Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ASUS X550CL - Works only with battery ?

Hello to all!

Another brainstorming, no indication of liquid, no indication of something blown (under microscope) , laptop works fine with battery (had the same to another laptop that was charged) and i saw it boots up with the battery just fine.

The DC-Jack , shows 19v ,inside the motherboard.

So the problem is afterwards i believe ?

Which place i should look first you think ?

Thanks a lot gyuz.
    Any help is much appreciated.
    Attached Files

Re: ASUS X550CL - Works only with battery ?

Sharing the boardview file for this logic board.

1) Start with the review of the charger IC @ PU15 = BQ24780.

2) Remove the battery. Attach the power adapter. Meter in DC volts (20v scale).

Check the voltage of ACDET signal against ground. What is the reading ?

3) Proceed to very carefully check if the LDO onboard this IC is working.

Pin # 24 (REGN) - what is the reading ?
    Attached Files

Comment

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=90356
      OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post

Holly molly ,i thank you both for the guides that you shared with me ,i will try my best
        Keep learning ,keep learning .
        Thanks guyz

Comment

I downloaded your .zip file but i cannot find anything like the PU15 not even on board not even in the boardview.
          But from the file you showed me i searched some other values.

I mean based on the "ACDET" i searched in the .zip file and found those values.
          Attached Files

Comment

Something else, just in case i changed the MOSFET (that are coming in with DC) because i saw something strange. (if i don't understand correctly let me know)

1 mosfet , has 19v ,and the second one is dropped below 19v.
            From the schematic i see they are in parallel ? So shouldn't it be 19v as well?

The mosfets are brand new.
            Attached Files

Comment

Yes, they should be the same voltage value.

Remove all power and check the resistance between the 2 mosfets for these pins. You should have ~0 ohms as you measure between the mosfet pins since it is a large and common PCB trace.

Next consider to desolder mosfet PQ8802 and power up again to confirm the 19v reaches the PQ8802 pads.

Remove for now PC8812 to confirm it is not shorting.

What are the markings of the original mosfets for each?

What are the markings of the replacement mosfets?

Comment

Remove all power and check the resistance between the 2 mosfets for these pins. You should have ~0 ohms as you measure between the mosfet pins since it is a large and common PCB trace.

Next consider to desolder mosfet PQ8802 and power up again to confirm the 19v reaches the PQ8802 pads.

Will do by morning.

I had bought long ago, many MOSFET with the same values, i mean the same exact type. Not even a single marking / value / letter is different.
                Even with the "old" ones the 19v is not present on the 2nd mosfet in the , pins that i am showing to you .

Strange for me ...

I will check the resistance between the 2 . If not , i think there is somewhere else the problem ? I mean "before" that ?

Comment

Did resistance check and it was 0.00

But , now don't know why the MOSFET on the side that they are connected, don't show 19V any more...

Removed the PC8812 and PC8805 and nothing changed.

So the problem starts from somewhere else ?

Comment

Removed both PQ8802 and PQ8801 same behaviour again.
                    One side no 19v.

Changed again the MOSFET of PQ8801. One side 19v and the other side again 0

PC8812 one side 0.05 and the other 0.00 ,and PC8805 ,one side 19v the other 0.00volt.

What the hell is going on?

Comment

PR8806 (Resistor near DC-in) is also 0.05

Comment

Post a close and clear pic of this mosfet area.

If there is a solid pcb trace between the 2 mosfets, the voltage should reach the other side.

Comment

If there is a solid pcb trace between the 2 mosfets, the voltage should reach the other side.
                          Done.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Leave in only the mosfet that passes through the 19 volts.

Remove the next mosfet. Then power up.

Do you see the 19v on the removed mosfet pads?

If not, remove the cap that is in between the mosfets on the pcb. Test again.

If the trace is solid, it has to pass the voltage through.

Also review the bottom side of your mosfets to confirm they are being soldered in correctly in the right direction.

Compare the pins that are shorted under the part to the pcb tracks for the mosfet sites.

Comment

I don't know if the battery is dead,but now it won't turn on either :P After all those , tests to see if it works in battery 100% (and i don't have the 2nd laptop that i used to charge her up) .

But is strange....

Comment

Also review the bottom side of your mosfets to confirm they are being soldered in correctly in the right direction.

Compare the pins that are shorted under the part to the pcb tracks for the mosfet sites.
                                Yes i already did that.

I used only the 1st mosfet (Tried 3 different chips- PQ8801) but on the side that is connected to the "red" wire of the DC-Jack ,it comes 19volt. (on the chip is the side that all pins are connected into one single section).
                                On the pins (1-2-3-4) still remains 0.20volt

(The ones that i have in circle) don't mind the PQ8802.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Removed everything.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

See attached. Do you see 19 volts on each pad with the arrows ?

When you had 19 volts with the mosfet soldered @ PQ8801, the voltage should be present on each red circle pad.

Review the BOTTOM side of the mosfets and share the pics.

They must be soldered in the same orientation - look for the 4 pads that are common under the mosfet and it must be soldered on the PCB in the same direction.

Both are N-channel mosfets - can you share the exact p/n used for the replacements ?

The BV file references QM3024M3 for the 2 * mosfets.
                                    Attached Files
                                    Last edited by mon2; 06-07-2022, 05:59 AM.

Comment

See attached. Do you see 19 volts on each pad with the arrows ?

When you had 19 volts with the mosfet soldered @ PQ8801, the voltage should be present on each red circle pad.

Review the BOTTOM side of the mosfets and share the pics.

They must be soldered in the same orientation - look for the 4 pads that are common under the mosfet and it must be soldered on the PCB in the same direction.

Both are N-channel mosfets - can you share the exact p/n used for the replacements ?

The BV file references QM3024M3 for the 2 * mosfets.
                                      No , even without the mosfets on it, i don't have 19V.
                                      Even with PQ8801 i don't have 19V on the back end of it.
                                      It's like it's gone dead?! Strange.

The mosfets from the factory are : M3024M 32919P
                                      And the ones that i got replacement are : M3024M 1XLN6

Now, i understand what you are saying and for sure, i have soldered them correctly because you cannot solder them , opposite or wrong. Because only 4 pins are from one side,and on the other (opposite) side,it's all as a single pin (i think is commong to ground)

But, i have tried everything, 19V doesn't go anywhere not even from the 1st mosfet (it comes inside ,but never leaves....)
                                      Opposite from the motherboard ,there is nothing i mean in case something from behind it's not / soldered / broken etc.

So i think the problem starts from the MOSFETS ? What the hell?
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by AccountSaver View Post
                                        But, i have tried everything, 19V doesn't go anywhere not even from the 1st mosfet (it comes inside ,but never leaves....)
                                        So i think the problem starts from the MOSFETS ? What the hell?
                                        Power is nothing without control. What are the gate voltages,where do they come from ?
                                        All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Working...
                                        X