HANNSPREE HF289H Black Screen No Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HANNSPREE HF289H Black Screen No Power

Well I ordered replacement caps from DigiKey and replaced all capacitors on the mainboard...still no startup. It wasn't a complete bust because I've learned a lot about soldering. I think I actually enjoyed it and even pulled the old radio out of my 66 pickup for repair. Back to the mainboard, do you think that there might be something else causing the issue on the mainboard?

Comment

With the new caps on the main board, what is the standby voltage now?
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Standby is reading 2.90dcv. I rechecked my soldering job thinking that maybe a cap was lose and not getting a good connection but they all appeared solid.

Comment

"Standby is reading 2.90dcv."

What is it without the main board connected?
          Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Originally posted by welch_41 View Post
            Standby is reading 2.90dcv. I rechecked my soldering job thinking that maybe a cap was lose and not getting a good connection but they all appeared solid.
            1) Doublecheck to make sure all the polarity is correct.

2) Give all your caps a gentle, but firm tug to make sure they are solid.

3) Make sure there are no unintended solder bridges.

4) Did you lift any traces?
            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

What do you mean by "lifting any traces"? Without the main board plugged in, it's still reading around 4.97. I'll look over the caps again when I get home. I might resolder some of my first attempts. I was using a new soldering iron and didn't know about the tinning process until the next day. That made a huge difference. Thanks again for the help on this.

Comment

Originally posted by welch_41 View Post
                What do you mean by "lifting any traces"? Without the main board plugged in, it's still reading around 4.97.
                See post #34 and on this very recent thread.

The fact that your standby voltage went up slightly from 2.75V DC to 2.90V with the new caps suggests the latter may have made a difference. Soldering quality matters.
                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

"See post #34 and on this very recent thread. "
                  @ retiredcaps Sorry you've lost me there. #34 on this thread or another one?
                  Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
                    "See post #34 and on this very recent thread. "
                    @ retiredcaps Sorry you've lost me there. #34 on this thread or another one?
                    Whoops.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19846
                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Hello,
                      I have a hanspree HF289H that failed today, was off and would not turn on. I unplugged power, then unplugged the HDMI cable. then I plugged in just the power and the led power light flickered yellow nonstop really fast. If I plugged in the HDMI cable my pc made the hardware found sound so the monitor was recognized, but the yellow light would stop. So I went upstairs and signed up for this forum to see if I could fix it. after an hour of reading I went back downstairs and my HF289H was displaying no signal message and the blue light was on! in the past 3 months a few times it has been blinking between yellow and blue like it was stuck trying to start up, so all I would do was hold the power button until it turned off and the turn it back on and it was fine. without tearing it open do these symptoms give you guys any idea what is going bad? I have repaired other monitors, tvs(50% sucess rate... ) and video cards with a few caps but this looks like a bigger project.

Comment

Originally posted by Qbass70 View Post
                        after an hour of reading I went back downstairs and my HF289H was displaying no signal message and the blue light was on! in the past 3 months a few times it has been blinking between yellow and blue like it was stuck trying to start up, so all I would do was hold the power button until it turned off and the turn it back on and it was fine.
                        1) The symptoms you describe are likely to due to caps that have high ESR. I have written about this monitor several times now and recommend a complete recap of both boards as this model runs temperature hot. Heat kills the caps and cause the ESR to rise.

2) My standard answer (regulars may skip).

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...84&postcount=3

3) If you have a multimeter, you can may be able measure the voltages and see either low voltage (not within spec) or fluctuating voltage when the yellow flashing light is on.
                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

my monitor went out for good a couple days ago. i need to order caps for the power supply, they have spots on the tops of them. I found a repair kit for $13 on ebay to recap the exact power board model #. I would rather order from digikey but there are so many options for cap sizes with the same uF and voltage.The board is PSM217-404-H-R

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VIEWSONIC-VX...6109%26ps%3D54

could someone that has done this same board give me a detailed cap list?

Comment

i replaced the caps with the kit i ordered and no luck... can someone help me out troubleshooting?

Comment

I cant believe you ordered off ebay after reading retiredcaps post!
                              Check that you have put the caps the right way round and state again what it does from plug in up to stable fault position.
                              Can you list the make/series of the caps you replaced and of the replacements or post pictures of them. As regards troubleshooting most of the tests will be covered in this thread however

We may be able help if you please post good clear pictures of the whole chassis, and then pictures of each board, front and back and close up of connectors, (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) using the manage attachments button, which is found by clicking "go advanced" under quick reply.

Examples of what is needed
                              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1290283049

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...7&d=1280167246

It will be useful if you can say what the supposed fault was and a bit about yourself - skills tools etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Qbass70 View Post
                                i replaced the caps with the kit i ordered and no luck... can someone help me out troubleshooting?
                                I think I know what happened. That kit you ordered from eBay didn't replace all of the caps. Just 12 of them. And it missed 2 of the 3 that are commonly bad on this board. I'll post a pic I have that shows the 3 that need to be replaced (circled in red) and the others circled in blue are optional. ~L-J-7~
                                Attached Files

Comment

I have soldering experience, and the proper tools to replace caps.. I don't have a lot of experience with an ohm meter except for musical equipment... the kit i got had some of the smaller caps outlined in red but they were 22uf and 35v, the ones on my board are 50v. I didn't replace all of those yet. what I really need is I guess is a detailed list of what all the caps are, a scematic... some are to hard to read without removing them from the board. Im going to tear it apart and look again.

Comment

Originally posted by Lumberjack777 View Post
                                    I think I know what happened. That kit you ordered from eBay didn't replace all of the caps. Just 12 of them. And it missed 2 of the 3 that are commonly bad on this board. I'll post a pic I have that shows the 3 that need to be replaced (circled in red) and the others circled in blue are optional. ~L-J-7~
                                    I got it working! I replaced the 22uf 35v caps in blue and red. I did not replace the 100v 1uf cap that is in red (because i didn't get one in the kit or know what it was until i took the one out next to it) I did not replace the 50v 22uf caps because i didnt have those either,, but it works fine now. Thanks for the help! Does anyone have a schematic or list of all the caps for this board?? how do you guys know what to replace unless you strip the board and read all the caps??

Comment

Well done! - bottom line is we usually dont. The usual answer to a request for a list of caps for a board is you need to make a list from your board.
                                      The reason is that boards evolve over time and boards even with the same
                                      part number have different caps - that is also one reason we do not recommend cap kits unless there is no alternative.
                                      If a cap is completely missing it is sometimes possible to find a schematic or parts list or spot it on a picture or have had practical experience of that particular board/cap- one good reason for us asking for good clear pictures - it can help others in the future. It is sometimes possible to find lists in the forum but I would still get people to check it against their own board.

Comment

I guess I should have recorded what I took off damn it! LOL I would like to order the 3 other caps i didnt replace from digikey, who knows how long they will last.. I understand the uf and V and the temp (like 105 etc) but sizing is hard for me to figure out when ordering.

Comment

sorry double post
                                          Last edited by ismolika; 11-29-2012, 11:58 AM. Reason: double post

Comment

Working...
                                          X