Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Premium MLCC Capacitor Selection

Hello everyone, new here!

I am looking for some advice on capacitor section. The capacitor will be used for modern high-frequency CPU core. I am looking for a premium capacitor to drop in as a replacement for the existing MLCC's on a z390 motherboard.

The idea is to replace the existing caps, and/or piggyback the existing caps to evaluate the effects on maximum achievable overclocking frequency.

Project Perimeters:
    • Premium caps without going crazy on cost (Ideal <= $0.25 each @100)
    • 0805 (in)
    • 10uF - 47uF (flexible based on recommendation)
    • Working voltage will not exceed 2v

I have a few in low ESL/ESR options in the 47uF variant picked out, but I wanted to check with you all here and see if you have any recommendations. brands/series/dialectic options...all help is welcome

Re: Premium MLCC Capacitor Selection

1. Stick with the good name brands.

2. Remember that if you use tempcos like X5U or Y5V that they can be as low as 20% of their rated value at high or low temperatures and at DC voltages close to their rating. IOW, stick to X7R or COG where you can, and if the circuit DC voltage is 2V using 25V or higher caps where you can will reduce voltage coefficient changes.
    PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
    To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Are genuine COG (C0G?) capacitors available in 10 uf+?

i have only encountered pf and nf C0Gs or NP0

Comment

Thanks for the help

C0G looks ideal but there is nothing even close to the size I need. I was looking at X5R or X7R, which should be the same for my use because I am not pushing high temp, in fact, it's the opposite.

Any advice on brands? I see a lot of Taiyo Yuden, and Murata Electronics, which I am not familiar with, are they good? I also see AVX and KEMET which I know and have used in the past. I am tempted by Samsung caps, they look good and the price is very reasonable. ...any input here?

Comment

Taiyo Yuden, and Murata are well established company's
          infact TY made the best cd's/dvd's on earth.

Comment

Working...
          X