Acer predator 17 G9-793

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer predator 17 G9-793

Acer predator 17 G9-793 (MU5DC/CH7DC Rev: 2.0)
    On one USB port Windows now reporting Power surge. When I played with Arduino I connected the 12V power supply to the 5V connector, and USB port didnt survived. Now I have short between 5V and GND on this USB port. I want to repair this port or just disable this port.
    I am not sure what are the components I have rounded up in yellow on this picture.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SMDFlea; 11-27-2019, 02:14 AM.

Re: Acer predator 17 G9-793

The capacitor is a [A8] = 100µf, [j] = 6.3v Panasonic TA series Tantalum Capacitor
    Last edited by SMDFlea; 11-27-2019, 02:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sasam View Post
      On one USB port Windows now reporting Power surge. When I played with Arduino I connected the 12V power supply to the 5V connector, and USB port didnt survived. Now I have short between 5V and GND on this USB port. I want to repair this port or just disable this port.
      I am not sure what are the components I have rounded up in yellow on this picture.
      I congradulate you on ownage of notebook without anywhere available boardview and schematic.

Let's begin by identifying that you have two USB ports, one is working, the other one is dead. They both repeat schematically, although layout is a little different. Above what you outlined in yellow are two exact same components, a cap and a resistor. Do you see the resistor above your yellow outlined cap? It has regtangular silk screen around it.

Step 1. Take off bad components that you outlined in yellow.
      Step 2. Replace components from working USB port (cap and resistor) to your none working USB port.
      Step 3. See if your none working USB port is now working?

Working?

Measure resistance of working resistor and go take it off of something, or go to a store and tell them you need 1 resistor size 2 for the value that you measure.
      Last edited by SMDFlea; 11-27-2019, 02:16 AM.

Comment

From my point of view, you can have also this little mosfet dead too....
        Put 5 volts on that capacitor from regulated power supply with 1 amp, and you will see which component getting warm...
        Attached Files
        Last edited by EvilMax; 11-27-2019, 02:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilMax View Post
          Put 5 volts on that capacitor from regulated power supply with 1 amp, and you will see which component getting warm...
          When I connect FTDI Programmer for Arduino on that port power indicator led of this programer blink.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
            The capacitor is a [A8] = 100µf, [j] = 6.3v Panasonic TA series Tantalum Capacitor
            Great thx!

Do you know which component is the small black labeled X1. It looks like a diode to me but I'm not sure which one.

Comment

Originally posted by u666sa View Post
              I congradulate you on ownage of notebook without anywhere available boardview and schematic.
              unfortunatly it seems that you are right I cannot find schematic for my laptop motherboard

Originally posted by u666sa View Post
              Let's begin by identifying that you have two USB ports, one is working, the other one is dead. They both repeat schematically, although layout is a little different. Above what you outlined in yellow are two exact same components, a cap and a resistor. Do you see the resistor above your yellow outlined cap? It has regtangular silk screen around it.

Step 1. Take off bad components that you outlined in yellow.
              Step 2. Replace components from working USB port (cap and resistor) to your none working USB port.
              Step 3. See if your none working USB port is now working?

Working?

Measure resistance of working resistor and go take it off of something, or go to a store and tell them you need 1 resistor size 2 for the value that you measure.
              On this laptoop I have 4 USB 3.0 which is connected on the same hub. 2 ports are on the motheboard, and 2 are on the other side of the laptop on the small separate board (with flat cable connected to mainboard). I have power surge problem on the one port which is on motherboard. Also this laptop have one USB 3.1 port but it have its own hub, and it is not affected in this problem.

Comment

I de-solder tantalum cap, and it seem that only this cap is damaged.
                I order 6TPE100MAZB (pak of 5) https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...beb93d0dca.pdf
                I hope this cap will be good replacement.

