Samsung SyncMaster 226BW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung SyncMaster 226BW

I would like to thank PlainBill and the other experts who take their time to help everyone with there monitor problems. I really appreciate the help!
    I found out that I can probably send in my monitor for warranty. I was going to replace the old CapXon capacitors and send it in, but one of the capacitors was damaged during removal.

Does anyone have an old CapXon 820 uf cap that they can mail me to replace the damaged one. I would appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by SLBEngineer
      I would like to thank PlainBill and the other experts who take their time to help everyone with there monitor problems. I really appreciate the help!
      I found out that I can probably send in my monitor for warranty. I was going to replace the old CapXon capacitors and send it in, but one of the capacitors was damaged during removal.

Does anyone have an old CapXon 820 uf cap that they can mail me to replace the damaged one. I would appreciate it.
      I may have some you can use if you still need them

Comment

Hello!

I have two of these LCDs with the same caps problem. I am looking for the replacement caps and I tried to order the Panasonic ones PlainBill suggested and a couple of those caps are out of stock until April/March. I've been looking around and finally found this brand Nichicon with all of them in stock at digikey.com.

UPW1H470MED
        UPW1E821MPD
        UPW1E331MPD6
        UPW1E681MPD

Will these work ok?

I am also confused on the PlainBill's suggestions of some of these caps aren't the exact sizes, like for one, Panny 50v 47uF cap measured 6.3mm while the original CapX one measure 5.0mm. Does it matter?

Thanks in advance!

PS, someone asked for a decent soldering iron. This 30 watters http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...uctId=2062758# works great for me replacing caps on motherboards at work.
        Last edited by Razzy; 01-28-2010, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Razzy
          Hello!

I have two of these LCDs with the same caps problem. I am looking for the replacement caps and I tried to order the Panasonic ones PlainBill suggested and a couple of those caps are out of stock until April/March. I've been looking around and finally found this brand Nichicon with all of them in stock at digikey.com.

UPW1H470MED
          UPW1E821MPD
          UPW1E331MPD6
          UPW1E681MPD

Will these work ok?

I am also confused on the PlainBill's suggestions of some of these caps aren't the exact sizes, like for one, Panny 50v 47uF cap measured 6.3mm while the original CapX one measure 5.0mm. Does it matter?

Thanks in advance!

PS, someone asked for a decent soldering iron. This 30 watters http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...uctId=2062758# works great for me replacing caps on motherboards at work.
          I only did a quick check, but those should work fine. The one I compared (47uF, 50V) is better than the Panasonic FC series.

When matching caps there are two factors to consider - the performance characteristics and the physical characteristics. It should be obvious that if the original cap was rated for 1000uF, 25V 105°C substituting a 470uF, 6.3V, 85°C cap isn't going to work.

The physical characteristics have only a small effect on the electrical performance. The important factor is 'Will they fit'? Sometimes the caps are jammed in next to one another, sometimes they have a lot of room.

Usually I request both the value and the series of the original caps, plus the dimensions. More often then not, the poster neglects to specify the dimensions and series. Since I only have a picture (if that) to guide me, I usually simply caution the user to make sure the suggested replacements will fit.

PlainBill
          For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

I still have one of the LCD taken apart so here are the values:

GL 105c
            C725
            VENT

Thanks for the response!

Comment

Whoops, I just reverfied the dimensions on the caps.. the 820uF 25v PW series is 10x25 =\ Back to drawing board....

Comment

Height from board to chassis is about 26mm...

Will 12.5mmx20mm fit on C110 and C111? I measured 10mm wide on the original caps. http://i.imgur.com/73Pfz.jpg
                Last edited by Razzy; 01-28-2010, 08:20 PM.

Comment

OK, team...I got an account here just to say thanks to all the people who posted. It helped me fix my 225BW Samsung.

Symptoms: No picture at all when power and signal were available and on button pressed. On button blinked rapidly, faster than the 'no signal' type blink. Monitor failed slowly over time, and would take a while to 'warm up' and eventually bring up a bright picture. Replacement caps fixed and monitor is on instantly now and very bright.

I think I have the 'rev 2' of the power inverter board. Here is what I got from Digikey, $11 (UPS ground shipping) was my total bill (in addition to a roll of solder from Radio Shack):

1 of P/N 565-1855-ND (these are Digi-Key P/N's)
                  3 of P/N 565-1795-ND
                  2 of P/N 565-1800-ND

All are United Chemi-Con and are the high reliability (5000 hours at 105C) type. I admit I wanted a matched set. Also, I picked a higher voltage rating for the little cap as Chemi-con didn't have the exact match farad/volt rating.

If you've done any soldering at all, you can re-cap your board. Heck, disassembling the 225BW was a bigger chore than getting the caps replaced.

Use a solder sucker or copper mesh to pull away the solder from the existing component.

Caps have a polarity - they go in a certain way.

You can do it!

Comment

Thanks again Toasty and PlainBill for all their help. It's taken me some time to check back to this thread but just wanted to let everyone know that I received the capacitors and borrowed a soldering iron off a friend and was able to install all the capacitors except:

C105 150uF 450v GL 105 °C C640 VENT 20mm D x 42mm H EET-ED2W151BA

And now my monitor works again. The reason I was unable to install the C105 capacitor was due to the part I order had really short leads. Since the capacitor on my board lays on its side due to height requirement the replacement capacitor would require long leads to bend and reach the electric board. I didn't even think of this when I ordered and since all the other capacitors came with long leads I didn't even think of this would have been an issue. But even without that capacitor my monitor is working great. Thanks again to everyone.

