Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer Swift 3 SF314-51 not powering up - leds flashing

Hello everyone,

Hope someone can put me in the right direction. I bought this laptop off Ebay saying it was not powering up.

Battery was totally dead, so I changed it for a new one. When I plug the 19V adapter, the blue led comes on solid (doesn't seem to charge the battery) and when I press power on, nothing at all. If I try to power up with just the battery, the amber (orange light) flashes 5 times and stops, nothing else.

Pictures of motherboard attached, i get 19V on the power connector and 15.2V (which is the rating of the battery) on the battery connector along with 3.3V.

Please help! Thank you!!
    Attached Files

Re: Acer Swift 3 not powering up - leds flashing

Originally posted by rddube View Post
    Hello everyone,

Hope someone can put me in the right direction. I bought this laptop off Ebay saying it was not powering up.

Battery was totally dead, so I changed it for a new one. When I plug the 19V adapter, the blue led comes on solid (doesn't seem to charge the battery) and when I press power on, nothing at all. If I try to power up with just the battery, the amber (orange light) flashes 5 times and stops, nothing else.

Pictures of motherboard attached, i get 19V on the power connector and 15.2V (which is the rating of the battery) on the battery connector along with 3.3V.

Please help! Thank you!!
    Theres a small battery reset button in the top left on your board. Plug the battery in, unplug AC and hold the button for 5 Seconds. This could do the trick.
    The button is located to the left of the white ffc cable with a blue flap which has "MB" printed on it.

Comment

Hello KvnTM,

Thank you for chipping in!

Ok, so I tried what you suggested, and had forgotten to plug the cr2016 battery, and nothing happened. Redid it with the cr2016 plugged in, and I get 5 flashes of the orange led.

I wonder what those 5 flashes mean, they are constant every time I press the power button when just on battery. I searched the web for orange or amber error codes for the Acer Swift 3 to no avail.

Comment

Hello KvnTM,

Thank you for chipping in!

Ok, so I tried what you suggested, and had forgotten to plug the cr2016 battery, and nothing happened. Redid it with the cr2016 plugged in, and I get 5 flashes of the orange led.

I wonder what those 5 flashes mean, they are constant every time I press the power button when just on battery. I searched the web for orange or amber error codes for the Acer Swift 3 to no avail.
        Hmm that could've been too good to be true..
        People suggested that 5 flashes mean a battery problem. It was a different acer though. Was worth a try.

What happens on AC only?

Comment

The battery is new, and they say in the instructions to discharge it to 2% before recharging it, so I presume it has good power. I have 15.2 volts at the battery terminals and it is a 15.2V battery.

On AC, as soon as I plug in the adpater, the blue led comes on and that's it. If I press power on, nothing happens, the led stays solid blue.

If you want me to take voltage readings on any part of the motherboard, I am very willing to do so, just don't know where to look. I can also post close up pictures if you need me to. I looked for a schematic but all I found was a service manual that doesn't say much...but I can also upload that.

Thanks for your input!
          Last edited by rddube; 11-30-2019, 01:01 PM.

Comment

The battery is new, and they say in the instructions to discharge it to 2% before recharging it, so I presume it has good power. I have 15.2 volts at the battery terminals and it is a 15.2V battery.

On AC, as soon as I plug in the adpater, the blue led comes on and that's it. If I press power on, nothing happens, the led stays solid blue.

If you want me to take voltage readings on any part of the motherboard, I am very willing to do so, just don't know where to look. I can also post close up pictures if you need me to. I looked for a schematic but all I found was a service manual that doesn't say much...but I can also upload that.

Thanks for your input!
            Hm there's probably something wrong with the board. Does anything heat up noticeably? What's the history of the laptop?

Measure voltage on every inductor on the board (those square grey blocks with two contacts) and put the readings into a picture of the board.

I try to get a schematic for it.
            Is it an SF314-51 ?
            Last edited by KvnTM; 11-30-2019, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Hello everyone,

Please help! Thank you!!
              Some one all ready have try to repair it one of the coils solder joints, try the power button it should get 3.3V does it goes high low #? What is your SIO ITEXXXX?
              Last edited by Techtiger; 11-30-2019, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KvnTM View Post
                Hm there's probably something wrong with the board. Does anything heat up noticeably? What's the history of the laptop?

Measure voltage on every inductor on the board (those square grey blocks with two contacts) and put the readings into a picture of the board.

I try to get a schematic for it.
                Is it an SF314-51 ?
                Ok, will do that and report back. Yes it is a SF314-51. Tks!!

Comment

Originally posted by techtiger View Post
                  Some one all ready have try to repair it one of the coils solder joints, try the power button it should get 3.3V does it goes high low #? What is your SIO ITEXXXX?
                  Hey Techtiger, thanks for budding in!

How do I check the power button as it is part of the keyboard? Also, not sure what SIO ITEXXXX means, can you help me find it?

Comment

Hey Techtiger, thanks for budding in!

How do I check the power button as it is part of the keyboard? Also, not sure what SIO ITEXXXX means, can you help me find it?
                    He means the big chip with ITE marking on it. It is on the right next to the ram chips. Can you make a good photo of it? Soldering looks weird on it.

