Nand flash question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nand flash question

I have just seen this question asked on another forum so thought i would post it here too as we are seeing nand issues too so whats you thoughts regarding this.

I figured out many LCDs using Vestel-based boards with "only blinking LEDs" have worn out NAND flash chips. If power supply is working well (no capacitor problem) NAND flash is main problem. I unsoldered NAND128W3A from Vestel 17MB70 which normally should have 16MB capacity but when reading it with a NAND programmer it shows nearly 5MB bad blocks! Some mainboards do have one big NAND, some do have two (one big and one small)...

My question is: Has anybody tried to swap faulty NAND with a brand new (empty) flash and tried a firmware update via USB? Is that possible or is bootloader which starts USB update located in NAND, too so that using a new (empty) flash update cannot start? Because of it is TSOP48 package I do not want to try without need....

Re: Nand flash question

I put a brand new NAND chip on a 17MB95 board and installed firmware. It corrupted again in about 6 months.

Comment

I wonder what causes them to corrupt? maybe power spikes going too the ic?

Comment

Well someone had a suggestion about this here:
        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...94&postcount=9

Haven't seen anything else to back that up though.

Comment

Also, to answer your other question. On the ones I've worked on the bootloader was on a seperate SPI ic, so was possible to do update via usb with new NAND chip.

Comment

Which NAND programmer do you use Vince ?

Comment

i see the adaptors for the ics on aliexpress really cheap i have the tl866 programmer already, the post i copied was from another forum so was wondering if possible to re programme new ones etc
              https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...999.262.yo6lai
              Last edited by vinceroger69; 04-06-2017, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Atmels reason for data corruption is low voltage. http://elcodis.com/parts/5786535/AT9...html#datasheet
                I assume no responsibility for any stupid suggestions I might post.

Comment

Hi Vinceroger69..I don't think the tl866 miniprog can program nand flash memory, You would need something like an Rt809f with the Peb1 addon module, but it would probably be better to get the newer Rt809H. Its around $120 from china but it does more e.g. Ec io chips on laptops..

Comment

Originally posted by jellytot View Post
                    Hi Vinceroger69..I don't think the tl866 miniprog can program nand flash memory, You would need something like an Rt809f with the Peb1 addon module, but it would probably be better to get the newer Rt809H. Its around $120 from china but it does more e.g. Ec io chips on laptops..
                    I will have a read in the user manual etc before i buy the adaptor for it.

Comment

Working...
                    X