X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung SyncMaster 226BW

Originally posted by SLBEngineer
    Thanks PlainBill

The monitor is in Warranty. I have two problems though. First I don't have a receipt and second I have replaced some capacitors and managed to damage on of the old ones so it can't be put back.

I wasn't going to work on it but since we had no proof of purchase I figured I had nothing to loose. Just fixed my 2 year old Samsung 46" LCD TV this week with bad caps and thought I would get lucky on the monitor.

I have attached the pics of the top and bottom of the power supply / inverter board.
    Nice pictures. I have taken the liberty of thoroughly marking up the picture of the bottom side of the board. Note the points circled in red. The outputs of the transformers go to the connectors for the CCFL leads. The voltage is reduce by means of a capacitive divider. Note the leads connecting the points circled in red to the points circled in aqua, the second parts of the voltage dividers. Those are combined and fed to the inverter controller (circled in yellow).

Note the four connector pins circled in blue. Those are the return lines for the CCFLs. The voltage there is fed back to a circuit (also circled in blue - I was running out of nice colors) which combines the currents and feeds the sum back to the inverter controller.

Inverter controllers can monitor the voltage across the CCFLs and the current through them. Depending on the design they can shut down if any of the following conditions occur for any CCFL: Voltage to low; voltage too high; current too low; current too high.

The quick test I suggest is measuring the voltage at the return line. It should be under 1 volt. If any connector has a voltage that is lower or higher than the others, suspect a problem with the transformer, the CCFL, or the monitoring circuit.

PlainBill
    Attached Files
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

I measured the 4 blue return lines. They all read .023 vdc which seems low.

Comment

PlainBill

You did want me to measure the returns back to ground?

SLBEngineer

Comment

PlainBill

You did want me to measure the returns back to ground?

SLBEngineer
          Yes. You're right, .023 volts does seem low.

I wasn't explicit, however. This measurement is to be made while the CCFLs are working. This usually requires hitting the power button on the monitor several times to turn the CCFLs back on momentarily. Of course, it is easiest with a scope. Look for differences between CCFLs. If you look up the datasheet for the CCFL controller you can often determine if it is shutting down due to excessive voltage or excessive (or too little) current.

PlainBill
          For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

PlainBill.

Well pretty bad that I didn't think about testing when it first came on since it is shutting down. What can I say I am a mechanical engineer. I know just enough about electronics to be dangerous! Worked with electronics technicians for 30 years, but I mainly stick to the nuts and bolts stuff.

Ok I checked them when they were turned on and the one on the far left was a lot different than the others. When the power comes on it would start out reading 3.3 mv dc for a second or two then jump up to 125 mv then go back down to about 17. mv.

The other three would start out at 3.3 mv when it was turned on then go up to about 17. mv and then drop to around 10 mv and then go back up and stay at about 17. mv.

The first increase in voltage was when the analog box come on after power up.

Not sure if it makes any difference but I did check the one on the far left AC voltage and it was going up to about 1.3 v. The others were only going up to about 100-150 mv Ac.

Comment

PlainBill.

Well pretty bad that I didn't think about testing when it first came on since it is shutting down. What can I say I am a mechanical engineer. I know just enough about electronics to be dangerous! Worked with electronics technicians for 30 years, but I mainly stick to the nuts and bolts stuff.

Ok I checked them when they were turned on and the one on the far left was a lot different than the others. When the power comes on it would start out reading 3.3 mv dc for a second or two then jump up to 125 mv then go back down to about 17. mv.

The other three would start out at 3.3 mv when it was turned on then go up to about 17. mv and then drop to around 10 mv and then go back up and stay at about 17. mv.

The first increase in voltage was when the analog box come on after power up.

Not sure if it makes any difference but I did check the one on the far left AC voltage and it was going up to about 1.3 v. The others were only going up to about 100-150 mv Ac.
              What is the part number of the inverter controller IC? That will give some clues as to what is happening.

PlainBill

Comment

I read it 0Z964GN
                T07386 2G
                0707C

I have attached a pic of the IC.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill
                  Here's what I would replace. I'm using Panasonic part numbers. Any low ESR caps from the other manufacturers on the 'Good caps list' would also work.

