Syncmaster SA350 is DOA even after attempting FW upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Syncmaster SA350 is DOA even after attempting FW upgrade

I received a Syncmaster SA350 (LED type) that is two months out of warranty for a symptom of no display, as in black screen with no signal icons dancing, and a blinking red power light. According to many posts over the last 18 months a common solution is to flash the display with new firmware. I connected this to a laptop and desktop and performed a dual display check to see if a known working display signal could be sent to this and "wake it up" as some web results claimed this monitor and it's siblings are known to go into sleep mode and not come out. This monitor was unresponsive to both output signal sources. I looked further and found that a common issue is with a 8-legged Winbond controller IC (25X40BVSIG located at about 2 o'clock of the Magic Color chip) on the logic board that needs to either be flashed with a firmware available on Samsung's site or replace the IC. Numerous posters claimed to reflash using the external VGA of a laptop and the monitor came to life again. I understand that if the firmware flash fails the monitor is locked up and the above mentioned IC has to be replaced. This reminds me of the old AMI BIOS, Phoenix BIOS, Award BIOS days when your BIOS crapped because of a failed update by way of poor flash installers and buggy code. I downloaded the firmware and it's installer and made the attempt to flash with a know working desktop that has dual display capability. While attempting the firmware update the software recognizes the SA350 and attempts to flash but the procedure never makes it beyond 10% as indicated by the progress meter. There are a few YouTube videos on this procedure and it seems straight forward though none of them ever showed an unsuccessful procedure. As with most firmware upgrades the warning of power loss or turning off the hardware during the procedure is eminent as it will leave the device dead. At that point the mentioned IC must be replaced. I really would like to know if any here have heard of this model's issue or similar. Also have any of you done the firmware update or know of the IC I mentioned? I have accounts at Digikey, Mouser, and Allied so I don't mind grabbing a replacement and flashing it if this is really plausible.
    Attached Files

<Solution> Syncmaster SA350 is DOA even after attempting FW upgrade

Solution:
    I solved this myself by doing enough Googling and locating an obscure YouTube video about this common problem. The video led back to the supply source mentioned below.

To "un-brick" a SA350 or one of it's sister models you can carefully separate the plastic clamshell housing/bezel that encases the LCD panel and circuit board inside taking great care to use a plastic tool to "pop" the interlocks. Once you are able to gain access to the circuit board the very small 8-legged SOIC flash chip (IC401 location on the PCB) must be replaced with another pre-programmed one from http://daitech.ca ---> Store ---> Samsung & look up based on model# with or without HDMI. You may not see your exact model# listed based on the size of your screen but the model series will be the same. I have successfully repaired my model using the MX chip from the website mentioned instead of the unavailable Winbond version in my original post. The chip arrives in 7 days from order and the repair takes about 15 minutes including dis-assembly/re-assembly. There are supposedly some programmed Winbond chips available from China through eBay but I prefer not to take the chance on that versus the above mentioned source.

Comment

Re: Syncmaster SA350 is DOA even after attempting FW upgrade

Hey sir, thank you for posting this. I too have researched countless hours to no avail. I found maybe 80% of what you have found. I emailed daitech since they no longer sell that IC. It may be a lost cause since I'd also have to buy a hot air station and learn how to replace ICs.

But anyways, thanks for the descriptive, helpful post.

Comment

ihave aproblem with samsung syncmaster sa350

Comment

[QUOTE=moateez;458027]
          ihave aproblem with samsung syncmaster sa350

this is a picteur for the mother board who show the problem

https://www.sendspace.com/file/6o8wmx

Comment

Ok You need to post your pictures on this site using add attachments
            Ok Vous avez besoin de publier vos photos sur ce site en utilisant "add attachments"

There are no good pictures of these boards to look at.
            Il n'y a pas de bonnes photos de ces cartes à regarder.

Can you clean up the damage and take a close up picture.
            Pouvez-vous nettoyer les dégâts et prendre une photo en gros plan.

Perhaps there is something we can discover
            Peut-être il ya quelque chose que nous pouvons découvrir
            Attached Files
            Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

I have the same problem exacly , upgrade stop on 10%
              s22a350h made :october 2011
              s/n : 0048H9MBA03910V

When you replaced this IC normal re-upgrading is possible????????

Comment

Originally posted by kpaxian View Post
                I have the same problem exacly , upgrade stop on 10%
                s22a350h made :october 2011
                s/n : 0048H9MBA03910V

When you replaced this IC normal re-upgrading is possible????????
                Hi kpaxian... I have the same issue... 10% upgrading and stuck....now the monitor is dead, I've disoldered ic401 but i can't find this component here where i'am... so i'm still searching...

Comment

People need to work on their search skills.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251607385770
                  --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

It would be useful if while your machines are in pieces you could post some really clear
                    pictures of the front and back of each board. Please use manage attachments jpgs less than 3mb upload well.
                    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Is it possible to use the same chip and re programm this chip??

Comment

hy , can some one give me the flash for samsung S23A350H

Comment

hy , can some one give me the flash for samsung S23A350H

Comment

maybe worth trying
                            http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Re-program...-/262319197672

Comment

Working...
                            X