Dead Power Supply(XAD819AR) for Acer AL1706

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dead Power Supply(XAD819AR) for Acer AL1706

After checking fuse T3.15A/250V, fuse was bad and needs to be replaced. Can I also order this on Digikey? How can I find the information on the ceramic disc capacitors on this board?
    Last edited by IRShifty; 05-03-2009, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IRShifty
      I really do have to apologize for all the multi-posting. Even if you guys are okay with it. It really is not necessary. I just wish the edit timer was longer.

Okay here is a wrap-up with measurements.

1x - "4.7µf 50V GF105°C P602 VENT" (0.1875"D x 0.4375"H)
      1x - "47µf 50V CD81 +105°C U1" (0.25"D x 0.4375"H)
      1x - "100µf 10V GF105°C P602 VENT" (0.25"D x 0.4375"H)
      2x - "100µf 25v GF105°C P602 VENT" (0.25"D x 0.4375"H)
      2x - "220µf 25V GF105°C P602 VENT" (0.3125"D x 0.5"H)
      2x - "470µf 25V GF105°C P544 VENT" (0.375"D x 0.625"H)
      2x - "1000µf 10V GF105°C P602 VENT" (0.375"D x 0.625"H)
      OK, Panasonic FC has a higher impedance rating than the Capxon GF, so lets ty to go to Panasonic FM. I can't find any information on Capxon CD series, maybe a typo? Theose marked with a * are FC series, DigiKey doesn't stock FM in that value.

1x - "4.7µf 50V P10315-ND @ $.27 *
      1x - "47µf 50V P10321-ND @ $.28 *
      1x - "100µf 10V P12919-ND @ $.16
      2x - "100µf 25v P10269-ND @ $.23 *
      2x - "220µf 25V P12383-ND @ $.32
      2x - "470µf 25V P12388-ND @ $.50
      2x - "1000µf 10V P12353-ND @ $.50

PlainBill
      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

I don't have a problem ordering them online. Except for the fact I don't know a lot about them and the order form is pretty complicated coming from my view. Can someone tell me how to properly fill out the inventory form on digikey to get what I need to purchase here.
        This should help with Digi-key.
        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...9529#post69529
        Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

FM are better than FC and very often cost less if you buy 10 pieces.

FC and Nichicon PW are almost identical in specs and can be interchanged if something is out of stock. PW are usually more $ but not much and not always.

Mouser also carries PW now and they tend to be cheaper there than at Digi-key but depending on the order size paying shipping from two places might over-ride the cost advantage.
          Mann-Made Global Warming.
          - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

After checking fuse T3.15A/250V, fuse was bad and needs to be replaced. Can I also order this on Digikey? How can I find the information on the ceramic disc capacitors on this board?
            Fuses can also be ordered from DigiKey. Use the same general procedure, except you're looking for a 3.15A / 250 V ceramic pigtail fuse. You will probably have to get a package of 5. Check the length of the original and match with the information just above the fuse.

Failure of the ceramic caps is very rare.

PlainBill
            For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill
              I can't find any information on Capxon CD series, maybe a typo?
              I am sorry, I should have stated this specific cap is a different brand. It is marked with a TL for its logo. With this different brand, its specs stay the same.

Also when it comes to fuses on Digikey, Will i need a "Fast Acting, Short Time Lag" or a "Slow Blow, Long Time Lag?" What is the difference?
              Last edited by IRShifty; 05-03-2009, 11:00 PM.

Comment

TL brand is a "who-knows-what-crap" brand and doesn't appear on the web. Just assume a CapXon GF series of same value for substitution.

That series, slo-blo ceramic axial(a.k.a. pigtail) fuses, from Digi-key are not available singly, only by 100 count and up. That fuse is less than 1/2" long, correct?

You can step up to a 3.2A axial fuse in glass:
                http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...&name=F3244-ND
                but they are min. qty of 5@$1.14 each, and are longer so bending the legs back under will be necessary.

With PlainBill's numbers and PCBONEZ's guide, you should be able to get an order together quickly. Just plug in Bill's numbers (i.e.- P10315-ND) in the search block and the site will take you right to the item. Use my link above for the fuse.

Happy Hunting!
                Toast
                veritas odium parit

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty
                  TL brand is a "who-knows-what-crap" brand and doesn't appear on the web. Just assume a CapXon GF series of same value for substitution.

