Hanns-G HG281D, LCD Monitor no power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hanns-G HG281D, LCD Monitor no power

Thanks for the help. I will order those and give it a try.

Comment

Hello. I have a HG281D that works fine for a few minutes then the power starts dropping out and screen goes black... no visibly damaged components or bloated caps, seems to be in line with the experiences others have had. I wish to replace the capacitors. After checking my actual boards (PSM217-404-H-R & PM549DA3 M06 ver5.0A) and reading the recommended caps lists and bad caps lists I came up with the following replacements that are in stock at Digikey.

Main Board (PM549DA3 M06 ver5.0A)
      Code:
      Qty	Cap	Voltage	Dia	Hei	Rep Part
      3	470	16	8	12.6	EEU-FM1C471L
      12	10	16	4	6	EEA-GA1C100
      3	100	16	6.5	6	
      2	100	16	5	12	EEU-FR1C101
      I don't see a reason that they had to use the two different sizes of 100uF caps, so I was just going to replace them all with the 5x12mm ones. The eBay/Amazon cap repair kits for this board that I have found do the same thing.

Power Board (PSM217-404-H-R)
      Code:
      Qty	Cap	Voltage	Dia	Height	Labels			Rep Part
      1	1	50	5	12	c205			50YXF1MEFCT15X11
      1	1	100	5	12	c606			UEP2A010MDD
      2	2.2	50	5	12	c114, c203		EEU-FC1H2R2
      1	10	35	5	12	c108			UPW1V100MDD1TD
      1	10	50	5	12	c406			EEU-FC1H100L
      3	22	35	5	12	c111, c603, c707	EEU-FC1V220
      1	22	400	12.5	21	c601			UCS2G220MHD
      1	47	50	6.5	12	c605			EEU-FC1H470
      1	150	420	20	40	c3			450QXW150MEFC18X40
      2	470	10	8	12	c506, c702		EEU-FM1A471
      2	470	25	10	16	c306, c502		EEU-FM1E471
      1	470	35	10	20	c403			EEU-FM1V471
      2	1000	10	10	16	c505, c701		EEU-FM1A102B
      2	1000	25	12.5	20	c301, c302		EEU-FM1E102
      1	1000	35	12.5	20	c401			EEU-FM1V102B
      google docs spreadsheet with clickable digikey part links https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...Sa-c6i80S9MSGA

I am fine with the soldering and repair work for the monitor, but I was hoping that someone could please look over my component choices? And if necessary point out the error in my ways? Thanks!

Comment

That list looks alright, acabtp.

Like you mentioned, there is no point to use two different sizes of 100uF caps if size constraints are not an issue. So it's perfectly okay to go with 5x12mm.

That said, if it was me, I'd streamline the order even further.

For example, all those different 10 uF caps, I'd just go with 10uF/50V/5x12 mm Panasonic FC for everything. Being low ESR and bigger in size, they should also last longer.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
          That list looks alright, acabtp.

Like you mentioned, there is no point to use two different sizes of 100uF caps if size constraints are not an issue. So it's perfectly okay to go with 5x12mm.

That said, if it was me, I'd streamline the order even further.

For example, all those different 10 uF caps, I'd just go with 10uF/50V/5x12 mm Panasonic FC for everything. Being low ESR and bigger in size, they should also last longer.
          sounds good. hopefully i'll report back in a week or two with a fixed monitor. thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by acabtp View Post
            google docs spreadsheet with clickable digikey part links https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...Sa-c6i80S9MSGA

I am fine with the soldering and repair work for the monitor, but I was hoping that someone could please look over my component choices? And if necessary point out the error in my ways? Thanks!
            Thanks for posting the nice spreadsheet, was putting together a similar order myself.
            What's up with the bipolar capacitor at C606?

