Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Issue with Westinghouse 19" LCD Monitor (large pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Issue with Westinghouse 19" LCD Monitor (large pics)

I fixed 4 or 5 of these at the beginning of the year but didn't know where to share my knowledge. Here is my post on AVSForum. All these monitors are still running strong. Note that I had a different idea on why they are failing. I suspect the 3913 part doesn't have this flaw.

Westinghouse L2046NV 20" LCD Backlight Out.

If you have a Westinghouse L2046NV with a DAC-19M005 power PCB and your fluorescent backlight is out, here is the solution. You will need a soldering iron, copper braided desoldering wire, thermal paste, and some skillz. You will have to replace the following components. Brackets are [optional]:

Through-Hole:
    Q206, [Q205]
    C204, CE101, [CE109]
    [CE103], [CE104]

SMT (backside of PCB):
    F200

Order these components from Mouser Electronics:
    2x On Semi 60V 45A TO-220 N-Channel FET
    863-NTP45N06LG
    2x Aavid Thermalloy Heatsink for above FETs
    532-7139DG
    3x Nichicon 220uF 35V Capacitors
    647-UHE1V221MPD
    2x Nichicon 1000uF 25V Capacitors
    647-UVZ1E102MPD

1x Bourns 4A 1210 SMT Fuse
    652-SF-1206F400-2

I suspect that there is a flaw in the fluorescent inverter circuit that allows both NFETs to turn on at the same time (causing a short between some of the capacitors and ground). I further suspect that this only happens when the monitor comes out of standby mode. If this is the case, you may get increased life out of this fix by powering off the monitor, waking up your computer, THEN turning it back on rather than allowing the monitor to come out of standby on its own. You may get increased life even if you ignore this advice because of the added heatsinks and the low ESR capacitors that I chose.

If you find this information helpful, or if you repost it somewhere else please make a donation to the Salvation Army.

Gordon

Comment

Originally posted by gfgray
      I fixed 4 or 5 of these at the beginning of the year but didn't know where to share my knowledge. Here is my post on AVSForum. All these monitors are still running strong. Note that I had a different idea on why they are failing. I suspect the 3913 part doesn't have this flaw.

Westinghouse L2046NV 20" LCD Backlight Out.

If you have a Westinghouse L2046NV with a DAC-19M005 power PCB and your fluorescent backlight is out, here is the solution. You will need a soldering iron, copper braided desoldering wire, thermal paste, and some skillz. You will have to replace the following components. Brackets are [optional]:

Through-Hole:
      Q206, [Q205]
      C204, CE101, [CE109]
      [CE103], [CE104]

SMT (backside of PCB):
      F200

Order these components from Mouser Electronics:
      2x On Semi 60V 45A TO-220 N-Channel FET
      863-NTP45N06LG
      2x Aavid Thermalloy Heatsink for above FETs
      532-7139DG
      3x Nichicon 220uF 35V Capacitors
      647-UHE1V221MPD
      2x Nichicon 1000uF 25V Capacitors
      647-UVZ1E102MPD

1x Bourns 4A 1210 SMT Fuse
      652-SF-1206F400-2

I suspect that there is a flaw in the fluorescent inverter circuit that allows both NFETs to turn on at the same time (causing a short between some of the capacitors and ground). I further suspect that this only happens when the monitor comes out of standby mode. If this is the case, you may get increased life out of this fix by powering off the monitor, waking up your computer, THEN turning it back on rather than allowing the monitor to come out of standby on its own. You may get increased life even if you ignore this advice because of the added heatsinks and the low ESR capacitors that I chose.

If you find this information helpful, or if you repost it somewhere else please make a donation to the Salvation Army.

Gordon
      The heatsink would help to get out the heat from them, I concede that, but...why don't use the original MOSFETs?
      There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
      • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
      • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
      • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
      • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • GeForce GT1050
        2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

I couldn't find the originals for sale. Also, since they failed, I thought a better FET was in order anyway.

