Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sun LCD (Samsung BR24CS) 24.1" - 2.3v Instead Of 6.2v Secondary

Originally posted by jetadm123 View Post
    Definitely unusual, since you say that ALL the caps were previously replaced.
    Hmm, I would not have suspected caps since they were "all replaced" in post #1 and then AGAIN in post #17.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
      Hmm, I would not have suspected caps since they were "all replaced" in post #1 and then AGAIN in post #17.
      Oops! I missed post #17. So, that means the startup cap was replaced 3 times?!

Comment

Re: Sun LCD (Samsung BR24CS) 24.1" - Repair Success - Thanks Guys!

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
        This IS a strange one, I've never seen it before. There is a startup cap on every SMPS controller. If it's bad, usually you see nothing but a pulsing output. I've never seen one where you got a steady, but very low, output voltage.

Anyway, glad you got it working.

PlainBill
        The odd thing is both power supplies had the exact same bad cap. Customer said he replaced all caps but I think he did not. But come caps on the board were capxon and the replaced ones were samxon. The startup one was samxon but I double customer touched it. Anyway on one power supply I got 11.25 V and no power at all on the secondary side. The other was giving 11.50v and giving 2.62v on the secondary. So there certainly is a fragile balance. Thanks again guys.

Comment

Originally posted by jetadm123 View Post
          Definitely unusual, since you say that ALL the caps were previously replaced. Even if the replacement cap wasn't a low-esr one, I would expect it to work long enough, for testing purposes, to power on the supply. So, the original 10uf cap went bad and was replaced by another cap that apparently also didn't work and you got it to work by using a 22uf cap?
          Yes the 22uf cap worked fine. I guess it has nothing to do with timing so the uF wasn't to important. Yea I never trust a customer word when they say I did xyz so I just redid the board one by one starting with that startup cap and hit it on the head.

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
            Customer tells me he got some caps from ebay and some laying around the house. Hahaha. Never trust the CUSTOMER!

Comment

Originally posted by ryankam View Post
              Customer tells me he got some caps from ebay and some laying around the house. Hahaha. Never trust the CUSTOMER!
              One of the most educational monitors I had was a 17" Gateway. The Lady who gave it to me said it wouldn't come out of sleep mode one day, so she unplugged it and plugged it in again, then she didn't get any power LED.

I pop it open, sure enough half the caps on the secondary are bulging. When I check the 5V line it's got a slight 'twitch'. So I replace all the 'important' caps in the secondary. Plug it in, still no power, still the same twitch. After a great deal of searching I came across a reference to a 47uF, 50 volt cap - the startup cap. Replaced that, and away it went.

Now when someone insists on changing only the obviously bad caps, I just grin at the problems they will be having.

PlainBill
              For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
                One of the most educational monitors I had was a 17" Gateway. The Lady who gave it to me said it wouldn't come out of sleep mode one day, so she unplugged it and plugged it in again, then she didn't get any power LED.

I pop it open, sure enough half the caps on the secondary are bulging. When I check the 5V line it's got a slight 'twitch'. So I replace all the 'important' caps in the secondary. Plug it in, still no power, still the same twitch. After a great deal of searching I came across a reference to a 47uF, 50 volt cap - the startup cap. Replaced that, and away it went.

Now when someone insists on changing only the obviously bad caps, I just grin at the problems they will be having.

PlainBill

Hahah Very well said. My hats off to you. We now share the same pain! And knowledge. Thanks again buddy!

Comment

I'd just like to add, even though this is over a year old. I have the same monitor in my basement with the same problem for a friend. After replacing all of the bad caps, and it wouldn't fire up, the startup cap was bad on mine as well. A little research goes a long way.

Thanks for a great repository of information!

Comment

Big thanks guys!
                    I found this nice looking 244t screen lying in the garbage. It showed no sign of life which was encouraging because power supplies are easier to fix than silicon logic. Replacing the obviously blown caps didn't help, but then I re-discovered this wonderful site with all the invaluable advice in it.
                    Indeed, replacing the standby transformer's startup capacitor brought life back to the machine and now it looks like I'm gonna have myself a nice screen for cheap!
                    I only had a 47uF at 50V but it did the trick. I attach some pictures to show where it is on the board.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by misiu_mp; 10-12-2012, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Samsung LS24BRBAB-XAA with the same PSLF101401A Power Supply. I replaced the Caps in the following order to get the set running.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hello everyone!

This thread is 2 years old! But I thought it was valuable to share this. I have had this monitor since 2007. 8 years, and an amazing monitor it has been. I had some weird issues with it, and I knew it was going to fail. Fail it did, I put it aside. (My wife questioned this).

Today, I cracked it open and started probing around the power supply. I was also devoid of the promised 6.3v. However, my skill set did not lend me to figuring out why, but I knew enough to suspect a capacitor. Nothing was obvious. I found this thread, using some google-fu.

I replaced the capacitor from a circuit board I pulled out of a stove that recently fried on me. (Wife also wanted to know why I was keeping that). I change it with a 50v 47uF, and viola! POWER!

Even though I replaced the monitor, I am extremely excited to get this one back, as I love it!

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by jgauthier View Post
                          Fail it did, I put it aside. (My wife questioned this).

I replaced the capacitor from a circuit board I pulled out of a stove that recently fried on me. (Wife also wanted to know why I was keeping that).
                          Sounds like you might be a hoarder. Is your wife your therapist? :-)

Comment

Working...
                          X