Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weak Vision due to Eye Strain when using Microscope

Dear Forum Members,

Microscope is required for micro-soldering and for measuring tiny components on a mainboard. I have to use microscope because my eyes are not that strong to see tiny IC pins.
    My microscope has light to improve vision. I have attached a photo of my microscope.

Looking through a microscope gives us eye strain. After using microscope for 5 to 10 minues, my eyes get a bit weak in recognizing close objects. that means close objects look a bit blur. Then, I have to wait for 5 to 10 hours til my eyes get back to normal.

1. Do you experience the same problem too? Is there any solution on how to avoid eye weakness after using microscope?

Although this eye weakness is temporary, I heard that this eye strain has a permanent effect on our vision too. that means vision get weaker and weaker if we use microscope for many days.
    2. Is this true? Any solution please?

If a microscope displays the magnified video of mainboard on a monitor, then eyes do not need to strain. But soldering using such a monitor-based microscope is difficult.
    3. Is there any convenient microscope without eye strain?

Thanks
    Attached Files
    Last edited by caspian; 08-14-2019, 02:30 AM.

Re: Weak Vision due to Eye Strain when using Microscope

That is a magnifier not a microscope.

Using a proper stereo microscope will remove the issues you have.

Comment

I never had a stereo microscope so far. But I think if a stereo microscope contains two magnifying glasses, they may strain our eyes. is this true?

Comment

Originally posted by caspian View Post
        I never had a stereo microscope so far. But I think if a stereo microscope contains two magnifying glasses, they may strain our eyes. is this true?
        A stereo microscope is used to let you perceive depth in the magnified image. There are two optical paths looking at the subject from two different viewpoints. Also, usually a collimated light source is used to enhance the depth perception. A regular "magnifying glass" just gives you a planar view of the object. (just like having two eyes lets you perceive depth in viewing the world around you -- try closing one eye and navigating a flight of stairs).

They do, however, require some getting used to as you are relying on two optical paths being "in focus" concurrently. If your eyes have different vision characteristics (i.e., different "prescriptions") you need to tweek at least one objective to bring both eyes to bear on the task.

If you'd prefer an easier tool, try a Mantis:
        http://www.visioneng.com/products/st...on-microscope/
        Make sure you're seated when you request a price quote!
        Last edited by Curious.George; 08-14-2019, 04:14 AM.

Comment

The Mantis seems to be a great microscope that displays mainboard on a monitor and provides a wide working space. I guess it is too expensive for me now. Probably, every technician will have such a microscope in the near future.

Comment

No, zero eye strain, in fact looking through a stereo microscope at a motherboard is AWESOME, like escaping into a whole new world.
            Enables me to solder anything, including a plasma flex cable (1080p). https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59062

Comment

The Mantis seems to be a great microscope that displays mainboard on a monitor and provides a wide working space. I guess it is too expensive for me now.
              The advantage to the Mantis (over a traditional stereo microscope) is that it is more tolerant of your "viewing position". With a stereo microscope, you have to have BOTH eyes up against the objectives in order to see anything. The Mantis is more like "normal viewing".

Each of them have adjustable magnification levels.

Getting the piece you're working on into focus can be tricky because they have very shallow depths of field. If you're always working on a "flat" circuit board, you can adjust the stage so that the board is "almost" in focus, by default, and then tweek the focus to sharpen the image.

OTOH, if you are sometimes working on a daughter card that is mounted ABOVE a "main board", it will be at a different distance from the optics (cuz you've got the stage in a fixed position) so it takes a bit of fiddling to regain that level of focus (everything will just be a swirl of colors and you'll have to use your BRAIN -- not your eyes -- to sort out which direction to move in order to bring things into focus).

Stereomicroscopes are dirt cheap. You can probably find one for < $100
              (I paid $20 for mine, incl collimated light source, spare bulbs and MASSIVE adjustable base/mounting arm). The Mantis, OTOH, can easily approach $2K!

To view REALLY difficult subjects, I use a "Flipper" that I rescued many years ago. The advantage is that you can move the camera TO the subject (instead of bringing the subject to the camera/microscope). The "glasses" are particularly useful in that you can have your head looking AWAY from the subject and still be locked onto whatever the camera is seeing.

[I used this, recently, to repair some sensors inside a car door without taking the door apart. I'd forever have been twisting and turning to get a good view with my EYES but the glasses let me not worry about where my eyes were "pointed" as long as the camera was locked onto the target!]
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Curious.George; 08-14-2019, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X