BTW, a couple Westinghouses that I fixed only need new capacitors.

Comment

Originally posted by gfgray
          I couldn't find the originals for sale. Also, since they failed, I thought a better FET was in order anyway.
          OK. Good reason. So, do you think that those replacements have a better chance to survive than the original ones? I replaced with originals only so far, and just got curious about this ...
          There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
          • Windows 10 Pro x64
          • GeForce GT1050

Comment

I wouldn't go back and redo any repairs, but I trust On Semi more than A-something or whoever they are. Clearly the caps fail first though. So it may not matter in the end.

My friend works for a company that runs their monitors 24x7. These Westinghouses are failing left and right.

Edit - Mouser stocks another heatsink for the TO-220 package if that Aavid Thermaloy I spec'd is OOS. But the Aavid is easiest to install.
            Last edited by gfgray; 07-16-2009, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Depending on what the problem is, it is possible the lower Rds on of the the On Semi FETs could help kill the capacitors faster. But I'll take my chances with the better components. I'll post here if the fixed monitors ever fail. I guess it took 2yrs for the originals to fail.

Comment

hey there, i've been reading the threads in this post and need some help! I have the same model I guess other than mine is the tv model which is the SK-19H210s.

The inside looks almost the same as the one with first pics posted here, but my board model number is DAC-19M015 AF Rev: 02A

anyways, mine does not have the mosfets so i can rule that out, but my 2200uf 10V capacitor is blown i think since the top is bubbled up and looks like a little rust spot maybe where it might have a pin hole in it letting stuff out.

can someone post what type of capacitor i need to replace this with. i read the posts and there were 3 different ones listed and then i could not find them when searching!

if you would, could you please list which one i need with a link maybe describing it.

i guess you could do it from www.mouser.com and if you could, maybe look at www.newark.com to see if they have it too because i've ordered from them before, or anywhere else that will have it that i can rely on!

i appreciate all help i can get with this to get my tv back up and running because when you search for 2200uf 10V caps, you get all different kinds and i don't want to get the wrong one.

thank you!
                Last edited by snowcrashed; 07-19-2009, 09:26 AM.

Comment

i could not edit my message again, but just wanted to state that my original cap was a Capxon 2200uf10V KF105. My model is the tv model and not a computer screen lcd although i guess it could be if hooked up to the vga port!

lastly, the reason that i don't understand which cap to get is after reading pcbonez post about the caps, i have no idea which one to choose for my board. i'm almost positive that i would need a 20mm from reading the post, but then this one has other heights so i just am not sure!

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
                  Audio grade is fine for PC use.
                  In most cases the only difference is the material of the leads [often copper w/tin plating] and that they etch the foil differently before forming the oxide layer on it.
                  It helps in Audio apps and doesn't hurt in other apps.

