Hp Probook 455 G3 DAX73AMB6E1 blinking charge light, not turning on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hp Probook 455 G3 DAX73AMB6E1 blinking charge light, not turning on

Power adaptor arrived, and its defective, waiting for RMA. just about had it with this. I guess back to looking for a replacement. TKO doesn't have any more.

Comment

If you haven't already, do make sure to test the AC adapter without plugging it into the motherboard.

Start with the AC adapter fully unplugged, then plug it into the wall and measure the voltage directly on the plug. Ground is the outside of the barrel and positive is the inner surface. Touching the center pin won't hurt anything (it just goes through a resistor to positive), but if you aren't also touching the inner surface with the probe, you'll probably read at least a volt less than expected (depending on the internal impedance of the multimeter).

Comment

I checked it like you said, and i'm not getting 19V, just like the other one did. also checked my multi meter, changed battery also, same results. Going to try and find a used original.

Comment

Ordered an OEM original, but its used, nothing out there but junk. Should arrive on the 9th, maybe then I can start to fix this junk laptop for the last time! Thanks for your patience BlueMidnight!

Comment

Alright. No problem.

Comment

Another defective adaptor, I think i'm just going to purchase another laptop.

Comment

Heh well that's certainly one way of resolving it.

Comment

found another, maybe Ill give this one last shot, still looking for a new laptop, any suggestions, no macs!

Comment

finally got a good Oem original charger. going to read through the thread, and start some basic tests, have two boards to repair.

Comment

Originally posted by rccrasher65 View Post
                      finally got a good Oem original charger. going to read through the thread, and start some basic tests, have two boards to repair.
                      misplaced dc power jack, need to order one, will do basic tests and post results.

Comment

Blue Midnight you avaliable to walk me through another board repair?

Comment

Blue Midnight you avaliable to walk me through another board repair?
                          I'll see what I can do. I'd recommend starting a new thread to describe the problem if you haven't already.

Comment

same board, same problem. I will go through this thread and test what you have told me previously. Let you know what I find. Thank you!

Comment

Alright. Hopefully something straightforward.

Comment

Testing this evening after work, thanks

Comment

Testing this evening after work, thanks
                                  Got some results for testing PL inductors. PL-25, 47.2 ohms, PL-16, 9.37K ohms PL-15, 65.6K ohms PL-12 27.89K ohms PL-11 169.9K ohms PL-18 16.1 ohms PL-17 28.1 ohms PL-21 21.1 ohms PR-103 3.97M ohms PL-6 22.87K ohms PL-1 1.369K ohms Will test other components later as my needle broke off of my meter probes, got to solder it back on.

Comment

So far nothing looks unusual. As a general rule, regular power rails should be in the kΩ range or higher, while CPU/GPU rails should be down around where your readings are (due to the leakage current from the huge number of transistors inside such devices).

Comment

Ok, good I'll finish with the other components, PQ5, and PQ9.

Comment

Ok, good I'll finish with the other components, PQ5, and PQ9.
                                        PQ9 results: Source to drain Pin1-0.535V , pin2-0.534V pin3-0.512V with opposite OL on all 3 pins. Gate to source all pins reading OL, no continuity! same with gate to drain, all pins OL, no continuity.
                                        PQ5 results: Source to drain Pin1-0.435V, Pin2-0.438V pin3-0.439V opposite OL on all three pins. Gate to source, and gate to drain all pins OL, no continunity. What would be next step?https://www.badcaps.net/forum/images/smilies/poof.gif

Comment

Let's check the AC adapter. I think I mentioned this early in the thread, but I'll say it again. Plug it in and measure between ground on outside of the barrel and positive on the inside of barrel. It's okay to touch the center pin as long as you are also touching the inner surface of the barrel (otherwise you will probably get a reading that is about a volt too low).

As long as the voltage is within reason (~19.5 volts) and stable, continue...

Next, let's check some of the voltages with the power supply plugged in.

Measure the voltage at the following components. You only need to measure one pin from each:

PR103 (main +VIN power rail)
                                          PL12 (3V switching regulator output)
                                          PL15 (5V switching regulator output)

Let's also check the 3V (+3V_ALW) and 5V (+5V_ALW) linear power rails, as well as the AC adapter identification signal (LIMIT_SIGNAL). See attached pics. Note that the arrow is pointing to one specific side of the indicated component.
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X