Comment

Originally posted by Capt. Cap View Post
              Thanks for posting the nice spreadsheet, was putting together a similar order myself.
              What's up with the bipolar capacitor at C606?
              ugh, looks like a selection error on my part. thanks, good catch.
              slim pickings for 1uF 100v caps.

couple options:
              https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...0-1-ND/4320420
              https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...1360-ND/755876

i would lean towards the nichicon, but the UCC has better high freq ripple current. neither have ESR data. decisions decisions...

Comment

after a little more research and checking the board, i think that
                https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...719-ND/5051848
                can probably squeeze in there and do the job with much better lifetime rating. i'm going to order this and the UCC as a backup in case i can't fit it.

Comment

Originally posted by acabtp View Post
                  ugh, looks like a selection error on my part. thanks, good catch.
                  slim pickings for 1uF 100v caps.
                  Yeah, I looked at that 1μF 100v first to see what you were going with because of the slim pickings
                  In another thread I started about the HG281D I asked about using a film capacitor there, but I think the question got lost in that wall of text.

In all likelihood, they chose to use an electrolytic there because it was cheaper, but I don't understand the circuit at all, so I'm hesitant to get fancy with the replacements.

Comment

For what it's worth, a polypropylene film 1μF 100v capacitor has been working fine in place of the electrolytic.

Comment

So my monitor died back in july when a power outage happen right after it refused too power on no power light at all.. So i sat it aside till today and took it apart.

Tested the fused first and that tested fine and i noticed when apart sometimes i can get it too turn on but the light will come on the screen will also come on than go out 2secs later and repeats and than dies and its hard too get it too do it again..

Than something stupid happen... The inverted cable hit the power supply on the back of it and a big spark happen and i get no power at all from the psu...

Tested the fused and yep its blown.... it also left burnt spot in that area too which is by the fuse.. Now i wonder if its even worth it anymore? Heres a pic. I cleaned it up which came fine but as you can see its missing some solder on the joint of carli mpx40/100/21 yellow cap tho it might be fine tho.

http://prntscr.com/mweq7o

I was going too see if i can replace the C603,606 and 707 caps as Mishannya did with his cause he had no light either. And probably going too need a t4.0a250v Brown square fuse.... Now the other thing it did burn the video connector some but it didn't touch the metal contacts just burn some plastic.. Oh is it possible too just jump it with a wire for the fuse for now too see if the powersupply at least powers up?

Oh forgot too add back in 2014 which i also posted on this site i had too replace c80 and c83 on the main board cause the buttons was wacky and i couldn't adjust the brightness or anything and sometimes the screen would go on and off. But the blue light always stayed on. So the problem im having would be related too the psu caps now?
                      Last edited by gordesky1; 03-11-2019, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Whoops sorry about just putting a link for the pic. Didn't see the manage attachments on my first post... But yea as you can see by that solder point that's were it got shorted at and around that area had black on it but it cleaned up fine but did melt the solder by that joint which im hopeing didn't cause any damage... The fuse went out really fast tho probably in a sec and than it lost power. That's were the lcd inverted connector hit and melted some of the connector too but seems like ony the metal part sense the wires and connections look fine on it.

I would order one of those psu cap kits for the psu and also a new fuse but just worried if it cause any more damage:/
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by gordesky1; 03-11-2019, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Greetings everyone! Glad to find this thread with almost 50 pages about our monitor. Wonderful, how many customers got same trouble with this good and bad build at same time. I had to read many pages but im not found my current trouble, or im just misunderstood something.
                          Previously i had after ~2 years of using trouble with image artifacts, im not sure how to write about them, think u saw these lines and dots ^^. Fixed in service center where it was bought.
                          Next my HG281D had troubles when i power on him, time to prepare was increasing till totally not powering on (or i just didnt waited for 1-2 days). Like old monochrome TV... This was fixed for not very long time, and happens again with same defect. Fixed, but just for around 50 working sessions. (Used it rarely, cause got another monitor)

Ok, but now i have something new, and cant find solved same symptoms.
                          Its turning on, black color of display changes to black image. Previously it was white or gray, but after re-soldering 3.3V it has changed to black.
                          Indicator of power is blue, like it working normally.
                          Sounds is ok music work.
                          Plugging to laptop and even w/o AC my laptos says about connected device HannsG.
                          After 2 hours of laying on table with matrix down it become very hot, almost harms. I forgot how normally its or not.

