming, you have more than enough bandwidth, you're just not managing it.
      You need to look at port forwarding and QOS on your router.

Comment

thanks for the replies. ping is 32 ms ....used to be like 11ms.

so the signal seems to be the only real assistance here with the second router. i now understand bandwidth more clearly. 200mbs is the max bandwidth divided by how many devices. i am interested in knowing more about the management of port forwarding...ive enabled a qos of sorts by enabling fair use in my routers internal console. is there more i can do with this as well?

Comment

Whilst your available bandwidth will have reduced from 150 to 100ish, that is it's downloading speed, when you are gaming you use far less so the reduction of speed is not the cause for lag, it's the extra traffic caused by the other users.

QoS will give your console traffic priority on the network and will reduce the lag. You can also fix your lag by using the wired connection which is the cheaper option sometimes depending on the router options, it's also not affected by external sources like your neighbours Wi-Fi, microwaves, baby monitors or video transmitters etc.

Comment

someone may be torrent seeding or mining coins(possibly without knowing about it!)

Comment

so, i logged into both routers, (main, kids) and looked at all devices, mac addresses....made sure the devices connecting are indeed our devices. changed all of the kids devices to connect to the kids wifi, and all of my devices to connect to main wifi. there is no history of any unauthorized devices connected so not going to bother with mac filtering. i enabled data fairness options (qos options) on both routers so that everyone gets an equal share of bandwidth when connected regardless of what router devices are connected to. i have to stick to wifi on my xbox for now, but have gave it data prioritization over any other device on my network. ill have to read up on port forwarding that was mentioned by diff.... not sure what or why id want it as of now, but gonna test this set up for a day or two and see if it helps. thanks for all the input so far.

Comment

when i said about mining, i meant your own devices.
                there is malware now that tries to mine coins in the background using spare cpu cycles.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                  when i said about mining, i meant your own devices.
                  there is malware now that tries to mine coins in the background using spare cpu cycles.
                  thats what miner block extension is for .i have it installed but it has never found one to block .maybe my firewall is blocking them anyway .

Comment

your very trusting in these things.
                    i wont even trust a router until i'v removed the factory firmware!

Comment

Fortunately cryptocurrency mining doesn't use that much network bandwidth...

just a lot of CPU bandwidth...

Comment

Working...
                      X