C107 47uF 50v GL 105 °C C640 VENT 5mm D x 10mm H EEU-FC1H470
                  C110 820uF 25v GL 105 °C C646 VENT 10mm D x 20mm H EEU-FM1E821L *
                  C111 820uF 25v GL 105 °C C646 VENT 10mm D x 20mm H EEU-FM1E821L *
                  C112 330uF 25v GL 105 °C C638 VENT 10mm D x 15mm H EEU-FM1E331
                  C301 680uF 25v GL 105 °C C650 VENT 10mm D x 17mm H EEU-FM1E681
                  C302 680uF 25v GL 105 °C C650 VENT 10mm D x 17mm H EEU-FM1E681

* Check the height on these. You might have to use EEU-FC1E821S instead

This cap has a low failure rate, but if I ignore it Toasty will get on my case.
                  C105 150uF 450v GL 105 °C C640 VENT 20mm D x 42mm H EET-ED2W151BA

As far as a soldering iron and solder, I don't have any specific brands. My favorite iron has been out of production for several decades. Something in the 30 - 40 watt range would be good for this job. For solder, I use Kester brand low melt eutectic (63/37)

PlainBill
                  Hi guys,

Another 226BW owner with blown capacitors reporting in!

Awesome info in this thread so far, i have a question related to the quote above. I'm trying to avoiding paying shipping costs/extended delivery time and looking for a UK supplier. The problem i am having is with C110 and C111 listed above.

I have the same board layout as Krickster so fitting the 12mm wide capacitors is not an option, and i dont have the height available to fit the 25mm Shown above. I have found a possible solution in the EEUFK1E821 (panasonic part number) however it has a "Ripple" rating which the ones posted above dont, does this make a difference?

To the untrained eye it looks ok, but thought i had better check first.

Comment

Originally posted by Neamus
                    Hi guys,

Another 226BW owner with blown capacitors reporting in!

Awesome info in this thread so far, i have a question related to the quote above. I'm trying to avoiding paying shipping costs/extended delivery time and looking for a UK supplier. The problem i am having is with C110 and C111 listed above.

I have the same board layout as Krickster so fitting the 12mm wide capacitors is not an option, and i dont have the height available to fit the 25mm Shown above. I have found a possible solution in the EEUFK1E821 (panasonic part number) however it has a "Ripple" rating which the ones posted above dont, does this make a difference?

To the untrained eye it looks ok, but thought i had better check first.
                    Good thing you did. That is a Panasonic FK series, and wouldn't do. Please note my comments in the original thread. I choose Panasonic because of my history of satisfaction with them. This is much like a man who keeps going back to the same pub. It's not like there are no other pubs available. It's a matter of it being familiar, and good.

This thread lists 'good' series of caps. There are several reliable manufacturers and series of caps listed. This thread lists possible sources of caps. In addition, there are a number of people here from the UK (Bobdee comes to mind), perhaps one of them can suggest a local supplier. While Digikey has excellent prices and low shipping costs to the USA, I am aware that is not true for customers who live in the rest of the world.

PlainBill
                    Last edited by PlainBill; 12-18-2009, 07:41 AM.

Comment

.... In addition, there are a number of people here from the UK (Bobdee comes to mind), perhaps one of them can suggest a local supplier. ....

PlainBill
                      I agree. Maybe Bob can tell you where he gets his stuff there in the UK
                      There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
                      • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
                      • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
                      • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
                      • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
                      • Windows 10 Pro x64
                      • GeForce GT1050
                        2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

What is the part number of the inverter controller IC? That will give some clues as to what is happening.

PlainBill
                        PlainBill.

Was that the correct part number you needed?

Comment

PlainBill.

Was that the correct part number you needed?
                          Yes, unfortunately real life is intruding at the moment and I haven't taken the time to locate and analyze the datasheet.

To be brutal, when the choice is between disappointing my wife and grandchildren at Christmas, helping prepare the house for Christmas, and helping you, you get the 'mucky end of the stick'. Not to worry, my generosity gene will kick in again and I'll be able to tell you what to measure.

PlainBill

Comment

Yes, unfortunately real life is intruding at the moment and I haven't taken the time to locate and analyze the datasheet.

