Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alienware M14x R2 with 7 beeps error

Originally posted by caspian View Post
    In addition, try another CPU or test your cpu on another board.
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I put the M14x R2 CPU in my M17x R4 and it had 7 beeps so I put the M17x R4 CPU in the M14x R2 and got 5 quick beeps then put the CMOS battery in and power drained and it works!!!! So it was the +5VS line and the CPU that were the culprits now it's going to cost around $100 - $150 for a CPU depending which one I get, so I would be spending around $350 on it, I've enjoyed working on it and learnt a lot

Now I have to reassemble and install Windows and drivers when I get time to make sure the GPU is working properly.

Ha, I know for certain now the LCD is good
    Attached Files

Comment

great job

Comment

Originally posted by caspian View Post
        great job
        Thank you all for your help with this repair, I couldn't have done it without it I will certainly be back if I get another project system to repair
        Last edited by Johndill; 10-20-2017, 01:13 AM.

Comment

good work man glad u were able to fix it. my m14x still has some problem with gpu or vram

Comment

Originally posted by dellxps15 View Post
            good work man glad u were able to fix it. my m14x still has some problem with gpu or vram
            Thanks for the help to make it possible I've read your thread and it not working after installing video drivers certainly sounds like GPU, but unfortunately the M14x R2 is BGA and not MXM, I hope you can get yours fixed soon

Comment

So far everything is working except two things, the touchpad as the ribbon was already damaged when I got it (trying to patch it up), The "Alienware" logo LED blue colour doesn't work, the GT650M seems to be working perfectly so far
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Johndill View Post
                Thanks for the help to make it possible I've read your thread and it not working after installing video drivers certainly sounds like GPU, but unfortunately the M14x R2 is BGA and not MXM, I hope you can get yours fixed soon
                i have a rework station and put already a new bga, with same results....

my last chance is new vram chips and then anoter new bga gpu...

Comment

Got an i7 3630QM to replace the original and 8GB RAM at a great price, I've got the touchpad working and it runs great!
                  Attached Files

Comment

That is great, i always enjoy when a complicated repair comes to a successful ending! Have fun with your new machine.
                    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

we learned to not trust dell beep codes

Comment

Originally posted by dellxps15 View Post
                        we learned to not trust dell beep codes
                        Actually the CPU 7 beeps turned out to be wright in the end but the board sometimes gave 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6 beeps randomly, except 8 beeps lol

Comment

Working...
                        X