That series, slo-blo ceramic axial(a.k.a. pigtail) fuses, from Digi-key are not available singly, only by 100 count and up. That fuse is less than 1/2" long, correct?

You can step up to a 3.2A axial fuse in glass:
                  http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...&name=F3244-ND
                  but they are min. qty of 5@$1.14 each, and are longer so bending the legs back under will be necessary.

With PlainBill's numbers and PCBONEZ's guide, you should be able to get an order together quickly. Just plug in Bill's numbers (i.e.- P10315-ND) in the search block and the site will take you right to the item. Use my link above for the fuse.

Happy Hunting!
                  Toast
                  Could I go all the way up to a 3.5A fuse? Digikey has a 3.5A with the same specs. It is a smaller length and less money.

Comment

You "could" but you risk damage if there is a fault, and the fuse doesn't react in time.

What is the part number of the one you found?
                    veritas odium parit

Comment

F2491-ND, I dont mind the bigger size. I just noticed this other one being close to the same rating and also being smaller and decided I would ask your oppinion on which one you would think would perform better before I put my order in.

Comment

Hmmm. I'd rather you didn't, but that's your call.

The ampere rating is there for protection. It's not the current that the circuit operates at, but where it was designed to max out indicating a problem. Yes, the 3.5A fuse is only 350mA more than what is called for, but it could cause a fire if you use it. Remember, this is on the 120 volt mains input. CAUTION!

Toast
                        veritas odium parit

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill
                          I see several possibilities.

1. Don't use CapXon's - they're unreliable.

2. Don't use caps rated for 85°C, use low ESR 105°C caps. I prefer Panasonic FC or FW.

3. I question using caps with radically higher voltage ratings, this makes fitting caps into tight quarters more difficult.

4. Have you checked the input fuse?

5. On some power supplies the small caps (like the 4.7 uF 50 volt) cause problems. They are essential for the regulator chip.

PlainBill
                          Some confusion might have been avoided if the OP had mentioned (and read through ?) the original post that the photo came from. Though it was not a problem for me, I regret missing and correctly labeling that last Crapxon that Toasty pointed out as a potential problem .....

Confused cap values during removal- best fix?
                          "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790) ~

Comment

I had read all through your post Danny, But I did miss the new caps parts numbers as I didn't plan on recapping this board for a second time.

UPDATE: I have recapped the entire board with the Panasonic FM's and replaced the fuse (new ones were all most 3 times the size). Still board appears to be dead. Will pull back apart tomorrow and do some further testing.

Comment

Dang! But the fuse held? If true, then the component on the board that caused the fuse to go is also probably toast.

Did you ever test the small fuse over in the corner that I indicated in my post? Between C59 & C62?

Toast
                              veritas odium parit

Comment

15 and counting AL1706 monitors went bad where I work. Replacing the two 1000uf 10v and one 1000 uf 25v cap took care of the problem. About once a week one of these monitors goes bad so it's become part of my routine to fix them. We've never had a problem with any of the other Acer models.

Comment

This would be my first post here and I know this is from awhile back,but are all these tdk boards ife I found this forum looking for the same problem on the same board,only mine is for a al1916 and the board rev is 0606,I have to say thanks to all that have laid all this info out,its a time saver.My lcd works but you have to let it set for month to drain off and it will fire up but if you turn it off th light will stay yellow and will not fire up and looking at the caps there are 7 that are poping up and so it would be best to replace all ,,digakey had a 25min. order the last time I got parts from them I take it this has changed.
                                  Also its good to have someone post that it worked or didnt,great site again thanks for the amount of info,,VTAILS

Comment

Recap, it will work.

Comment

A friend dropped of a dead AL1706. I just pulled a domed 1000uf/25v Su'scon sg out of it. Replaced a total of 5 caps from 220uf and up. The 470uf/25v was also a Su'scon, (2)1000uf/10v Teapo's and (1) 220uf/25v Su'scon. All now are Panasonic FC and 1000uf/25v is Nichicon. Now using the monitor on this forum.
                                      Stupidity should be a crime, especially for drivers. I have NO patience for them.

Comment

PlainBill tell us the Mouser order story.

Comment

Originally posted by joedaddy277
                                          PlainBill tell us the Mouser order story.
                                          Sorry, I just spent the last 24 hours fixing a leaking faucet, getting my eyes dilated by an opthamologist, and killing a swarm of 'killer' bees. I don't have a clue what you are talking about. Could you point out the post?

PlainBill

Comment

Working...
                                          X