Yes HE probably exceeds the minimum required for all of theses.
                  I see no reason they couldn't be used, just not what I usually use.

~~~ Now that list I can work with ~~~

FC is a close match to KF
                  - In some the FC is smaller cap than the same uF/volt in KF and in those cases FC may be rated less than KF.
                  - Only affects the 2200uF/10v in this particular list.

GL are better than FC in those sizes.

The KM is a general purpose cap with 560 mA for ripple rating.

KF_______

10V 2200μF 13x20 mm (KF) 1750/.041
                  -- FC [10x30 mm] EEUFC1A222L 1815/.035 [Recommend FC if not too tall]
                  -- FC ~16v~ [12.5x25 mm] EEUFC1C222 1945/.030 [A viable alternate if 25mm fits]
                  -- HE [12.5x20 mm] UHE1A222MHD6 1900/.035

very confusing to me since i don't know much about them and then they list so many different ones on the websites.

looking at the website digi-key, http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/422...1a222mhd6.html if i need the UHE1A222MHD6 cap, that would be it i think since you can't order from mouser.com?

thanks again for any help
                  Last edited by snowcrashed; 07-19-2009, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by snowcrashed
                    i could not edit my message again, but just wanted to state that my original cap was a Capxon 2200uf10V KF105. My model is the tv model and not a computer screen lcd although i guess it could be if hooked up to the vga port!

lastly, the reason that i don't understand which cap to get is after reading pcbonez post about the caps, i have no idea which one to choose for my board. i'm almost positive that i would need a 20mm from reading the post, but then this one has other heights so i just am not sure!

very confusing to me since i don't know much about them and then they list so many different ones on the websites.

looking at the website digi-key, http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/422...1a222mhd6.html if i need the UHE1A222MHD6 cap, that would be it i think since you can't order from mouser.com?

thanks again for any help
                    I would strongly suggest replacing all the caps. Capxon is known to produce low quality caps. You have identified one which failed visibly, others may also have failed or are about to.

Measure the height and diameter of the caps. Post that information together with the numbers from the caps just like you did with the 2200 uf 10V cap. BTW, I prefer to deal with DigiKey - shipping costs less.

PlainBill
                    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill
                      I would strongly suggest replacing all the caps. Capxon is known to produce low quality caps. You have identified one which failed visibly, others may also have failed or are about to.

Measure the height and diameter of the caps. Post that information together with the numbers from the caps just like you did with the 2200 uf 10V cap. BTW, I prefer to deal with DigiKey - shipping costs less.

PlainBill
                      I agree with PlainBill on the Digikey issue, on the replace all issue.... well, I agree with all the post .
                      See what capacitances, voltage ratings and series you have, and suggestions would be made accordingly. Panasonic FC or FM would be great candidates for replacements. Once you've measured your caps, just pick the ones you can fit in there and that's all!
                      • Windows 10 Pro x64
                      • GeForce GT1050

Comment

thanks for the help. i'll get all the caps info and post it here and hopefully you guys can just give me a direct link to them on digi-key!

thanks, charlie

Comment

These are the capacitors that I have in the board:
                          2x 25V 470μF (GL)
                          2x 25V 1000μF (KF)
                          1x 10V 2200μF (KF)
                          1x 10V 1000μF (KF)
                          1x 400V 100μF (KM)
                          1x 50V 47μF (GL)
                          1x 50V 22μF (KF)

With the help in other posts, I've got these capacitors in my cart at Digi-Key ready to hit the buy button I believe.
                          2xUHE1E471MPD CAP 470UF 25V ELECT HE RADIAL
                          2xEEU-FC1E102 CAP 1000UF 25V ELECT FC RADIAL
                          1xUHE1A222MHD6 CAP 2200UF 10V ELECT HE RADIAL
                          1xEEU-FC1A102 CAP 1000UF 10V ELECT FC RADIAL
                          1xEKXG401ELL101MMN3S CAP 100UF 400V ELECT KXG RAD
                          1xELXZ500ELL220MEB5D CAP 22UF 50V ELECT LXZ RAD
                          1xUPW1H470MED CAP 47UF 50V ELECT PW RADIAL (Backordered)

I think this looks right, but please take a look and let me know. I'm sorry to bother you, but I really appreciate the help you have given me as well others that helped me do my research!

Comment

Here is a question for you guys, the one that is backordered is supposed to be in August 9th, but that could change and be delayed longer since it was supposed to be instock July 14th and that backordered date was changed, so should I just not worry about that one capacitor and replace the others, or do I really need to get that one and replace it too?

I don't want to pay double shipping charges to get 8 of the 9 capacitors and i also don't want to be waiting a while for it to come into stock so the whole order can ship and then get this thing put back together since I have parts laying around.

What would you do?

Comment

Here is a question for you guys, the one that is backordered is supposed to be in August 9th, but that could change and be delayed longer since it was supposed to be instock July 14th and that backordered date was changed, so should I just not worry about that one capacitor and replace the others, or do I really need to get that one and replace it too?

