Analog Multimeter Readings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Analog Multimeter Readings

Gorgeous and not too expensive in the UK. I reverse engineered one from IBM and it was mostly shift registers and a DC-DC on board, so it wouldn't take any CPU work doing mux scanning.
    VFD's are great even in sunlight with a blue/green filter.

Comment

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/254794673033

Comment

The second board looks like Bally, with a 6-pin header to the Noritake VFD PW-899-101. That might use a Noritake/iTron custom IC controller possibly ISE25001.
        The others are HD44780 compatible but 14-16 pin headers needed to support parallel-mode.
        I'd remove the display and toss the Bally board. Noritake would have datasheets.
        eBay global shipping ripoff makes it crazy expensive. Sigh.

Comment

noritaka wont give data for syncronous interfaces - i tried,
          it's a trade/vendor secret.

i know enough to use it though.
          (because i have access to the gameboards and a logic analyser)

that interface looks interesting though - it may be MDB or some extension of ccTalk

but i did notice that disgusting shipping cost!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
            the vfd's arent multiplexed, they have onboard microcontrollers that handle ASCII conversion and mapping from a syncronous serial interface.
            That's what i described you would most likely find onboard a VFD.
            A µC scanning (multiplexing) the vfd (most likely thru an IC because voltage levels) and a serial (often 3 wire) interface communication port.
            In more compact designs the µC can multiplex itself the vfd (e.g. https://datasheets.maximintegrated.c...ds/MAX6850.pdf)
            Originally posted by redwire View Post
            Gorgeous and not too expensive in the UK. I reverse engineered one from IBM and it was mostly shift registers and a DC-DC on board, so it wouldn't take any CPU work doing mux scanning.
            VFD's are great even in sunlight with a blue/green filter.
            Providing that you can figure out the µC communication instruction set an all onboard vfd will much easier to re-use

Comment

the microcontrollers are more high level than just multiplexing,
              you can set the cursor position and send characters, set brightness, flashing or underline, scroll the line left or right etc.
              it really is a terminal emulator almost.

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
                The second board looks like Bally, with a 6-pin header to the Noritake VFD PW-899-101. That might use a Noritake/iTron custom IC controller possibly ISE25001.
                The others are HD44780 compatible but 14-16 pin headers needed to support parallel-mode.
                I'd remove the display and toss the Bally board. Noritake would have datasheets.
                eBay global shipping ripoff makes it crazy expensive. Sigh.
                Yes there are some Notitake datasheets and even some Arduino libraries available. For Noritake VFD PW-899-101 (Noritake Itron GU140X16G-7000 Dot Graphic VFD Display Module) the Arduino library and datasheets for GU128X64-800B as examples.

Comment

Working...
                X