X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Originally posted by dmill89 View Post
    Not sure about the rest of the world but in the US those are both very common.
    In Europe too. Just not the UK/Enland - they're always special with everything!

Originally posted by dmill89 View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen a grounded (3-prong) plug on a receiver in the US, always just 2-prong
    +1
    Never seen it either -even in the rest of (mainland) Europe, where they have 230 V AC mains

Originally posted by stj View Post
    maybe coz your mains voltage is half-missing!
    LOL
    But @ 60 Hz ... so slightly easier to break through skin capacitance.
    Of course with 240V AC (or even DC), it just doesn't care about skin capacitance and current simply "brute forces" its way through you. .
    Last edited by momaka; 01-07-2019, 10:24 PM.

Comment

2: unearthed metal chassis - great way to die if the primary side gets damaged inside.
      So you're telling me that I have a "suicide receiver"?
      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
        benchmark on the drive:

Looks like it's failing!
        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
          Looks like it's failing!
          Looks like you're quoting a post from 2011!

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
            That's a really good video card! Prices of good AGP video cards are starting to go a bit crazy right now (well, ATI less than nVidia).

Make sure to keep it cooled well (under 55C at all times), as it's from the time of the Xbox 360 days and a bit failure prone. Better yet, also add a small heatsink (chipset HS from dead motherboard will do) on the ATI bridge chip (if it has one) on the back of the video card. Those tiny exposed dies run very hot and are another reason these cards stop working after a while.
            I could try sourcing a big ASUS Geforce 210 heatsink. They're absolutely huge and can passively cool almost anything.
            Main rig:
            Gigabyte B75M-D3H
            Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
            Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
            16GB DDR3-1600
            Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
            FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
            120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
            Delux MG760 case

Comment

So you're telling me that I have a "suicide receiver"?
              only if something really bad happens inside between the cord-grip and transformer.
              like the switch melting-down.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                Looks like it's failing!
                Looks like you're quoting a post from 2011!
                Do I even still have that drive???
                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Free Dell Precision M6400, 3.06GHz C2D 8gb RAM (maxes @ 16gb), 250gb SSD & 1tb spinner, 1920x1200 display. Case has a few dings, but overall in good shape. Batt is toast, OS needed to be reinstalled (someone put W10 on it).
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                  Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                  http://folding.stanford.edu/
                  Team : 49813
                  Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

only if something really bad happens inside between the cord-grip and transformer.
                    like the switch melting-down.
                    RJARRRPCGP's Technics SA-EX140 has a "soft-touch" power switch (i.e. like a computer there is always standby power, when you press the button it sends a signal which trips the relay for the main power transformer), the only place the line goes to is directly to a power board at the back of the unit which is connected to the transformer and is fuse protected.

(a pic I grabbed from the internet)

The Onkyo TX-910 I posted has both a traditional power switch that disconnects the mains and a "soft-touch" on/standby switch, but the "hard" power switch is isolated from the case by a plastic button (the actual metal switch is on a circuit board, a square piece of plastic goes through the front panel and pushes the actual switch). I suppose if the power-cord was cut/rubbed through somewhere between the cord-grip and power board(something that would not happen during normal operation and would only occur after a faulty repair) it could energize the case but that is a risk of virtually any metal-cased ungrounded electronic device (just about every piece of audio-video equipment and many other common devices), a line-cord being rubbed-through outside of the case would be a bigger shock risk and that risk affects every electrical device that doesn't have a GFCI (aka: RCD).

Attached Files
                    Last edited by dmill89; 01-08-2019, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                      I could try sourcing a big ASUS Geforce 210 heatsink. They're absolutely huge and can passively cool almost anything.
                      Looked that up. Don't expect the x1650 to be cooled passively with that heatsink of the ASUS GF 210. The x1650 is rated for around 45-55W of TDP, depending on which GPU chip it has (90 nm vs. 80 nm). Either way, you will need a fan that blows a lot of air over the GF 210 heatsink to keep the x1650 cool. ATI seriously under-sized the stock coolers on the x1600 and x1650 cards, so consider something bigger than the stock one. Something like the IceQ Turbo on the on the HD4670 should be about right. I actually have one of those on a HIS HD4670 card (which is rated for 65W TDP), and that cooler is barely enough to keep the card under 60C in normal room temperature.

