Acer Swift 3 SF314-51 not powering up - leds flashing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Acer Swift 3 not powering up - leds flashing

Yes, fully agree with@kvntm. Reflowing wont do any good-instead you may kill the chip(if it is still alive). However, most of the laptops(new gen with onboard cpu) sold on websites like ebay have soc chip bad. This may or may not be the case here, but i doubt that the game is over.

Comment

Ok gentlemen so I tried removing that chip with a hole, but no change. As I plug the AC, the blue led comes on steady no reaction to power on.

Comment

Any ideas on what to try next would be welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by rddube View Post
          Any ideas on what to try next would be welcome!
          Do you have a way to contact the original owner to ask him what he did to the board? I'm starting to point at a dead/damaged EC.

It does pretty much all "housekeeping" stuff on the board. It controls all buttons, leds and keyboard. It also controls the startup sequence and manages all power rails. The behavior changes with things that are EC related (charging, power button). I'm certain that the previous owner randomly injected voltage into the power rails. This would explain the exploded chip. It wont explode on its own.

I'll try to find out more about what this chip connects to.

Comment

Hi KvnTM,

No I have no contact with the person who worked on it, as I bought it from the owner who had it serviced by 2 different techs. So difficult to know. Excuse my ignorance but what is an EC?

Comment

Hi KvnTM,

No I have no contact with the person who worked on it, as I bought it from the owner who had it serviced by 2 different techs. So difficult to know. Excuse my ignorance but what is an EC?
              The big ITE chip.

Comment

The burnt chip is controlled by PCH.

Comment

Originally posted by mcplslg123 View Post
                  The burnt chip is controlled by PCH.
                  So the PCH probably received a good dose of over voltage. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by KvnTM View Post
                    So the PCH probably received a good dose of over voltage. RIP.
                    Alas, these modern day SOC's have made our life miserable as everyother laptop has soc failure and its not viable to change the chip as supply is not reliable and the cost is skyhigh.

Comment

Ok, so will RIP this laptop. Thank you gentlemen for your help in trying to get it going. Thank you very much!

Comment

Originally posted by mcplslg123 View Post
                        Alas, these modern day SOC's have made our life miserable as everyother laptop has soc failure and its not viable to change the chip as supply is not reliable and the cost is skyhigh.
                        These soc's have pros and cons.. They are way more efficient than older generations but a failure means a complete write off on most laptops if it is not a 4k$ MacBook or something else really expensive... I could live with a 5mm thicker device if it comes with a socketed cpu. We live in a throw-away society..

Ok, so will RIP this laptop. Thank you gentlemen for your help in trying to get it going. Thank you very much!
                        Sadly yes. Fixing it will cost more than getting a replacement board.. You're welcome, that's what the forum is for The dude who worked on this one prior was an idiot.. I hope the previous owner didn't pay money for his "service"

Comment

Hello, I have a not working board CA4DB_10L rev 2.2 from Acer SF314-51 with similar symptoms. Blue light comes up immediately after connecting the charger or pressing power button when operating on battery. Orange light comes up sometimes with connected battery, however it's not charging, taking only 100 mV at 19 V.

Most of the voltages are present on coils, except VCORE (U8002) and VCCGT (U8003) which are zero. CPU is getting slightly warm.

measurement on both U8002 and U8003:
                          PIN1 PWM_A - 2.53 V (I don't have oscilloscope)
                          PIN2 FCCM_A - 0.01 V
                          PIN8 VIN - 19.20 V
                          resistance to ground on output coils L8000 6.5 and L8001 5.1 ohms

Please, any thoughts why the VCORE and VCCGT are missing? CPU/GPU is burnt?

I've done some measurements also on ISL95859 (U8000)

(21 and 22 are swapped in schemantic, or am I counting ic pinout in wrong way ? )
                          PIN21 FCCM_A - 0.01 V
                          PIN22 PWM_A - 2.51 V

PIN33 VIN - 19.21 V
                          PIN34 VCC - 5.1 V
                          PIN38 VR_HOT - 0.00 V
                          PIN39 VR_READY - 3.3 V
                          PIN40 VR_ENABLE - 3.3 V

Comment

Is ram voltage there?? 1.8V there??

Comment

Yes, there's 1.22 V on capacitors around the RAM chips and on one of the coils (L8300 ?)

And 1.79 V on G918 regulator output (U8400 in schemantic)

Comment

Why hijack someone else's thread for a different problem? Open your own.
                                OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

I had almost the same problem with a swift sf314-51
                                  I this case the blue led was flashing or always blue

Seems to be no power on DDR4 memory ,replaced the
                                  Rt8231 ic
                                  See pictures
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                  X