Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Issue with Westinghouse 19" LCD Monitor (large pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Issue with Westinghouse 19" LCD Monitor (large pics)

Originally posted by billy66 View Post
    I have this same monitor: Westinghouse L2046NV. Same issue... but once I replaced all the caps and the mosfets, it still didn't work. The backlights would flicker for a second, and then go out... over and over. I finally found R210 (on the backside of the board) was bad. Ohm'd out it read 900K ohms... and it should be 10 ohms. Reads: 10R0. I replaced it and it fixed the issue. Just wanted to throw my two cents in to help others if they have the same issue. This one was killing me for a while.

Thanks to all those on this, very long, thread that have helped... the info was a great help to me.
    Thanks - good to know.
    Eduardo
    There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
    • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
    • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
    • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
    • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
    • Windows 10 Pro x64
    • GeForce GT1050
      2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

I've got kind of an interesting resolution on the search for the value of the zener diode ZD100 on ny power board. I never did find the schematic. However, there was an eBay seller in China selling the power board, stating that they were for the Westinghouse and some Viewsonic monitors. I emailed him asking which Viewsonic monitors. He said he didn't know. I then told him I had a broken diode and was hoping to locate the schematic via a model number. He actually checked with the factory there making them and told me it was a 20V zener. Pretty nice guy!

Comment

Thanks billy66, I also replaced caps and mosfets and got the same problem with R210, replacing this resolved the problem. Also thanks to everyone else.

Comment

I have a problem with this TV on the other (main) board p/n A190A5-A05-P-S6. By the ribbon cable that goes to the display there is a transistor Q21 that has burned up. Could someone tell what the number on that transistor is, it would by nice if I could replace that transistor.
          Thanks

Comment

Sorry wrong Westinghouse the board is for a 19" TV.

Comment

Sorry to revive this thread, but I have the exact same problem. First off, I really had no interest in repairing electronics and the like but I have no choice since I don't have the $$$ to buy a new monitor

Before finding this site, I came across information that all I needed to do was replace the bad caps, which I did... and boy was it a pain the a$$! It was my first time de-soldering and soldering that I probably did a poor job soldering (except for one cap lol)

Tested my monitor, and voila, a faint dark image... at least I got an image! Then I realized I forgot to plug those 4 backlight cables back in, so I had to re-open the darn thing, but hoping that it will work this time. Of course, it didn't.. so google once more!

And that is how I found this thread. So, please forgive me for asking these dumb questions...

1. How can you tell if the fuse is "open," without using any gadgets/gizmos lol
              2. This Q is more for eGuevara > Do you have any pics that show how you bridged the fuse by soldering?

Well that's it for now... If nothing works, I might just get a replacement board on eBay...
              Last edited by bostoncommon; 03-15-2011, 01:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bostoncommon View Post
                Sorry to revive this thread, but I have the exact same problem. First off, I really had no interest in repairing electronics and the like but I have no choice since I don't have the $$$ to buy a new monitor

Before finding this site, I came across information that all I needed to do was replace the bad caps, which I did... and boy was it a pain the a$$! It was my first time de-soldering and soldering that I probably did a poor job soldering (except for one cap lol)

Tested my monitor, and voila, a faint dark image... at least I got an image! Then I realized I forgot to plug those 4 backlight cables back in, so I had to re-open the darn thing, but hoping that it will work this time. Of course, it didn't.. so google once more!

And that is how I found this thread. So, please forgive me for asking these dumb questions...

2. This Q is more for eGuevara > Do you have any pics that show how you bridged the fuse by soldering?

Well that's it for now... If nothing works, I might just get a replacement board on eBay...
                You're going to have to have some interest to repair your monitor.
                You are also going to need some type of a volt/ohm meter.
                You will also need to post some photos of what you're working on. Please use the managed attachments option, and very detailed so we can read the markings on the board.
                What type of capacitors did you use, what make and series?
                Please Do not try to bypass any fuses they are there for a reason.
                Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

You require a multimeter to tell if a fuse is open or not. A good fuse will read less than 1.0 ohms. All ohms or resistance measurements are done with power off and lcd unplugged.

If you have no money to buy a multimeter, borrow one from a friend or family member.
                  --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by alexanna View Post
                    Please Do not try to bypass any fuses they are there for a reason.
                    I agree.I bypassed it to see if it was going to work or not.It is not advisable to do it (even to test).
                    Answering your question, you just have to cover the fuse in solder.But you need to post pics so we can show you where to look.
                    There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
                    • Windows 10 Pro x64
                    • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Thanks everyone. Attached are the pics I originally took before replacing the bad caps. Sorry for the poor quality but its from my friends phone

The new caps I replaced are from radio shack, its a XICON brand 220 uF, 35V, got all 3 replaced. I just ordered the mofset off eBay, and Im tryin to take the old ones as we speak.. (any tips takin em off, its taking me so long... im using a 30watt iron, desoldering braid)

Fuse is F102 which Ive located on my board and I did try to bridge it just to test it out, but that didnt work lol. I will buy the fuse off mouser, the 4 amp one

