Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Graco ST MAX II 495 PC PRO , paint spray machine help

Hi all

Customer mentioned that he overloaded this unit by powering with all settings at full .

Anyone worked on this model before ?

It's a US made device .

A schematic would be really helpful , but not holding my breath .
    Attached Files

Re: Graco ST MAX II 495 PC PRO , paint spray machine help

Originally posted by zen View Post
    Hi all

Customer mentioned that he overloaded this unit by powering with all settings at full .

Anyone worked on this model before ?

It's a US made device .

A schematic would be really helpful , but not holding my breath .
    I found a repair manual but no pcb schematic. Is there a part number on the pcb
    Attached Files
    All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Thanks

16X297 seems to be the PCB number .

Quite funny when i type it into Google . A repair kit popped up , which is the whole board , at a cost of £370

Comment

So far found C14,C15,C16 & C17 ( 47MF , 25V ) , poor ESR readings .

Also D16 , which seems to be O/C , has previously been reworked and/or replaced .

Messaged customer to find out what the hell is going on .
        Attached Files

Comment

C20 looking preggo, D16 pin not soldered, was a gorilla inside trying to fix this?

Comment

Yes unfortunately

Customer took it upon himself to replace D16 , so now i need to try & discovered part number of original.

C20 on my to do list as well .

Comment

Originally posted by zen View Post
              Thanks

16X297 seems to be the PCB number .

Quite funny when i type it into Google . A repair kit popped up , which is the whole board , at a cost of £370
              There`s some new boards on alibaba https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...620074426.html ,it doesn`t mention how much the shipping would cost though.
              All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Thanks , still battling with this one .

U7 ( VIPER 12A ) control chip also seems to be faulty .

D16 is fed from a transformer ,then follows through R17 which is cooked , then to the supply pin 4 ( VDD ) of U7 .

Only 2 pins of D16 are actually connected , therefore assume it's some sort of fast switching rectifier diode .

Can anyone help with replacement advice for D16 ,& also value of R17 , which i assume will be quite low .
                Attached Files
                Last edited by zen; 06-24-2022, 08:51 AM.

Comment

The component installed at D16 now seems to be a transistor (BCR162) any sot23-3 200ma or higher diode should work. Many circuits use a 1N4148 for this diode, so find a similar SOT23-3 (BAT54, BAT54C)
                  The resistor could be anything low 0~10Ω maybe
                  Last edited by R_J; 06-24-2022, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Thanks RJ , yes that was the customer messing about with it .

Was thinking around 10R myself .

Comment

D16 is usually a SOT-23 diode like BAV99, BAS16, MMBD4148 etc. I think BAT54 at 30V is too low. Around 10R looks reasonable for the resistor. C20 must be in bad shape.

What fused? A shorted Viper 12 usually blows the top off, and this board has pretty thin pcb traces and looks 4-layer. Many scuffs and nicks on traces/solder mask. Even parts are trashed, R7, U11- could you use a bigger hammer.
                      I'd check with an ohmmeter the path from primary cap to transformer to see if there is an open-circuit. I don't see what fused yet.
                      There's no feedback opto either, so it might not be an isolated supply.
                      Viper 12 datasheet

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                        The component installed at D16 now seems to be a transistor (BCR162) any sot23-3 200ma or higher diode should work. Many circuits use a 1N4148 for this diode, so find a similar SOT23-3 (BAT54, BAT54C)
                        The resistor could be anything low 0~10Ω maybe
                        The bat54 voltage is a bit low, go for something around 100v

Comment

Hi Redwire ,the scuffs are due to all the hardened glue i needed to removed so that i could gain access to many of the components .

Cheers on the advice for diode type guys , will check to see what i have in stock .

Comment

All that messing about , then customer pulls repair

Comment

I understand the conformal coating can make the repair extra hell. I use needle probes to poke through for readings, and hot air gun to heat/soften the coating and scrape it off.
                              TBH the board is a piece of junk, nobody puts a MCU ceramic oscillator right next to the SMPS primary. Skinny traces and more glue please.

Customer seems to keep trying people to repair it for $0.99 or something. If someone already was in there, I don't take on the repair because it can be such a mess.

Comment

Thanks for the additional info Redwire .

I normally pop board onto my pre heater to loosen the glue , but this was quite hard heat resistant stuff & couldn't poke the meter probes through .

Next one i see ,cost will double

Comment

some conformal coating disolves with white spirit.

Comment

Great tip STj , will try that next time .

Comment

Working...
                                    X