If changing capacitors to quality japanese could bring life for ~5 years it would be fine. But before invest i wanna to be sure that this will solve problem. Im not sure, is it about just some bad caps, or something new. Im novice to electronics, just studying in service center and trying to fix everything for getting experienced.

Hope i writed enough well to understand my globish skillz

And my config is:
                          PM549DA3 M06 VER6.0 logic board
                          PSM217-404-H-R REV A.1 power supply

And one more question. I have empty slot on power supply. Is it normally? Image attached, with red circle painted.

Comment

According to my previous post, didnt attached correctly.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by imindf View Post
                              If changing capacitors to quality japanese could bring life for ~5 years it would be fine. But before invest i wanna to be sure that this will solve problem. Im not sure, is it about just some bad caps, or something new. Im novice to electronics, just studying in service center and trying to fix everything for getting experienced.
                              Hi imindf, welcome to the BCN forums!

It is hard to say with 100% confidence that new capacitors will fix your issue. But given how many problems these monitors have with capacitors, replacing them would be the first basic step in troubleshooting. Reason for that is because when you have bad capacitors in a circuit, they can cause other circuits to misbehave down the line. And then you wouldn't know why that is happening and probably never find the fault.

So as a first step, recap the video/logic board on the monitor and also all of the small capacitors on the PSU board. I think the larger capacitors on the PSU board are United Chemicon KY or KZE (if I remember correctly), which shouldn't need replacing if they are that. But all of the small caps will likely be dry at this age now.

Regarding the recap, see this:
                              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=827
                              and this:
                              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...8&d=1435812326

And one more picture that may be useful:
                              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...6&d=1351012349

And one more question. I have empty slot on power supply. Is it normally? Image attached, with red circle painted.
                              According to some pictures I found in this thread... namely these three:
                              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...2&d=1291157414
                              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...5&d=1331360444
                              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...9&d=1415717806
                              ... it appears that the missing connection there in normal. Looking at the PSU deisgnators, you can see that connector has 4 pins: 2 labeled with "GND" and two with "+12V". So, it's probably not needed.

On the other hand, this picture shows all cables connected:
                              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...9&d=1358649456
                              But honestly, I don't think the logic board uses 12V (except possibly for the audio amp... though if you are already getting audio through, then the audio amp is powered from something else, obviously.)

Also, do you know who put that diode there on the bottom right next to where you circled the area in red? (It's North of the circle.) Was that done by one of the repair shops? If so, I wonder why.
                              Last edited by momaka; 04-18-2019, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Currently i have replaced 5 caps, two most reccomended C80 & C83. I placed there 16V 220uF, with 0.00 ESR. Still not understood for sure what is ESR, but think 0.00 is good, and if more than maximum as an table says this capacitor bad. Btw im replacing caps from pc motherboards, cause cant afford japanese right now, and for sale in local shops only chinese. After replacing 5 caps totally nothing changed. Ill try get somewhere more good caps, and maybe its helps.
                                And i have one question about logic board. There is processor, how to test him? My teacher from service center says problem could be just in proc, so nothing will help anymore and just getting new board. But he honestly says, he not really good in displays. Is there ways to check CPU health?
                                Also tried to connect to Orange Pi, maybe another signal... but no.
                                And i forgot to say something, maybe important. Last time i connected smartphone with mini-HDMI, to check how it works. After few minutes of looking how its hard to play movie with low Hz 1 core cpu i deattach. And display didnt worked anymore after this.

Thanks for assisting, momaka. Few your links already in bookmarks, very helpful.

Idk who placed diode, displays was on repair in 3 different. As my teacher said, it for force power on.

