Tmk caps checker LC-15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tmk caps checker LC-15

Hi was wondering if anyone knew what voltage these are meant to run on?I replaced the 2 8mfd electros as they were leaky,fired up with variac when I turn up to about 150 volts Im getting nearly 300volts+ on the magic eye tube.I placed a 100k resistor across the 8mfd cap as per heathkit C3 circuit diagram ,that bought volts down to 200volts [bit better] but I think it would damage the tube if I wound variac upto 240volts[250 volts max to magic eye].Any help greatly apreciated or mods for this unit.
    Paul [New to Badcaps ,computers,electronics?/]

Re: Tmk caps checker LC-15

I can't find any reference to either "TMK" or "LC-15" on Google in relation to test equipment. This thing must be very rare, so it's not likely that anyone here would know anything about it. If you're seeing 300V of HT with only 150V of supply, I'd say it's probably meant to run on 117V (US mains voltage).
    It is a good shrubbery. I like the laurels particularly...

Comment

replace all paper caps.
      btw never heard of that brand.
      post a pic of your antique.
      i bet most here have never seen an eye tube!
      i have 3 looking at me now in old radios.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
        replace all paper caps.
        btw never heard of that brand.
        post a pic of your antique.
        i have 3 looking at me now in old radios.

It was a magic eye tube in my father's radio which got me fascinated by electronics.
        Just look at where it got me ....

Comment

Thanks for that really appreciate any help.I think I bought my esr meter off you Bob,or the chip for it[you placed a $2.00 coin with my receipt saying I had overpaid you]Any way Ive taken a few photos of my dinosaur but not sure how to attach them to this,,I think i have.Another member has just got one of these checkers its on another thread 'testing oil caps' and I think his name was japolytic,but Idont know if Im allowed to contact him .Ive gotta read the instructions for this forum...THANKS AGAIN bob and kc8adu for your help will check the other caps out and get back to you. paul

Comment

G'day Paul,
            I remember sticking the coin to the receipt a long time ago. You might have been one of the victims of the Rod Irving Electronics ESR meter kits which didn't contain a microcontroller - only a piece of paper telling the buyer to get it from me. Of course they never told me about this bit of trickery and made it look like it was my idea. Grrrr.
            Anyway, I still can't find any mention of that condenser checker in Google. Unfortunately your photos don't appear to have attached.
            If you can e-mail them to me at <fox_duipbv@trashmail.net>, I'll put them here for everyone to look at.

Cheers
            Bob

Comment

This is Paul's photo of his TMK Condenser Checker. Now that I've seen it, I remember seeing one before, somewhere. Surprising that it's hard to find any mention of them in Google.
              Attached Files

Comment

I think this is an oldschool equipment, which haven`t made it to the modern electronic repair tech`s desk and subsequently not into the .com world.

The problem with tis very useful device is, that you need some knowledge to get the right presets and to interpret the values.

Furthermore, i think such component level testing isn`t widely done anymore.

Comment

The otherday I was "ebaying",couldnt beleive what was still available as far as vintage electronics was concerned .Ive bought a few old valve radios planning to restore them. You can still buy a new valve if you want it. anyway the higher voltage caps needed a bit more testing which is why I got the checker ,and the old caps require reforming,which is not necessary for modern caps.I think that may be the reason why it hasnt made it to the .com world.

Comment

Reforming is required or at least recommended for any electrolytic cap, which was on the shelf or in equipment which was not used over a long period of time.

But sure, caps have been improved in this respect, that the initial leakage current does remain in safe regions and the caps may not blow that easily.

On the other hand, a cheap low voltage cap is not worth to much effort, compared with a more expensive high voltage cap in older equipment.
                    Last edited by gonzo0815; 10-02-2007, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Thanks for your input Gonzo good to hear other ideas,my problem has been fixed,replaced the rest of the caps and shes a goer. Im wrapped thankyou to all who helped ..cheers Paul

Comment

Anything that refers to a cap as a condenser is old school I think ...
                        does not mean if fixed it wont do the job it needs to do and looking at it,
                        looks like it was made for the valve era

this web site has a schematic of a heathkit C3 condenser checker.
                        you will need to clik on the second link

http://www.jvgavila.com/schem.htm

here is an Ebay auction of the Heathkit C3 (nice big photos of it)

here but ending 8 oct 2007
                        looks very similar in what it has to offer

Re the schematic
                        please dont anybody take it, its the same circuit as is in your Unit although it might be somewhat similar...I have no idea

Yes Bob getting hold of old info get be quite a task and sometimes you just cant find anything of real use on the item you looking for.

Good luck with it and have fun restoring the old radios...just be careful thought.

Yeah the is a lot of old test eq appears on Ebay...most I guess have found some piece of old junk and figure to make a quick buck but some stuff is, well gems in what they can do so worth getting and restoring for working on valve stuff.

I really don't want think about the prices valve testers get there especially the high end ones that really put valves through a work out

Since the ebay link will die found this on the net here

Cheers
                        Last edited by starfury1; 10-07-2007, 09:11 AM.
                        You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

OK didnt see that when I posted

heathkit C3 circuit diagram
                          Doh

in Paulh first post

You already had the C3 diagram
                          You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

Hi Doug,sorry I didnt really explain that I had the C3 diagram ,but I am really pleased with all the help I did get,my mums been pretty crook over the last week and Ive been busy etc and did not get much time to look over Bandcaps,or at the checker . I purchased the unit from ebay for $15.00 bargain heh.
                            Cheers Paul

Comment

just found this page while browsing on magic eye

thought I post it for those that may be interested in the magic eye

http://antiqueradio.org/magiceye.htm

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
                                replace all paper caps.
                                I know what a magic eye is.

The Grundig Majestic 2028 I got for $30.00 because it had bad caps (what a shocker ) and sold for $160 bucks on E-bay had one.

I wouldn't call it a magic eye it wasn't round like the originals it was a straight bar that closed in from both sides.

That was my first ever recap ah the memories.

That point to point wiring was a nightmare give me a PCB any day.

I don't know how technicians ever dealt with that stuff it just looked like a rat maze to me even with the schematic.

Oddly enough I remember reading that a component needed for the green phosphor on those tubes was mined in New Jersey where I live wierd.
                                Last edited by Krankshaft; 01-08-2008, 10:21 AM.
                                Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Originally posted by Krankshaft

The Grundig Majestic 2028 I got for $30.00 because it had bad caps (what a shocker ) and sold for $160 bucks on E-bay had one.

I wouldn't call it a magic eye it wasn't round like the originals it was a straight bar that closed in from both sides.
                                  Ah, that would probably be the famous EM84. I've attached a .gif animation of what they look like ....
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Yup that was it.

I don't know how often the set was used but it still was pretty bright.
                                    Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

"Old school"? Come a little closer so I can whack you with my walker! I used a Heathkit capacitor checker in high school (secondary school). And Heathkit 'scopes (untriggered!) and VTVMs (Vacuum Tube Volt Meters, which plugged into AC and had to warm up before use). Heathkit sold build-it-yourself kits and kind of faded out of sight in the late 70s and early 80s.
                                      PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                                      To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Krankshaft

Oddly enough I remember reading that a component needed for the green phosphor on those tubes was mined in New Jersey where I live wierd.
                                        It's probably the mineral willemite, found in abundance in Franklin, NJ. Amazing what you can find on the net if you do some searching! More info at http://www.galleries.com/minerals/si...t/willemit.htm

Comment

Working...
                                        X