Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Laptop's AC adapter turns off when connected, corrosion on power-related components

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Laptop's AC adapter turns off when connected, corrosion on power-related componen

Thanks for the reply! It had been awhile since the last one, so I figured everyone was out of ideas! However, I've decided to sent the laptop into the repair lab. Since we know there's some kind of problem with the GPU, which is something a bit beyond the abilities of home repair.

Anyway, within hours of receiving the laptop, they've tested it and discovered the following symptoms:
    • Scratches on the mainboard.
    • Missing screws (I also discovered this when I went to re-assemble it!).
    • Scratches on the case (there's a really big one that's hard to miss!).
    • Does not power on.
    • Dirty motherboard

And here's their diagnosis:
    • Damaged capacitors
    • Broken keyboard backlight port (I noticed this too!)
    • Breakdown of the GPU (you guys called it!)

And here's the list of repairs the motherboard needs:
    • Repair of the GPU
    • Multiple capacitor replacement
    • Keyboard backlight cable port replacement (I'm glad this can be fixed!)
    • Thermal grease replacement (though I might re-do this myself, since I don't know if they will be using my preferred brand)
    • Motherboard cleaning (I'm glad they're going to do this, the motherboard was really dirty and I wasn't sure how I would clean it!)

All up, it's going to cost around ¥32,800. Which isn't too bad, since that means all up, it's only cost me around ¥60,000 for a top-end Alienware 15, which usually go for over ¥100,000! And the stores sell used ones for over ¥ 300,000!

Anyway, thanks for all your help with the repairs guys! It's a shame we weren't able to fix it, but we came close!
    Last edited by fireaza; 11-16-2018, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X