Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No screws visible, how to crack open Acer LCD unit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No screws visible, how to crack open Acer LCD unit?

5 year old Acer AL1027 LCD monitor is dead. Looks like a bad power supply. How do I get to open the case? There are no visible screws to remove. I'm afraid if I start prying, I might break something.

Re: No screws visible, how to crack open Acer LCD unit?

A picture of the back and front might help ?/

Comment

Were I to take a wild guess, if there are no screws, then you need a very small flat head screwdriver to gently pry the case apart. I've seen several LCD monitors held together by nothing more then plastic clips molded into the casing, which sucks because you have to be *really* careful prying them apart.

Go slowly, do not force it too much, work evenly, and pray, if you believe that will help.

Comment

For most monitors, I remove the stand and any visible screws, then gently pry the front bezel off starting in the middle of one of the sides. Once you get one a clip or 2 loose you can continue the brute force method, or use a small plastic tool (I use a guitar pick) to properly release the clips. once you get going it'll become clearer how it's done.
        Be careful around the buttons, some need unplugging.
        Once the bezel is off the rest will become obvious.

You'll be surprised how little there is holding these things together.
        36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

I did pry starting at the right lower corner using a very thin flat screwdriver to avoid messing the edge. Just be careful, and as soon as you make the space use a screw driver as you go along the long side of the monitor.

Comment

Yep, pry the front bezel inserting your fingers between it and the lcd panel but not pressing on the panel. It may hurt a bit but it's the safest (for the plastic!) way to do it.

Comment

I use metal guitar picks to pry the seam's latches. Screwdrivers are too narrow and mangle the plastic.
              Cellphone toolkits have these plastic pry tools that work.
              Any thin strong slab you can wedge in there and slide along the seam.

Comment

Old credit cards or a thin piece of spring steel.

Comment

Working...
                X