Changing "16V 100uF" to "16V 220uF" or "10V 220uF to 16V 220uF" is ok? I have seen in this thread, but forgot the rule. I should keep V but can increase uF? Or Keep uF and increase V slightly? Im not banned in Google, but wanna ask here.
                                Last edited by imindf; 04-19-2019, 12:52 AM.

Comment

Btw im replacing caps from pc motherboards, cause cant afford japanese right now, and for sale in local shops only chinese.
                                  That's usually fine. I do the same myself quite often. As long as the used caps are of good quality brand, they should be okay to reuse in most cases.

No-name Chinese/Taiwanese caps (or known brands, for that matter... like CapXon, ChengX, Chong, etc.) are usually a waste of time and money anyways.

After replacing 5 caps totally nothing changed. Ill try get somewhere more good caps, and maybe its helps.
                                  You need to replace the caps mention on your PSU board as well. And possibly look for anything that might be off or wrong from the previous repair shops' work. That diode on the bottom sure is a dodgy repair job. I don't recommend going to that repair shop anymore. You can probably do a better repair yourself with the help of BCN than that.

And i have one question about logic board. There is processor, how to test him?
                                  Simply put, you can't. You can only check the voltage going to it and maybe see if it issues the proper turn-on signals. But apart from that, anything else will be very hard to do and require specialized expensive equipment that even more sophisticated repair shops won't have.

Speaking of the processor...
                                  My teacher from service center says problem could be just in proc, so nothing will help anymore and just getting new board. But he honestly says, he not really good in displays.
                                  The processors in these monitors almost never go bad. Typically, only a lightning strike or severe ESD shock can kill them. So personally, I think it's very unlikely that the processor on your board is bad. More likely, you have a combination of bad caps and possibly some bad solder joints, dirty cables, and maybe shady work done by a previous repair shop. (Check all cables and make sure they are all seated well. Also, check for any "ghetto" modifications and repairs.)

Idk who placed diode, displays was on repair in 3 different. As my teacher said, it for force power on.
                                  That's fine to do as a "test" on the power supply. But for a repair shop to return the power supply like that to you, I'd say they're close to incompetent (at least when it comes to LCD repair).

The circuit should work as it was intended. Removing that diode and restoring whatever circuit there was originally would be a good second step in troubleshooting, after changing all the necessary capacitors.

Changing "16V 100uF" to "16V 220uF" or "10V 220uF to 16V 220uF" is ok? I have seen in this thread, but forgot the rule. I should keep V but can increase uF? Or Keep uF and increase V slightly? Im not banned in Google, but wanna ask here.
                                  It should be fine either way, actually, since these caps are filtering linear regulators.
                                  But more precisely, the rule is: keep capacitance the same or within 25% of the original (preferably on the high side rather than under) and keep voltage the same or higher (that is, if you don't know what the circuit voltage is.)

Comment

quick reply ive fixed several of these over the years. they were widely available as black friday special. a few caps (all the same ) blew on each one. replacing was faster than disassembly. been fine since, more than 1 year

Comment

just posted this issue. Figure i post it here too incase any of you know what can be the issue. https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=89422

Comment

hmm so i seen this guy post about the red blue and green colors what im getting always now.

post 838 a page back.

Hello
                                        I have a screen hg281d down.
                                        At the start, it cycle on red blue green.
                                        I replace c80 & C83.
                                        I do not have 1.8V to regulator vs18.
                                        The output is short-circuited with ground.
                                        The regulator is ok, the capacitor is ok.
                                        I do not have the schema to find or is short circuit.
                                        If anyone had the schema.

This is c82 was hs.
                                        thanks.
                                        now the screen turns on but there are red dots everywhere.
                                        The tensions are good.
                                        An idea?

thing is i dont see anything on c82??? just 2 solder joints. unless im missing something?

Comment

Hello
                                          I just save my HG281D yesterday changing all CAPS of the power board except the big one ( the only one i found was a 120µf 450, but way to huge ).

Thank's to this usefull guide thread

Comment

Working...
                                          X