Acer 1716B no picture, Blinking power light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Acer 1716B no picture, Blinking power light

Hello! Your power supply looks very similar to the one used for a dell E177FPc. If that's the case, then the W2156 is a FMW-2156 made by Sanken. Spec sheet below.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
      I can't find a spec sheet for W2156, so let's assume they are good. If your monitor doesn't work after changing out those shorted transistors, we can relook at these dual diodes.
      Sounds good. I will get the shorted Transistors and replace the caps. Question on the Caps though. Im replacing them with Panazonic FM ones but I can't find replacement ones for the lower UF Caps The FM series(from Digi=Key doesn't have any) what other series is Low ESR that might. I didn't have any luck finding lower ESR(not labled for the other series) Maybe the EB series?

Comment

Originally posted by nico95 View Post
        Sounds good. I will get the shorted Transistors and replace the caps. Question on the Caps though. Im replacing them with Panazonic FM ones but I can't find replacement ones for the lower UF Caps The FM series(from Digi=Key doesn't have any) what other series is Low ESR that might. I didn't have any luck finding lower ESR(not labled for the other series) Maybe the EB series?
        Try the panasonic FC series (also at digikey). They will work and should cover the lower uf values you're looking for.
        Last edited by jetadm123; 08-17-2010, 07:29 AM.

Comment

You can also use KY, KZE, LXY, and, LXZ from United Chemicon. PW and HE from Nichicon are yet another option.

Comment

Thanks for he Advise on other Caps Brands/Series I can get for replacement. THat was very helpful. I finally got my list of Caps to order but I noticed on the board where the 2 bad Transistors are another Transitor Q203
            right next to the Coil. The board looked a littl brown under that too, I thought I would test in circuit. Looks ok(from what I have learned) about 800 or so ohms testing 1-2, 1-3 and 2-3. but I noticed the headsink was not solderwell and was loose once I unscrewed the cover that was screwed into it. the solder wasn't stuck to the trace I figured I better remove and test. It doesn't test to well. When I test I get the following 1-3 only 1 I don't have ol on mine so not sure if that means its open or infinity
            2-3 800ohms and 1-2 the same as 1-3. Nothing or just 1. Basiclly it doesn't change just says 1. on the board its set up as G D S which is 1 2 3
            The numbers on it say U401 and below that is BE6H1S
            I guessing its bad , but if it is. Im not sure what the replacement part would be. I didn't find any info and I'm still learning on finding substitute parts.

I can send a pic tommorow if need be I will attach a pic whee this is located
            Thanks
            Nick
            Attached Files

Comment

When I test I get the following 1-3 only 1 I don't have ol on mine so not sure if that means its open or infinity
              What brand/make and model is your multimeter?

1 on manual ranging meters usually means inifinty. The 1 should be on the left hand side of the display.

Transistors are usually bad if they are shorted (ohms < 20). If you are getting infinity, 800 ohms, and 800 ohms, that is a good transistor.
              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

It's a Craftsman. Your right the 1 is on the left side. It will be there before you test anything also. So beasiclly it didn't change when I tested.

Comment

It's a Craftsman. Your right the 1 is on the left side. It will be there before you test anything also. So beasiclly it didn't change when I tested.
                  Craftsman makes a lot of meters. Which model?

If you touch your two probes together, what ohms reading do you get?
                  --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Sorry, its Model 82141
                    If I touch the probes. THe numbers do change. from a 1 on the left to a .2 on the 200Ohms scale

Comment

Sorry, its Model 82141
                      If I touch the probes. THe numbers do change. from a 1 on the left to a .2 on the 200Ohms scale
                      Touching the probes is a quick test to tell you the ohms test is working. 0.2 ohms is what I expect.

1 indicates inifinity or over range. My meter displays 0L.
                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

So the Transistor may be ok then? I don't actually see it change, or flash real quick like I noticed before on a lower scale(20 OHMS) it would change real quick then go to 1.
                        Just making suring I explaing it right

Comment

So the Transistor may be ok then? I don't actually see it change, or flash real quick like I noticed before on a lower scale(20 OHMS) it would change real quick then go to 1.
                          Just making suring I explaing it right
                          The FET is good (GDS). I understand what you are saying.

If you set your multimeter to 2000K ohm on the dial and retest you might actually get a reading that is not 1. If it stills show 1, that means the resistance is greater than 2M.

This is why I prefer autoranging meters.
                          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Sounds good, one less thing to buy
                            I guess I might have to look in to a autorangin one in the future. That sound srather handy. I do have a analog meter, but haven't gotten to use it.

Comment

I just went to order the parts and Digikey and aparentlly all the other places have no stock of KSD1691. The only thing they did have was a a replacement part that was rated the same accept the Amps. it was 4 Amps rated instead of 5. I'm thinking I better not get it. Since the originals shorted but would this work?
                              Thanks,

Comment

it was 4 Amps rated instead of 5.
                                Well I'm not a circuit board designer, but if the fuse (I can't see it in your picture) is rated for 3A, I think you can go with the lower 4A replacement part.

There may be more than one fuse on the power/inverter board including a picofuse (starts with PF).
                                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

t was 4 Amps rated instead of 5. I'm thinking I better not get it. Since the originals shorted but would this work?
                                  Hmm, I repaired a Acer 1716 about 2 months ago, but it is not a 1716B. The 1716 that I fixed had a 2A/250V main fuse.

On some Benq boards the c5707s are famous for being shorted because of the poorly soldered transformers. You may want to resolder your transformer pins to prevent future KSD1691s from shorting.
                                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Hi,
                                    I finally was able to get some KSD1691s and replacement caps. Resoldered all the caps last night but ran into another problem, I needed a little assistance on. A few traces partialy came off. I had 2 caps do that yesteday and noticed one of the dual Diode traces and one of the Transitor Traces had this probelm. It looks like they each are have about 1/3 to a little less than 1/2 of the traces gone. Of the 4 I looks like they attached part of the trace is still part of the circuit. Should I just leave them, or connected a wire or solder the connection further back(for the caps if possible) to a connection in the circuit. I noticed on the caps that there are traces that are not used that I could soldier the cap to or a jumper wire. ANy help would be greatlly appreciated. I had to do the smoke test and have a problem because of the traces
                                    Thanks,

Comment

A really good clear focused picture (close up) using the manage attachments function would help us make a judgement call.
                                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thanks, I will post some pics tommorow after work, when I have a little bit of daylight to get a better,clearer pics(hopefully)
                                        Thanks

Comment

I just attached the pics, I thought there where 2 capacitors but I can't find the other one. I didn't cut the first one you can see part of it soldier well but not the one corner.
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X