I don't want to pay double shipping charges to get 8 of the 9 capacitors and i also don't want to be waiting a while for it to come into stock so the whole order can ship and then get this thing put back together since I have parts laying around.

What would you do?
                              You can use a Panasonic FC.
                              check this link and see if the size fits your need (I saw almost the same sizes, but YOU need to be sure). I think an FC will do fine there.
                              • Windows 10 Pro x64
                              • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Thanks equevarae, that will work. That one is only .30mm taller i believe and the max height on the other ones is 20mm that are standing up and the bigger one is bent over. I'll just add that one to my cart and order it so I can get them all at the same time.

I appreciate the help, hopefully the tv will be working again when they are replaced, but I'll be sure to post back my results!

Comment

Just wanted to give an update that I replaced all of the capacitors the other day with the new ones from digi-key and the set works perfect now. The actual capacitor that did go bad though, 2200uf I believe, I thought I had messed up replacing it. I didn't pay good enough attention to the solder joint when removing the bad cap and when I went to put it in, I noticed that there was solder from the negative pin hole over to a line of solder! I was real worried about whether I pushed some over from the cap solder joint to the other place, but after a lot of thinking and looking, I determined that I did not mess it up and just put the cap back in and left the solder the way it was and everything worked out great.

I appreciate all the help again though. It's great to know that all the cheap ass capacitors have been replaced with good ones and hopefully I want have any more problems out of the tv for a while!

Comment

Just wanted to give an update that I replaced all of the capacitors the other day with the new ones from digi-key and the set works perfect now. The actual capacitor that did go bad though, 2200uf I believe, I thought I had messed up replacing it. I didn't pay good enough attention to the solder joint when removing the bad cap and when I went to put it in, I noticed that there was solder from the negative pin hole over to a line of solder! I was real worried about whether I pushed some over from the cap solder joint to the other place, but after a lot of thinking and looking, I determined that I did not mess it up and just put the cap back in and left the solder the way it was and everything worked out great.

I appreciate all the help again though. It's great to know that all the cheap ass capacitors have been replaced with good ones and hopefully I want have any more problems out of the tv for a while!
                                    Congratulations. Another unit saved from the landfill ...
                                    • Windows 10 Pro x64
                                    • GeForce GT1050

Comment

I just wanted to share my success story as well. The power of the Internet strikes again! I have this same Westinghouse 19" lcd monitor and about two weeks ago it powered up but displayed nothing. After spending a few hours Googling this issue, I found these posts here. $8 dollars in parts from Mouser and an hour and a half later I am sitting in front of my beautiful monitor again. I hate to think of all those other monitors like mine that are trashed when all it takes are these set of instructions and some sweat equity. I want to thank all that posted this information and if there is a way to pay this forward I will. My only question is how you folks learned all this information. I have always worked on speakers and audio equipment but I don't know a mosfet from a muppet. I have reasonable soldering skills and would like to know what you folks do for a living. My guess TV repairmen? I don't know but thanks again. Awesome posts..

Comment

Originally posted by weeblewobblez
                                        I just wanted to share my success story as well. The power of the Internet strikes again! I have this same Westinghouse 19" lcd monitor and about two weeks ago it powered up but displayed nothing. After spending a few hours Googling this issue, I found these posts here. $8 dollars in parts from Mouser and an hour and a half later I am sitting in front of my beautiful monitor again. I hate to think of all those other monitors like mine that are trashed when all it takes are these set of instructions and some sweat equity. I want to thank all that posted this information and if there is a way to pay this forward I will. My only question is how you folks learned all this information. I have always worked on speakers and audio equipment but I don't know a mosfet from a muppet. I have reasonable soldering skills and would like to know what you folks do for a living. My guess TV repairmen? I don't know but thanks again. Awesome posts..
                                        I'm a Wells Fargo teller that learned from this very same forum just reading, buying some bad/dead units from eBay or getting them from landfills, and experimenting (and asking)
                                        • Windows 10 Pro x64
                                        • GeForce GT1050

Comment

I have replaced all these parts
                                          it used to not light up Display lights up now
                                          But no video any more ideas
                                          Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                          X