Thats about it for now, but IM not really optimistic.. but we'll keep you guys updated
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks everyone. Attached are the pics I originally took before replacing the bad caps. Sorry for the poor quality but its from my friends phone

The new caps I replaced are from radio shack, its a XICON brand 220 uF, 35V, got all 3 replaced. I just ordered the mofset off eBay, and Im tryin to take the old ones as we speak.. (any tips takin em off, its taking me so long... im using a 30watt iron, desoldering braid)

Fuse is F102 which Ive located on my board and I did try to bridge it just to test it out, but that didnt work lol. I will buy the fuse off mouser, the 4 amp one

Thats about it for now, but IM not really optimistic.. but we'll keep you guys updated
                        1.- Caps are not the recommended replacements.
                        2.- Without changing the MOSFETS you will never get an image,even if the fuse is bridged (the fuse blew because the MOSFETs shorted...)
                        3.- MOSFET Removal tip? Patience, my friend....
                        • Windows 10 Pro x64
                        • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Thanks eGuevarae! Yah, I dont know anything about mosfets, fuses and how they work lol but I do get an image but its just very faint /dark. I replaced the caps that were bulging, but I still have those big Capxon caps, but they werent bulging

And yes I need patience lol but I finally removed one fet... I kinna pulled it out at the end tho, but I think it's okay.. I hope.. On to the next one xD

Comment

Thanks eGuevarae! Yah, I dont know anything about mosfets, fuses and how they work lol but I do get an image but its just very faint /dark. I replaced the caps that were bulging, but I still have those big Capxon caps, but they werent bulging

And yes I need patience lol but I finally removed one fet... I kinna pulled it out at the end tho, but I think it's okay.. I hope.. On to the next one xD
                            You need to replace them all (caps) even if they are not bulged.
                            And as for knowing nothing, I was a bank teller when I joined the forums (unemployed now...) and did not know nothing,except to follow instructions/suggestions and do a lot of reading ...
                            • Windows 10 Pro x64
                            • GeForce GT1050

Comment

This is one of the common screw-ups. Xicon does not make a low ESR cap suitable for use in the switching mode power supply (SMPS) used in monitors. You can buy the right caps for less money from Digikey or Mouser. If you are going to keep the monitor, expect to be replacing the caps within a year. If you sell it, expect to have a very unhappy customer in the same time frame.

PlainBill
                              For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Although I did research which brands are the "good caps," my impatience got in the way and I just wanted to buy any replacement caps from the nearest retail store ^^; I initially thought that the bad caps were the only problem. I badly wanted it to work and wasnt really thinking long term. If anything, this will be more of an experimental project lol

Right now tho I'm using a measly 15in CRT monitor...

GOt both FETs removed now (yayy!) So I guess all I have to do now is wait for my mosfet to arrive.. I havent ordered the fuse yet, just wanted to see if everyting will work with the temp bridged fuse first. And if it does work, I'll repalce the all the caps with better ones and get that fuse

Comment

Although I did research which brands are the "good caps," my impatience got in the way and I just wanted to buy any replacement caps from the nearest retail store ^^; I initially thought that the bad caps were the only problem. I badly wanted it to work and wasnt really thinking long term. If anything, this will be more of an experimental project lol

Right now tho I'm using a measly 15in CRT monitor...

GOt both FETs removed now (yayy!) So I guess all I have to do now is wait for my mosfet to arrive.. I havent ordered the fuse yet, just wanted to see if everyting will work with the temp bridged fuse first. And if it does work, I'll repalce the all the caps with better ones and get that fuse
                                  • Windows 10 Pro x64
                                  • GeForce GT1050

Comment

I got them I'm have a hard time soldering.. urghhh... Question, if the soldering wasn't as volcano-perfect, would it still cause to fail ?

Comment

I'm so tempted to just get the board now and thrash this one lol... Im not cut out to soldering tiny pieces onto the board, its a frustrating task to do ><

Comment

Just tried it out despite my poor soldering job, and there's now a flicker whenever I turn the power on/off. Still getting very faint/dark images tho. At this point, I'm not sure if I can do any more resoldering/soldering... Ive been at it for 6 hours ><, ah we'll see.. maybe I'll feel different tomorrow and try to do a better job.

ps. I officially hate the soldering part now lol

Comment

My screen is a westinghouse 19" TV here are the problems with it it does work some what no sound screen takes 30min to power on click PC white screens and freezes click HDMI white screen and freezes now when i try to boot it back on blue LED flashes and wont power on til i pull the plug and plug it back in and wait another 30 min i pulled it apart thinking it was a loose wire inside it every thing is clean but 1 cap on the psu was bubbles but if you look at all the pix most of them are like that so i put it all back together i been reading forums and contacting people for the past few days now talking about the problems i own a westinghouse 32" tv nothing wrong with it its an old TV now never had a problem this lil 19" is a pain any ideas on what i should do with this screen

Comment

Working...
                                          X