Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gigabyte GA-MA69G-S3H no post

Greetings to everyone.

This is my first post in the forum but I have consulted it many time in the past. I am getting into the hobby and I need all the help I can get.

To the point now. An AM2 motherboard was given to me that it was supposedly misflashed. The actual model is Gigabyte GA-MA69G-S3H. Having a CH341 programmer I managed to flash a copy of the latest bios on Gigabyte's site but when I tested it with the existing Athlon 64 x2 5200+ that had onboard didn't manage to get it to boot. It would power on (CPU fan spinning) and then would do nothing. The CPU, northbridge and southbridge remained dead cold.

To troubleshoot I replaced the CPU with an 5600+ one and flashed another bios version still to no avail. I also replaced RAM modules and slots and tried both onboard and PCIe graphics card. On every attempt the output was the same. No post at all and no beeping.

So I start measuring the mobo mosfets. What I came across is demonstrated in the pic.

Does any of these measurements make sense to you? I hope so.

I made a lot more but I will not write them down so not to confuse you further but I can make whatever measurement you tell me to since the mobo is on the bench.

Below there are the datasheet of the mosfets mentioned in the pic
    K3918
    K3919
    40T03GH
    3310GH

Some additional info. I didn't find any dead shorted capacitor but I have measured low resistance in the + pin of the electrolytic capacitors around the CPU (the 3300uF ones) and the SMD capacitors on the back of the CPU socket. (around 13 and 23Ohms with the CPU on).
    I also measured the SMD capacitors on top of northbridge and southbridge. None was dead shorted but a lot of them had 0V on both their sides.

Is there any hope?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad english!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Tankard; 02-15-2022, 04:22 PM.

Re: Gigabyte GA-MA69G-S3H no post

I forgot to mention that nothing gets hot on the motherboard no matter how long it is powered on.

Comment

Hi

do you have voltage on the bios chip?

Comment

Hi!
        Thanks for the reply.

The chip is a MX25L4005A and I get voltages as following:

3.8V 1 CS# Chip Select
        3.3V 2 SO Serial Data Output
        3.3V 3 WP# Write Protection
        0.0V 4 GND Ground
        3.3V 5 VCC + 3.3V Power Supply
        60mV 6 HOLD# Hold, to pause the device without deselecting the device
        3.3V 7 SCLK Clock Input
        3.3V 8 SI Serial Data Input

Comment

Taking again a look at my measurements there seems to be no Vcore around the mobo. The only voltage near Vcore is on the WQ16 mosfet (40T03GH) below NorthBridge.

Shouldn't have I measured Vcore on the 6 K3919 above socket? AN if so why there is no voltage there?

Comment

I noticed that near the 6 K3919 mosfets there is a ISL6312 chip that is described as a "Four-Phase Buck PWM Controller with Integrated MOSFET Drivers for Intel VR10, VR11, and AMD Applications".

Can this be the culprit for the absence of Vcore? Watching this video and of what I can understand, this can be the case.

Any thoughts?
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi,
              The VCore voltage will be switched on by the EC (super I/O) after a certain stage in the boot process. The ISL CPU power should be enabled through the EN (pin36). Can you check the voltage at EN should be close to 1v after some point in the boot?
              Also the VID0-7 should set the digital selection of the voltage, you can try them also. For intel CPUs it should be pulled up by default and the processor during its operation should drive them as needed.

Also check the voltage to the ISL chip (5V and 12V) and do extra care for probing the pins. I usually use a small sewing needle to get access to the contacts.

Before the processor boots power should be present in:
              Super I/O, BIOS chip, RAM (DDR3: 1.5v, 0.75v, 3.3v), PCH (multiple rails) and depending on the design a few other things. Vcore is usually the last thing to power up.

Also probe the voltage after seating the RAM and CPU, of course carefully.

Comment

Thanks a lot for your reply.

In order to respond in the right way can you please inform which is the Super I/O chip in my case?

Thanks in advance

Comment

The super I/O chip (or called Embedded controller) is the one named ITE in the diagram above. I cannot figure out the number there, but you should be able to get the pinout of the chip (even from a different motherboard circuit diagram which uses this chip) and find out the VCC pins. Good luck.

Comment

Try to flash this firmware.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X