This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommend me a MultiMeter

Hey guys im very new to the whole DIY and replacing bad Caps etc but ive managed so far to repair 2 out of 4 monitors without any problems.
    Although the 3rd one i was repairing had some bad transistors and a pico fuse. I just wanted to know what MultiMeter you guys would recommend for a newbie like me to get in order to be able to see whats good and whats bad (Capacitors, Transistors etc) rather than having to replace everything and hope for the best :P thanks in advance guys

Re: Recommend me a MultiMeter

Hi Demix

Welcome to the Forum!

Most modern digital multimeters are good enough for resistance, current and voltage checks.

There are a few things to keep in mind while shopping:

Most multimeters that have capacitance ranges do not go above 200μf. Most of the capacitors that give us trouble are rated much higher than that. I use a BK Precision 815 component tester that ranges to 20,000μ for testing capacitors.

On the subject of Capacitors, multimeters do not generally check ESR (Equivalent Series Resistance). ESR is probably the most important value to check when dealing with electrolytic capacitors. A separate ESR meter is required to check this.

If you intend to be doing much in the way of current measurements (Amps, MilliAmps) find out how much the little fuses inside the meter cost.
    Fluke, which is a very reputable brand uses insanely expensive fuses. Most other meters use much cheaper generic fuses.

Display update rate. How quickly the meter updates the display is useful for observing rapid fluctuations. Also useful is a bar-graph along the top or bottom of the display. Faster is better. Nowdays, most stuff is decently fast.

Most digital multimeters are autoranging or use a button-selected range feature They usually integrate the On/Off switch into the main selector as well. Personally, I can't stand this and much prefer manually-selected ranges and a separate on/off switch. The BK Precision 815 has both manual ranges and an on/off switch as do my other meters. This is of course, a personal preference.

Have Fun,
    Keri
    The More You Learn The Less You Know!

Comment

Originally posted by Demix
      Hey guys im very new to the whole DIY and replacing bad Caps etc but ive managed so far to repair 2 out of 4 monitors without any problems.
      Although the 3rd one i was repairing had some bad transistors and a pico fuse. I just wanted to know what MultiMeter you guys would recommend for a newbie like me to get in order to be able to see whats good and whats bad (Capacitors, Transistors etc) rather than having to replace everything and hope for the best :P thanks in advance guys
      There are a couple of factors that should be considered. The first is 'How are you going to use it?' If you are going to use it 40 hours (or more) a week in your main job, spend the money to buy a good rugged piece of equipment. Fluke has been mentioned prominently.

On the other hand, if you are using it as a hobbyist for a few hours a week, and perhaps making a few dollars repairing dead monitors, you can get by with a much less expensive DMM.

As an inexpensive hobbyist level meter I'm content with the Cen-Tech 37772-2VGA from Harbor Freight Tools. It's no Fluke, or even B & K, but at $25 ($20 on one of their frequent sales), it's a bargain. In particular, the temperature probe can come in very handy.

The capacitance feature on this is rudimentary. In particular, it has no capability of measuring ESR.

PlainBill
      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Analog multimeters do have some advantages over digital and are better suited to some measurements, believe it or not.
        It is a good shrubbery. I like the laurels particularly...

Comment

If you are on a tight budget, as most of us are these days, I use and can recommend a digital multimeter from www.mpja.com, part number 14213TE cost is $14.95. That and the blue esr meter are the two main pieces of test equipment I use.

I also use and recommend their soldering station part number 15860TL cost $14.95. MUCH better than the old Radio Shack soldering iron I had before.

And finally, don't use acid core solder. Cheap electronic solder is usually a large diameter that globs. I use and recommend the one pound spool part number 4457TL cost $12.95.

Welcome to the forum. May you have many enjoyable hours exploring this exciting world of "fix it yourself" electronics.
          Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Parker
            Analog multimeters do have some advantages over digital and are better suited to some measurements, believe it or not.
            All types have advantages and disadvantages. An analog meter makes a pulsing voltage obvious. Differences in level are obvious at a glance.

On the other hand, I've never had a bent needle on a DMM. I've never seen an analog meter that can be read to .1% accuracy (we had a test engineer who insisted the 5 V power supply must be set +- 50 mv). And it is far easier to read a digital display than it is to interpret an analog meter with multiple ranges.

Still, when the focus block on a Zenith TV was cracked and I found out about it when it arced to the test lead; I was very happy I was using my $10 P.O.S. VOM, not the $100 DMM.