Comment

Wow, I have the same monitor. Guess I can look forward to replacing some caps in the future. No problems yet. I'm certainly glad this forum exists.

Originally posted by Toasty
                      Shelf life would be okay for 5 years if they're kept cool and never have a voltage applied to them before use.

After storing them, and before you go to use them, apply roughly 1/3 their voltage for an hour, then the next 1/3, then finally full voltage. It helps "re-form" the electrolyte/dielectric/aluminum slowly without damage.

Toast
                      I had no idea they had a shelf life. Thats good info to have. Thanks Toasty.

Comment

Originally posted by buzznjackal
                        The reason I was unable to install the C105 capacitor was due to the part I order had really short leads. Since the capacitor on my board lays on its side due to height requirement the replacement capacitor would require long leads to bend and reach the electric board. I didn't even think of this when I ordered and since all the other capacitors came with long leads I didn't even think of this would have been an issue. But even without that capacitor my monitor is working great.
                        I did see that on pictures of that big cap, I didn't order it. Glad I didn't either. I replaced all 6 caps, working great now. Did you use 10x25 or 12.5x20 820uF/25v?

Comment

>>unable to install the C105 capacitor was due to the part I order had really short leads<<

Nothing wrong with soldering "extensions" to the leads to allow them to reach the circuit board. Sometimes you have to do this because the cap you want is only available with the short legs (twist lock).
                          veritas odium parit

Comment

Hmm can I just cut the leads off the old ones (while it's still soldered on the board) and just solder the new cap onto the leads? I might just do that later.

Comment

Remember that a good electrical connection starts with a strong mechanical connection and you should have no problem. Don't just "mid-air" tack-solder the leads. Wrap them around the new cap's posts and crimp with needle nose pliers.
                              veritas odium parit

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Those short leg caps are called radial snap-ins.

I always have to deal with them when replacing line caps (I only replace these on personal monitors because I'm a completest).

Cut the old radials leads off right at the caps bung bend the snap-ins leads down with pliers and solder the old leads to the snap-ins legs.

I can do this without removing the old caps leads from the board but if it makes you more comfortable you can desolder the old legs and solder them onto the new cap off the board.

Then after the cap is soldered in lift the cap up and apply a layer of hot glue under it then press it down.

This secures it to the PCB so it doesn't wiggle around when the monitor is being moved and break the soldered connections.

Tiny glue guns can be bought for around $10 bucks.
                                  Last edited by Krankshaft; 02-14-2010, 09:51 AM.
                                  Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Originally posted by Razzy
                                    I did see that on pictures of that big cap, I didn't order it. Glad I didn't either. I replaced all 6 caps, working great now. Did you use 10x25 or 12.5x20 820uF/25v?

Here is what I ordered from Digi-Key.com and to reiterate I did not install the large 150uF 450v cap because the leads were short and the capacitor lays sideways glued to the electric board and it was too much for a novice like me to deal with at the time. But next time I get my hands on a soldering iron I will go back and finish the job, knowing what I know now. Thanks again for everyone's input.

Index Quantity Part Number Description Customer Reference Back Order Quantity Unit Price USD Extended Price USD

1 1 P11673-ND CAP 150UF 450V ELECT TS-ED 0 4.88000 $4.88
                                    2 1 P10321-ND CAP 47UF 50V ELECT FC RADIAL 0 0.28000 $0.28
                                    3 2 P11222-ND CAP 820UF 25V ELECT FC RADIAL 0 1.30000 $2.60
                                    4 1 P12386-ND CAP 330UF 25V ELECT FM RADIAL 0 0.37000 $0.37
                                    5 2 P12390-ND CAP 680UF 25V ELECT FM RADIAL 2

Lead Time 0.59000 $1.18
                                    Subtotal $9.31
                                    Shipping unknown
                                    Estimated Sales Tax $0.61
                                    Total unknown

The last two were on back order at the time I placed the order but I just told them to ship all the capacitors together when they got them in. This delayed shipping by only a couple of days.
                                    Last edited by buzznjackal; 02-15-2010, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Thanks everyone for posting your results for the SyncMaster 226BW

I wanted to report that mine is fixed from blinking at cold start up and where I got my parts

I got:

6 - 820, Newark part # 23K4093
                                      6 - 680, Newark part # 16M6226
                                      6 - 330, Newark part # 69K7939
                                      6 - 47, Newark part # 96K9172

Got a few extras just to have.

Ordered on Sat and got them that Mon for a total cost including shipping for $15.45

They have a good list of components and are fast shipping

hxxp://www.newark.com

Comment

I just ordered my parts Sunday from newark so hopefully I get it by friday.....and fix the blinking

Comment

I finally got around to ordering parts and got them today. The monitor is now working fine.

C107 47uF 50v Panasonic FC 105°C 6.3mm D x 11.2mm H P10321-ND
                                          C111, C112, C114, C316, C317 820uF 25v Panasonic FM 105°C 10mm D x 25mm H P12391-ND
                                          C113 330uF 25v Panasonic FM 105°C 10mm D x 12.5mm H P12386-ND
                                          C118 2.2uF 50v Nichicon VZ 105°C 5mm D x 11mm H 493-1334-ND
                                          C318 22uF 50v Panasonic FM 105°C 5mm D x 11mm H P12927-ND

I have extras for sale.

Comment

Working...
                                          X