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                        Free Dell Precision M6400, 3.06GHz C2D 8gb RAM (maxes @ 16gb), 250gb SSD & 1tb spinner, 1920x1200 display. Case has a few dings, but overall in good shape. Batt is toast, OS needed to be reinstalled (someone put W10 on it).
                        I spoke too soon about the battery....It will run for ~1hr 45min. For a Dell precision, that's stellar! This post created from it....it replaced my m6300 I've used the last ~7 years. It has a C2D extreme x9100 @ 3.06, but it will run a C2Q extreme quad core @ 2.53, which is the fastest quad core it can take....choices choices.... I will max the RAM @ 16gb and upgrade the fx2700 512mb to the x3700 1gb...all this can be done for under $100!
                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                        Team Stats

Comment

Keeping it or selling it? If selling let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by brethin View Post
                            Keeping it or selling it? If selling let me know.
                            I'm going to diddle around with it for a bit and see how much I can hotrod it....after that, I may consider parting with it. I've been eyeballing a potentially cheap m6800, but from the m6600 and newer, Dell in their infinite wisdom decided to discontinue all 16:10 displays and jump on the 16:9 bandwagon....which is fine for a TV, but nothing beats 16:10 for a PC.
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

I'm going to diddle around with it for a bit and see how much I can hotrod it....after that, I may consider parting with it. I've been eyeballing a potentially cheap m6800, but from the m6600 and newer, Dell in their infinite wisdom decided to discontinue all 16:10 displays and jump on the 16:9 bandwagon....which is fine for a TV, but nothing beats 16:10 for a PC.
                              The M6800's are nice... my secondary (plant floor beater) laptop at work is one. But still not cheap

The M6700 and M6600 has flimsy displays... ugh. pass.
                              sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Scored an Benq Joybook A32 (Pentium M/512MB/60GB) and a Acer Aspire 5250 (AMD E-450/no RAM/ no HDD) for $12. Both working fine, although both need new keyboards (Benq has missing keys and the Acer has random presses) but otherwise both work fine, and the Acer looks amazingly clean.
                                Main rig:
                                Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                                16GB DDR3-1600
                                Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                                120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                                Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by mikay786 View Post
                                  Quality monitor that had one a few years ago.
                                  Yes, but the size limits how many you can use on a system.

And, the single video input means you can't (easily) "share" it between two systems (to justify the extra space consumed).

Comment

Got some decent stuff at Carboot yesterday

Apple iBook G4 - no power adapter - untested - £10
                                    sennheiser HDR 120 ii wireless headphones - £2 - I seen the transmitter at the same stall but didn’t click at the time they were supposed to go together! Hopefully next week it’s still there.

PS4 - £25 - banned online and hdd toast. Still a bargain as otherwise works fine for offline games.
                                    2 x Xbox 360 slims 4gb, 2 pads £20
                                    Apple magic wireless keyboard £3 working
                                    Sony hdt-500 freview box. No remote or psu £1
                                    Old Pentax asasi camera and loads of lenses £25 - bit of a punt probably a little too much £ for a punt they seem to be worth around £75+ so not too bad

Comment

damn, i would have loved that mac, it's the last of the candy-coloured ppc clamshell ones isnt it!!
                                      btw, common fault is bad soldering on the charging socket.

Comment

Speaking of the charging socket the damm power adapters seem to be pricy.

I’ve got loads of dell and hp 65w adapter lying about spare just trying to figure out if I can modify and use one of them. The jack looks like a phono style connector but probably a proprietary apple connector?

Comment

no idea.

Comment

Working...
                                          X