To be brutal, when the choice is between disappointing my wife and grandchildren at Christmas, helping prepare the house for Christmas, and helping you, you get the 'mucky end of the stick'. Not to worry, my generosity gene will kick in again and I'll be able to tell you what to measure.

PlainBill
                            PlainBill

I was not trying to rush you . I really appreciate you taking your time to help me. I too have been busy with the wife and kids getting ready for Christmas and have not really been at the computer much. Posting on these things is new to me and I was just wanting to make sure that was the correct number and there was nothing else needed. I am in no big hurry. Have Merry Christmas with your family.

Comment

PlainBill

I was not trying to rush you . I really appreciate you taking your time to help me. I too have been busy with the wife and kids getting ready for Christmas and have not really been at the computer much. Posting on these things is new to me and I was just wanting to make sure that was the correct number and there was nothing else needed. I am in no big hurry. Have Merry Christmas with your family.
                              One correction. The IC is an OZ964GN (first character is 'oh', not 'zero'). Alldatasheet.com has a copy of the datasheet. Briefly, the IC provides two protection modes. Pin 2 is used to sense output voltage and will shut down the inverter if the output voltage goes too high. Pin 9 senses the CCFL current and will reduce the output if the current goes too high. Without actually tracing circuits I can't determine how the feedback signals are used. However, pin 2 appears to be the key. If that goes above 2.7 volts the inverter will shut down. Try to measure the voltage it reaches (repeat several times).

Also, if you would provide a somewhat more detailed picture of the components around the IC, I would appreciate it. Specifically, everything in the area between the two transformers, and extending down to the lower edge of the board.

PlainBill
                              Last edited by PlainBill; 12-20-2009, 06:55 AM.

Comment

One correction. The IC is an OZ964GN (first character is 'oh', not 'zero'). Alldatasheet.com has a copy of the datasheet. Briefly, the IC provides two protection modes. Pin 2 is used to sense output voltage and will shut down the inverter if the output voltage goes too high. Pin 9 senses the CCFL current and will reduce the output if the current goes too high. Without actually tracing circuits I can't determine how the feedback signals are used. However, pin 2 appears to be the key. If that goes above 2.7 volts the inverter will shut down. Try to measure the voltage it reaches (repeat several times).

Also, if you would provide a somewhat more detailed picture of the components around the IC, I would appreciate it. Specifically, everything in the area between the two transformers, and extending down to the lower edge of the board.

PlainBill

PlainBill

I checked pin 2 with the VOM meter and the highest I saw it go was 900 mV dc. Not sure if I am seeing the entire picture with this meter! But it does spike and drop back off.

I have attached several pics. One shows the entire area around the IC. The other 4 show closeups.
                                Attached Files

Comment

PlainBill

Does this component look like it has been hot? I have circled it in yellow on the pic.

Thanks
                                  Attached Files

Comment

PlainBill

Does this component look like it has been hot? I have circled it in yellow on the pic.

Thanks
                                    Strange. There is something unusual about it, but that is part of the current sense circuit. It shouldn't be handling any significant current. But it looks like something has leaked from it.

PlainBill

Comment

PlainBill

I was looking at the Samsung web site and they may service the monitor even if I don't have a receipt. Would have been smart for me to check before replacing the bad caps! I was thinking about replacing the original caps and sending it in to see if they will work on it. I am about to have to go back to work and won't have a lot of time for a while. Do you think they will void the warranty if they see the caps being messed with? I need to see if anyone has a CapXon 820 uf 25V capacitor they have removed from a monitor they can send me so it will all look original. When taking out one of the old ones the pliers damaged one of them.

Comment

I just want to thank everybody for posting this tread. I just replaced 2 820uf 25v caps and 1 330uf 25v cap pluged in the monitor fully expecting it not to work but to my supprise it powered right up and works just like before.

Comment

Originally posted by robimark
                                          I just want to thank everybody for posting this tread. I just replaced 2 820uf 25v caps and 1 330uf 25v cap pluged in the monitor fully expecting it not to work but to my supprise it powered right up and works just like before.
                                          What caps were used as replacements? If you did not use the right ones, this might be a temporary fix ....
                                          There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
                                          • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
                                          • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
                                          • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
                                          • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
                                          • Windows 10 Pro x64
                                          • GeForce GT1050
                                            2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

Working...
                                          X