Intel introduces ATX12VO spec eliminating 3.3 and 5v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Intel introduces ATX12VO spec eliminating 3.3 and 5v

Well, it was the circuitry needed to deal with droop of 3v3 at high amperage through the wires. 5V has a lot of legacy use, but as seen by many designs, motherboards decided to switch down from 12V anyway for other reasons, instead of dropping 3V3.

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
      Well, it was the circuitry needed to deal with droop of 3v3 at high amperage through the wires.
      New motherboards don't really care about droop on the 3.3V though, because no ICs are directly powered from it anymore. If anything, droop is probably doing all the linear regulators a favor, as they have to drop less voltage now, so they'll run cooler. RTL and some BIOS chips may as well be the only thing that uses 3.3V directly... though I'm pretty sure most motherboards feed those through the local standby 3.3V rail that each motherboard itself generates (through 5VSB.)

5V has a lot of legacy use

And it's still used for HDDs (non-M.2) as well as optical drives, just to name a few.

So I guess that's why neither 3.3V nor 5V have gone away yet... at least until this standard... but looks like they will still be needed and generated. So that's why I still think this new spec is crap. It will literally only move the 3.3V and 5V rails from the PSU to the motherboard - and that's stupid, because it's the PC builder's choice what hardware will go into the machine, and hence their choice what PSU will be needed to supply the HW. Maybe I want a newer motherboard but a rack of old 3.5" rust-spinning HDDs. With this new spec, it's going to be a silly dongle-galore just to do that instead of using a PSU that already has these connections available.

IDK, maybe I'm wrong, but I feel this is a step backwards.

Only thing I do agree with the new spec is 24V rail, which as Chaos suggested, may be useful for high-power GPUs so that one 6/8-pin 24V connector should be able to provide enough power in place of what two 12V 8-pin connectors do right now.
      Last edited by momaka; 08-29-2020, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
        Only thing I do agree with the new spec is 24V rail, which as Chaos suggested, may be useful for high-power GPUs so that one 6/8-pin 24V connector should be able to provide enough power in place of what two 12V 8-pin connectors do right now.
        What 24v?
        There is no 24v in the spec.

https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...98d113f69a.pdf

The specification name for this Power Supply Design is ATX12VO which stands for ATX 12V Only
        Last edited by Per Hansson; 08-30-2020, 12:21 AM.
        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Eh... no sense for 12V to 24V doubler, just 240V 10:1 down...

Well not exactly, but you get the picture. Anyway it seems that datacenter rooms actually use 48V a lot for some reason, so skip the 24V. Realistically the higher voltage just helps longer distance runs, else bucking a smaller voltage difference can be done with fewer Henries...

Comment

I was expecting something like this would happen - we could be using server PSUs which typically have a single high output +12V rail (in a Delta DPS-1200 excluding protrustions, it has a power density of 1.91W/CC)...
            My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Eh... no sense for 12V to 24V doubler, just 240V 10:1 down...

Well not exactly, but you get the picture. Anyway it seems that datacenter rooms actually use 48V a lot for some reason, so skip the 24V. Realistically the higher voltage just helps longer distance runs, else bucking a smaller voltage difference can be done with fewer Henries...
              48v is considered "safe" by the electrical standards dictators.
              so no need for qualified people to work with it.
              it's also used by big ups's

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                48v is considered "safe" by the electrical standards dictators.
                so no need for qualified people to work with it.
                it's also used by big ups's
                24 V is used by the fire alarm industry in the U.S.
                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                  24 V is used by the fire alarm industry in the U.S.
                  Yeah a lot of old control systems - 24V AC hence a proliferation of 24V relays...

Comment

Yeah a lot of old control systems - 24V AC hence a proliferation of 24V relays...
                    The fire alarm industry uses 24 VDC.
                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

So is this going to apply to AMD boards as well? If not, will we now have 2 different standards running in parallel, ATX and ATX12VO?

And do you think AMD is going to adopt this in the long run? Or will Inlel have imploded before then?
                      Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                      RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                      Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                      - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                      - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                      - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                      - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

It's not AMD to decide as they don't make their own boards...

BTW whatever happened to BTX and other "standard" form factors...

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                          What 24v?
                          There is no 24v in the spec.
                          Oops, I'm not sure what happened there. My mind picked up something about 24V from Chaos's post, and then all of a sudden it got stuck into my head that there is going to be a 24V rail??? (In all honesty, I had a few beers before typing that post, so perhaps I should have refrained from posting. LOL! )

I kind of liked BTX quite a bit, especially those older s775 and s1366 Dells.
                          Last edited by momaka; 08-30-2020, 01:06 PM.

Comment

...and is the standard for most modern industrial control systems (PLCs, robots, etc.). Most of the sensors and the like I see at work are rated for 10-30VDC, but 24V is what nearly everything uses. Some of our really old stuff uses 100VAC (Japanese line voltage), and the HID FOB readers we use are 12V based (designed for building security though)... and something used 12V solenoids (since I accidentally got one from the stockroom and burned it on 24V ).
                            sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

...and the thermostat that controls the heating and A/C in US residential housing uses 24V AC, although it is often really 28V. I have heard some industrial heating and A/C controls use 48 volts, but my HVAC career was VERY short and I never saw any 48V stuff.

Comment

It's not AMD to decide as they don't make their own boards...

Neither do Intel.

Comment

Actually Intel does have their hands into the board manufacturing, they do contract out board manufacturing and they put their name on those reference designs. So at least there will be boards out that were compelled by Intel to have their standards...

AMD on the other hand, well not sure if they actually pay for reference design built or rather just work their board manufacturers to build a product with their design... or rather the integrator chooses what gets be put on the board...

Comment

It's 12v standby and it's not a brand it's a all brand that comply with the new atx12 compliance.

Comment

Working...
                                    X