Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Acer AL2216W Dead

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
    You reported Vcc is low. There are only a few reasons for that.

1. The rectified mains voltage (at pin 8) is too low. It should be at least 125 volts

2. The capacitor hooked to pin 1 is leaky

3. The diode from the tertiary winding is leaky.

4. The TEA1532 is defective.
    Thanks for write-up explaining the startup function of the SMPS chip, that helped a lot.

Looks like #4.
    I removed a jumper (blue circle) that's part of the pin 1 circuit (red line), this eliminated the cap, & diode from the circuit. Still only had 9.7VDC on pin 1.

Hello Digikey...
    Is there anything else I should add to the order? (Just-in-case)

Thanks everybody for the help.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by a55bruce; 09-04-2010, 05:48 PM.

Comment

don't forget the Chip Quik part#smd1 It works Great
      Al.
      Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Originally posted by a55bruce View Post
        Hello Digikey...
        Hmm, another dead EA1532A. Just like this thread.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...hlight=ea1532A

BTW, the pic in post #19, there is one really bad looking solder ring crack joint just above the AC input. You might want to clean that up.

Oh yeah, please report back if you got it working or not once the part comes in.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post

BTW, the pic in post #19, there is one really bad looking solder ring crack joint just above the AC input. You might want to clean that up.
          Optical delusion
          Just some flux left over after sparky paid me a visit while measuring the 120uF capacitor Replaced the fuse when I changed the capacitors, need to go back and clean the flux off.

Comment

Thanks for write-up explaining the startup function of the SMPS chip, that helped a lot.

Is there anything else I should add to the order? (Just-in-case)

Thanks everybody for the help.
            Since the TEA1532 is just a little over $1.00 (yeah, I can't believe it either!), it probably wouldn't hurt to order an extra one just in case............

Comment

Re: Acer AL2216W 'was' Dead

Success !!!!
              I replaced the SMPS chip, plugged it in and ta-da the 5V magically appeared at the connector. I couldn't get it plugged into the screen fast enough. Put it all back together connected up to a system, hit the on button, and it works great!!!

This group is awesome

Thanks again for everybody's help!!!

Comment

Re: Acer AL2216W 'was' Dead

I replaced the SMPS chip, plugged it in and ta-da the 5V magically appeared at the connector.
                Good job. Thanks for letting us know it works.

Want to post pics of the new IC? I'm curious how the soldering job went?
                --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Too late, all buttoned up. I've done some surface mount work a while ago at work where I had the proper equipment. I was worried about the removal of the chip without the de-soldering station. Thanks to "alexanna" for the tip on "Chip Quik", that made the "at home" job go very smoothly. A little solder paste just a touch of the iron and everything flowed very nicely. (Still grinning) This was a freebie that the brother-in-law gave me, $10.00 in parts, good as new (maybe better).

Comment

"Chip Quik", that made the "at home" job go very smoothly. A little solder paste just a touch of the iron and everything flowed very nicely.
                    I like this video by CuriousInventor for SMD work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NN7UGWYmBY

edit: Wait until your brother-in-law sees a working monitor at your place that looks vaguely familar!
                    Last edited by retiredcaps; 09-09-2010, 05:11 PM.
                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I found 4 fuses (F100,F101,F102,F200) that check good.
                      Anyone know more about that F102 Fuse? I acquired a failed monitor from one of my customers and figured I'd dig in and try to see if I could fix it. I'm working on it and think ultimately I'll win!

The board was missing the 5V output. The 13.8V out is ok. I found this site, and on searching e-bay I found a supplier for a repair kit for this board so I ordered it. It's a kit containing the 8 caps on this board that fail. Just before installing them I was looking at the board and found the F102 fuse, a surface mount fuse on the bottom of the board, near the 5V output pin. I checked that fuse and it is open.

I've searched all over to find a schematic for this board that will tell me what type and rating this fuse is. The fuse is black and is marked with a "W". I didn't find the schematic, but after visiting the Bourne site, I think this fuse is a 4 amp fuse. I don't know if it is a slow blow fuse or not though. Maybe someone else might know the answer to that? I've now ordered a few of these fuses. I ordered the slow blow ones, don't know if that is the right move or not, but seeing that this is a power supply, a slow blow fuse might let the board supply some current surges to the video board for a short while before it blows. Maybe someone can let me know if my thinking is right?

I hope this information helps someone else in the future that is having a problem with the 5V output on this board.

Thanks all!

Comment

OK, so now I've replaced the caps, and couldn't wait for the SMD fuses I ordered to come in so I went to a local electronics supplier and picked up a 5Amp pico fuse and soldered it onto the board to replace the surface mounted 4 amp one (F102). Bingo! The monitor works again! Woo hoo! Can't beat that feeling you get when you get something like this fixed and working.

Comment

Hello All,
                          before I start i have to say a read a lot of threads and yes they are so interesting and carry a lot to learn. Now, my problem is almost the same as yours, but a bit different. My monitors led is amber as soon as I plug it in to 220V and stays like that forever, cannot turn monitor on or get picture or anything else. Same monitor, same power board and here´s what I have in regards to measurement. Secondary output (to the logic board) is OK i guess, on 13.8V I have 14.2 and on 5V I have 5V. Checked the fuse on logic board just fine. All the big cat. caps tested and measured almost as factory default. F200 measured 24V~25V which is a bit strange as I have read on other threads it should be less??? Thanks in advance for all your inputs and help folks.

Comment

I am pretty sure that f200 should be near 14
                            are you sure you are testing correctly ?
                            what are you using as a ground

Comment

Used several ground spots on monitor shield, on the boards, screws???

Comment

the large heatsink next to that fuse is a ground.
                                I would recheck that and the 5 volts with and without the main board connected

Comment

I did and got the same readings again. Output 4.9 ~ 5.0V and 24 on the fuse. 5v and 14V is showing on all pin-outs as written on the board right beside 16 pin connector. I have checked mosfets on logic board too- got readings of 3.3 middle pin, input 4,9V and pin 3 4.7V.
                                  I have the power led AMBER all the time and it would not turn on nor show picture or even flash for a second or anything.

Comment

"I have the power led AMBER all the time and it would not turn on nor show picture or even flash for a second or anything" Is this monitor connected to running PC? Power switch does anything?
                                    Never stop learning
                                    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

can you post a picture of the logic board ?
                                      and which mosfets are you checking
                                      if they are the50117k, those are voltage regulators and pin 3 should be ground
                                      tab and center pin 3.3 and 5v input
                                      Last edited by bammbammfran; 05-27-2014, 03:52 PM.

Comment

I'm thinking the F200 voltage should be around 19V. What's the voltage rating of the cap next to it? 25V? Is your meter accurate? Try measuring a battery to verify it's accuracy.

Comment

OK. here it is with pictures...if you need any more measurements just shoot. Thanks peps.
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X