PlainBill
            For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Thanks a lot for all of your help. From this I will compile a list of the best equipment to get from my money and then let the fun begin =]

Comment

Okay I have myself a new Soldering Station, some solder and a DMM =P all I need to find is a ESR Meter now and I really dont know which one i should get, can anyone recomend me on on http://www.mpja.com/ if possible? thanks a lot guys!

Comment

Sorry for the triple post guys, it seems that mpja really dont like to send to the UK unless its over $100, soo im going to ask if anyone could recomend any of the multi-meters/ esr meters from this website instead =P http://www.maplin.co.uk - Once again thank you guys and sorry to be a pain

Comment

Hi Demix

Well, it seem that particular websie only has an ESR/Capacitance meter called the Atlas.
                    http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=43095

Personally, I use the Ana Tek Blue ESR meter and a BK Precision 815 component tester to check capacitance.

The Atlas is more expensive than either but not both... if all you want to check is capacitance and ESR maybe the Atlas would be OK.

Have Fun
                    Keri
                    The More You Learn The Less You Know!

Comment

Thanks a lot ^_^ sorry to keep being a bother im just really new to all of this =P thanks again hehe.

Comment

If you've never used a multimeter then I'd recommend getting pretty much the cheapest that you can, either say this one or this one. It'll do 95% of what you want, and after a few months you should be pretty aware of what its limitations are, what extra features you want when you upgrade to a better model, and what is just unwanted eye candy. At that price chances are that it will cost you more in petrol and parking to get to the shop. And even when you do upgrade there are always occasions when you'd rather have something more expendable to hand.

Comment

I own a Mastech variable 5 amp power supply with digital readouts.

I had to junk the bad caps inside (pyramid logo still don't know who makes them and 2 fake Chemicons) but for the 120 bucks shipped I paid for it. It was worth it. Nice torroid transformer in it too.

I'd go with that brand rather than the no name.

If you save up around 50-70 bucks you can get a Fluke off e-bay if you're so inclined in the future.

Don't forget a decent soldering station too. No point in using a DMM if you can't remove the components safely.
                          Last edited by Krankshaft; 08-20-2009, 12:40 PM.
                          Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

http://www.alfaelectronics.com

Model DMM-20.....it is DMM + LCR for 75$....Highly recomended

Comment

Originally posted by dot11
                              http://www.alfaelectronics.com

Model DMM-20.....it is DMM + LCR for 75$....Highly recomended
                              Mmm... interesting and a lot cheaper than Fluke.

What does the spec mean under Capacitance?

2.000nF, 20nF, 200nF, 2uF, 100uF (5.0%+10digits), >100uF(8.0%+10digits)

For over 100uF, 8% accuracy and 10digits? 10 digits? This meter only show 4 digits.

Comment

Originally posted by lucky13
                                Mmm... interesting and a lot cheaper than Fluke.

What does the spec mean under Capacitance?

2.000nF, 20nF, 200nF, 2uF, 100uF (5.0%+10digits), >100uF(8.0%+10digits)

For over 100uF, 8% accuracy and 10digits? 10 digits? This meter only show 4 digits.
                                That probably means 10 counts - a reading of 680.2 uF has a possible error of 54.4 uF (8%) plus 1 uF (10 counts).

Also, 'cheaper' is a relative term. If you use it dozens of times a day as part of your job, if it fails it could easily cost you a day's work before it is replaced. That could be expensive If it is used every week or two as part of your hobby, it is unlikely a failure would actually cost much at all.

PlainBill
                                Last edited by PlainBill; 08-29-2009, 10:25 AM.

Comment

I have had this meter for almost 2 years. It has been very durable and accurate. It will only take 2 amps of current. I work mostly on tube guitar amps, so the 2 amp limit is 20 times higher than I will ever need for most of my stuff.
                                  Good Luck
                                  http://www.amprobe.com/cgi-bin/pdc/v...id=1&type=elec
                                  Last edited by fuse; 10-23-2009, 01:19 PM.
                                  26+6=1

Comment

Weller WTCPT soldering station. You can get all kinds of tips and the tips set the temp. Fluke 16 multimeter.

Comment

Originally posted by trhisdone
                                      Weller WTCPT soldering station. You can get all kinds of tips and the tips set the temp. Fluke 16 multimeter.
                                      ?

wrong thread. we're talkning multimeters not soldering tools.
                                      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

True but if your asking about multimeter's most likely you don't know that much about soldering irons either. Just my 2 cents and I did say Fluke 16 mulitimeter....

Comment

Working...
                                        X