HP Envy 15 cannot charge battery!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HP Envy 15 cannot charge battery!

swapped the component circled in the image attached, (I believe this is PQ15) still same story

Regards
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by grahamw01 View Post
      swapped the component circled in the image attached, (I believe this is PQ15) still same story

Regards
      where you getting the ic? from the other envy board? if so that is kinda pointless since that board is messing up as well.... or you getting it from random laptop boards?

Comment

Originally posted by heavymachines View Post
        where you getting the ic? from the other envy board? if so that is kinda pointless since that board is messing up as well.... or you getting it from random laptop boards?
        Yes from the other motherboard, but I believe the other board is broken because the GPU overheated. The charging circuit still works in the original.

Cheers

Comment

Regards
          what do you mean same story? are you still getting 19v on pin 14? did you test the ic before putting it in?

Comment

Originally posted by opamp View Post
            what do you mean same story? are you still getting 19v on pin 14? did you test the ic before putting it in?
            yes, and also the other motherboard still managed to charge the battery with the swapped component,

thanks

Comment

Yes from the other motherboard, but I believe the other board is broken because the GPU overheated. The charging circuit still works in the original.

Cheers
              ok i could have swore you said both boards stopped charging ...but ok

Comment

ok i could have swore you said both boards stopped charging ...but ok

yeah on post#19...

Comment

ok ...plug in bad board good charger and do some live test without powering it on lol not that it will but, been looking at this data sheet page 42 and i realized there is 2 battery connectors we either have one of 2 things going on ..it either a failed ic to primary battery on cn5 or the stupid thing is not switching from battery 2 back to battery 1....on your kinda good board.........

so anyways lets charge your battery with the "bad" board good charging system and good board with bad charging system and do some live testing on these ic's and report what is live and what is not...specific voltage is not a critical at this point because i want to get an idea how this beast is thinking when power off and just charging.... please check this list of board addresses at their corresponding ic's and tell me what is live and what is not... and make a list for each board and please title it with "bad board good charging" and list below that and "good board with bad charging" with list below that and their board address with voltage or no voltage next to board addresses...

test these...
                  pq49
                  pq45
                  pq35
                  pq3
                  pq10
                  pu14
                  pq7
                  pq2
                  pq34
                  pq36

i have my suspicions but to early to fault anything at point let me know with above ic's and i will give you what to test next.... if necessary check each pin on each ic to make sure it is "dead" no voltage if you find any that are lifeless for voltage...
                  Last edited by heavymachines; 01-31-2013, 07:49 PM. Reason: details

Comment

thank you! I have found all the components, a few of them I don't think it is possible for me to test though.

I forgot to mention that the 'bad board good charge' is charging again.. U33 gets really hot though, I am scared to leave it on for too long..

Comment

okay, well it is not obvious where PQ2 is, could you please inform how many pins, PQ2, PQ7, PQ3 and PQ10 should have?

Anyway the breakdown, both boards turned off, not charging but plugged in.

good board bad charge, bad board good charge:

PQ49: 8.3V ------------- 8.3V
                      PQ45: 3.4V ------------- 19.2V
                      PQ35: 18.6V ------------ 12.3V
                      PQ3: 19V and 3V ------ 3V
                      PQ10: 19V and 3V ------ 19V
                      PQ14: 3V --------------- 3V
                      PQ7: 18V ------------- 12.3V
                      PQ2: - -
                      PQ36: 19.5V ----------- ~mV

Comment

thank you! I have found all the components, a few of them I don't think it is possible for me to test though.

I forgot to mention that the 'bad board good charge' is charging again.. U33 gets really hot though, I am scared to leave it on for too long..
                        what voltage is u33 getting on each board? and part number?
                        Last edited by heavymachines; 02-01-2013, 10:55 PM.

Comment

U11 Pin 14 should be at 0volts with out battery and 12v with battery. That's why the good board keeps cycling and the bad board get U33 hot, which by the way is going to get fried if you keep plugging in the ac adapter.

Comment

PU11 Pin 23 should be 0 so there is no voltage PL6 or +BATCHG.

Comment

what voltage is u33 getting on each board? and part number?
                              u33 is an ene kb3926qf d2, i checked a few voltages around the chip and they were both the same at about 3.3V, but I don't know what power is going into the chip, there is over 100 pins

Comment

Originally posted by opamp View Post
                                U11 Pin 14 should be at 0volts with out battery and 12v with battery. That's why the good board keeps cycling and the bad board get U33 hot, which by the way is going to get fried if you keep plugging in the ac adapter.
                                okay, so whats my next move?

I think U33 getting hot is something new and something I have done.. with in seconds if i lick my finger and touch the top of it it will boil off the liquid, but before attempting to fix the second board I used the original one to charge my battery for a few hours at a time.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Tuomo View Post
                                  PU11 Pin 23 should be 0 so there is no voltage PL6 or +BATCHG.
                                  Thank's Tuomo for joining this topic, I will look into it

Comment

EC chip quide charger chip when chargin by PU11 PIN2 if that PIN changes its state ON/OFF.

When high 3.3V OFF and ON 0V.

It is possible test which chip problem is PU11 or EC chip.

This can tested by removing PR 155 and take somewhere else 3.3V PU11 PIN 2.

When there is 3.3V ( OFF ) PL6 should be 0V no chargin.
                                    Last edited by Tuomo; 02-02-2013, 07:58 AM.

Comment

You can also remove PR155 if there is no voltage on PL6 problem is EC chip.
                                      sorry what is ec chip?
                                      thanks!

Comment

sorry what is ec chip?
                                        thanks!
                                        Just edit my early post when noticed signal OFF = 3.3V chargin OFF.

EC chip is U33 which control PU11 chargin chip.

Comment

Just edit my early post when noticed signal OFF = 3.3V chargin OFF.

EC chip is U33 which control PU11 chargin chip.
                                          Ah yes, well the reason I thought that chip is okay is because it also controls a lot of other things like USB right? The laptop works absolutely fine, either running off battery or just with the adaptor plugged in, it just wont charge, and I cant have the battery in when running off the AC because of the cycling which I am sure is not good for it..

Also, I am not sure if it is a big problem, but the voltage from PR155 is 3.03V not 3.3V. It is 3.33V on the motherboard that will charge though!

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                                          X