Dell 400SC PowerEdge Server capacitor failures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell 400SC PowerEdge Server capacitor failures

I think there's going to be a new Forum on Badcaps.net, for DELL motherboards. :-(

Several of us on the aaltonen.us.forums Dell board are seeing Dell 400SC PowerEdge Server capacitor failures. Apparently all Nichicon power capacitors of the same type and location as the GX270 failed caps. All in the same manufacturing date range, too (mid-2003 to early-2004). I've posted on the Dell Customer Support PowerEdge Forums, but, so far, no Dell response.

welcome mljohns00. it is disappointing to see dell serverboard failures. i think the new nocona boards are ok cos they have purple oscons like the hp boards. (i heard the same company makes both hp and dell boards).

can you post some pics?

i split the thread by the way, since we are into a new topic.
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Originally posted by willawake
      can you post some pics?
      ^^ 2nd!

I had an old P2 Xeon poweredge server way back in the day, and it was always rock solid reliable. It's a shame that with the advance of technology, that Dell's quality takes a turn for the worst.
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

your thread is interesting with nice pics.

http://www.aaltonen.us/forums/viewto...er=asc&start=0

If anybody wants help with the cap replacement we are here to give advice. Also Badcaps can supply a cap kit for the motherboard if anybody needs caps and can recap the board professionally if anybody needs.

One thing that struck me was the first post by mdburkey :

The problem I am having is locating Nichicon HN(M) series 820uf 6.3V capacitors. These are ultra low impedance long-life (yeah, right) electrolytic capacitors. I can get PW series caps without a problem but they have 3x the amount of impedance (0.085 vs 0.021) that the HN series does. The only place I have so far been able to locate the HN(M)'s is at Mouser and they require a minimum order of 1000 pcs (which works out to about $116). Needless to say, this is a few more than I need. I may try it with the PW's and hope that the extra series resistance doesn't cause too many problems (at least it might work with a lower wattage CPU -- like an old 2.4 or 2.6).
        I dont think it is a good idea to replace the caps with HN(M) series, since those are the ones with the problems. It is not necessary to use the exact caps again for correct operation of the board. Rubycon ZL or Panasonic FC would be quite satisfactory and are low enough esr. If you want very low esr caps then Badcaps can supply Rubycon MBZ. The original caps on the board were probably operating far out of their spec anyway if they had been filled with too much electrolyte.
        Last edited by willawake; 05-30-2005, 05:44 AM.

Comment

I use PW, PM, and PL with no problems... they're meant for switching power supplies, and seem plenty capable of dealing with ripple. Haven't clipped my 'scope on them to actually check though...

--Randy

Comment

Originally posted by bushytails
            I use PW, PM, and PL with no problems... they're meant for switching power supplies, and seem plenty capable of dealing with ripple. Haven't clipped my 'scope on them to actually check though...

--Randy
            They're probably better than what was installed originally, especially if the original parts were overfilled Nichicons (or worse, crap caps), but the improvement is not as good as it could be by using higher-grade parts, such as the Rubycon MBZ or MCZ. It all comes down to "what's good enough, and what are you willing to pay for something better".

Comment

Originally posted by bushytails

--Randy
              Yep we use them in production, we also offer a 10 year warranty on our products so I'd say they hold up quite well...

We test them to the extreme too in Thermotron units...-40°C to 95°C and leave them operating like that for days...
              Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

Re: Dell 400SC PowerEdge Server capacitor failures

welcome mljohns00. it is disappointing to see dell serverboard failures. i think the new nocona boards are ok cos they have purple oscons like the hp boards. (i heard the same company makes both hp and dell boards).

can you post some pics?

i split the thread by the way, since we are into a new topic.
                Thanks for the welcome. I haven't taken any pics of personal Dell 400SC. My caps aren't spectacularly bulged...yet. But I lived through the Abit motherboard fiasco (I personally owned six BF6 boards and fixed several others, too), so I know how exasperating failing caps can be.

Comment

......I dont think it is a good idea to replace the caps with HN(M) series, since those are the ones with the problems. It is not necessary to use the exact caps again for correct operation of the board. Rubycon ZL or Panasonic FC would be quite satisfactory and are low enough esr.....
                  I have a bunch of Panasonic FC-series caps (1000 microfarad, 10V) left over from my Abit-repair days. It sounds like I might be able to use these to replace the bulging Nichicon 820 microfarad, 6.3V caps?

Comment

I have a bunch of Panasonic FC-series caps (1000 microfarad, 10V) left over from my Abit-repair days.
                    will be great.

Comment

Does anyone know how big of a difference the impedance makes?

I have some of the Panasonic FM caps:

820uF 6.3V .041 impedance, 8mm x 15mm

I believe the originals are .020 impedance.

My only other option would be going to something like 1000uF, but it's impedance is still .038 (Pan FM).

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X