Comment

For the power button behind the keyboard you have another connector it’s 4-5 pins check all pins that is connected to the motherboard Side
                      Attached Files

Comment

Ok, here is a photo of the ITE, hope it's clear enough. It's written IT8987E.

As for the power button, I am also attaching a photo of the power button top side and under side....can't seem to see any connections to measure.

I will get to the other voltages you mentioned and report back.

Thank you gentlemen!
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by rddube; 11-30-2019, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Ok, got a copy of the schematics, but HO not sure I can read that! Thank God I have big brothers helping me.

Hope this helps and tks again.

MOD Edit: Schematic moved to new thread -> https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=121098
                          Last edited by SMDFlea; 07-11-2023, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Ok, so here are the voltage measurements of the square grey IC's. Both battery and AC adapter connected, not like in the photo where you see the battery disconnected.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Ok, so here are the voltage measurements of the square grey IC's. Both battery and AC adapter connected, not like in the photo where you see the battery disconnected.
                              Well done!
                              Only CPU & GPU Vcore are missing which makes sense since it doesn't turn on.
                              That's a tough one..

Why is there a diode missing and did you solder to that small inductor?
                              Attached Files

Comment

You have incredible eagle eyes KvnTM, no I didn't do any soldering at all on the board but I did notice that just under where you point there is a diode missing, there is a blob of solder on the resistor end (I think it's a resistor, the black one). The guy on Ebay said he had tried to get it repaired by a professional (hahem) before selling it..that would explain a lot of things!

Do you want me to make a closeup picture of that section? Should I resolder the diode back, I'm pretty handy with soldering and I have a number of scrap parts (motherboards, power supplies) where I might be able to find an equivalent. What do you think? And thank you for being so sharp!

On the other question about the keyboard power switch, I can't seem to find a switch...it is as though the power switch is part of the keyboard. I think the switch works because when only on battery the amber light flashes 5 times when I press power.

Comment

You have incredible eagle eyes KvnTM, no I didn't do any soldering at all on the board but I did notice that just under where you point there is a diode missing, there is a blob of solder on the resistor end (I think it's a resistor, the black one). The guy on Ebay said he had tried to get it repaired by a professional (hahem) before selling it..that would explain a lot of things!

Do you want me to make a closeup picture of that section? Should I resolder the diode back, I'm pretty handy with soldering and I have a number of scrap parts (motherboards, power supplies) where I might be able to find an equivalent. What do you think? And thank you for being so sharp!

On the other question about the keyboard power switch, I can't seem to find a switch...it is as though the power switch is part of the keyboard. I think the switch works because when only on battery the amber light flashes 5 times when I press power.
                                  I always look around the board to find anything that looks odd to me. This caught my eye immediately. Oh yeah "professional" .. haha .. No professional would knock off components and leave such a mess. Let's hope he didn't f*ck it up too bad.

Yeah do a close up of that area. The data sheet says 1.2V/0.1A so I guess it is a 1.2V Zener Diode even though the symbol is for a normal rectifier diode. A normal diode wouldn't make sense in this configuration anyways. If it was for reverse polarity protection it would've been designed to short circuit. No professional circuit designer would do that. So a zener it is! Most likely..

Those two grey components are inductors! L6001 & L6006. Can be seen on the schematic snippet I posted before.

If you have a pile of components look for a 1.2V Zener. Post model numbers if you got any donor boards from other laptops. Pretty sure you'll find one that matches.

And yes, the power button is embedded into the keyboard. I had the exact same laptop for ssd replacement a few weeks ago so I can remember how it looked like.

Comment

Diode is no stuff.
                                    Soldering on the inductor might be because the guy tried to randomly inject voltage there. We can see that there is some solder on the screwhole on the left, where the ground wire was soldered.

At that point most main power rails are present but not CPU VCore, probably a good idea to check the enable signal for CPU VCore regulator.
                                    OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Originally posted by piernov View Post
                                      Diode is no stuff.
                                      Soldering on the inductor might be because the guy tried to randomly inject voltage there. We can see that there is some solder on the screwhole on the left, where the ground wire was soldered.

At that point most main power rails are present but not CPU VCore, probably a good idea to check the enable signal for CPU VCore regulator.
                                      Yes, I just noticed. It looked like someone ripped it off the board though.
                                      I attached a picture of the area from a used board.
                                      Could have been too god to be true.

Thing is, the board doesn't react to power button when AC is present and it won't charge.

I still think someone messed with the ITE chip. The soldering on the side facing the ffc connector doesn't look oem.
                                      Attached Files
                                      Last edited by KvnTM; 12-01-2019, 06:48 AM.

Comment

Hello,

Here is a closeup of the area, and another picture of a monitor main board where I found C2 marked zener diodes that are SOD323 package, and the datasheet for the C2 SOD323 package.

I scanned all my other parts but these are the closest to zener diodes I could find.

Also I checked continuity on those inductors 19V on one side and 19V on the other side also, so I guess they are ok.

Cheers!
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                        X