Many thanks to all for your help!
                Attached Files

Comment

Re: Acer predator 17 G9-793, attempt to repair damaged USB port

Originally posted by EvilMax View Post
                  I changed tantalum cap yesterday and after that the resistance between GND and VBUS connectors on that usb port was about 700ohm. The multi-meter in diode mode showed 0.533 when I put the probe+ on GND and the probe- on VBUS. Windows no longer reports power surge, the usb port works. I suspect little resistance between GND and VBUS.
                  I suspect that the element labeled 54B1G is also damaged as EvilMax suggested.
                  Does anyone know what that element is?

Today, I measured 102 ohms between VBUS and GND on that port. Board was connected inside laptop and laptop was off. The multimeter in diode mode showed me 0.159 today. It all looks suspicious to me. Windows is not reporting power surge for now, and the port is working.

Yesterday after soldering a capacitor with a multimeter in diode mode, I measured all the combinations between GND and VCC and all the pins of the element labeled 54B1G which I suspect.
                  Attached is a photo labeled with the pins I have measured, and here is a table with measured values.

Is it possible to conclude from this whether this element is damaged?

multimeter in diode mode::
                  P+ to GND & P- to VBUS : 0.533 (yesterday board are not connected to anything)
                  P+ to GND & P- to VBUS : 0.159 (today power off laptop, measured on usb port)

measurement on element which is labeled 54B1G, multimeter in diode mode
                  P- => black (-) probe; P+ => red (+) probe

P- to VBUS & P+ to 1:1.497 P- to GND & P+ to 1:1.371
                  P- to VBUS & P+ to 2:1.918 P- to GND & P+ to 2:1.546
                  P- to VBUS & P+ to 3:0.002 P- to GND & P+ to 3:1.192
                  P- to VBUS & P+ to 4:0.533 P- to GND & P+ to 4:0.002
                  P- to VBUS & P+ to 5:1.624 P- to GND & P+ to 5:0.768

P+ to VBUS & P+ to 1:1.032 P+ to GND & P+ to 1:0.438
                  P+ to VBUS & P+ to 2:1.236 P+ to GND & P+ to 2:0.609
                  P+ to VBUS & P+ to 3:1.314 P+ to GND & P+ to 3:0.709
                  P+ to VBUS & P+ to 4:0.768 P+ to GND & P+ to 4:0.002
                  P+ to VBUS & P+ to 5:0.001 P+ to GND & P+ to 5:0.533
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by sasam; 12-04-2019, 07:43 PM.

Comment

The pincount of 54B1G is wrong. Pin 1 is where the small dot is on the IC.

Comment

Originally posted by mcplslg123 View Post
                      The pincount of 54B1G is wrong. Pin 1 is where the small dot is on the IC.
                      You are right, these are not official pin labels. These numbers indicate the order in which I measured on the individual pins.
                      Last edited by sasam; 12-05-2019, 02:39 AM.

Comment

This would be the correct pin out, and mesurement table:

P- to VBUS & P+ to 5:1.497 P- to GND & P+ to 5:1.371
                        P- to VBUS & P+ to 4:1.918 P- to GND & P+ to 4:1.546
                        P- to VBUS & P+ to 2:0.533 P- to GND & P+ to 2:0.002
                        P- to VBUS & P+ to 1:1.624 P- to GND & P+ to 1:0.768

P+ to VBUS & P+ to 5:1.032 P+ to GND & P+ to 5:0.438
                        P+ to VBUS & P+ to 4:1.236 P+ to GND & P+ to 4:0.609
                        P+ to VBUS & P+ to 2:0.768 P+ to GND & P+ to 2:0.002
                        P+ to VBUS & P+ to 1:0.001 P+ to GND & P+ to 1:0.533

I suspect that the element labeled 54B1G is damaged.
                        Attached Files

Comment

This would be the correct pin out, and mesurement table:

P- to VBUS & P+ to 5:1.497 P- to GND & P+ to 5:1.371
                          P- to VBUS & P+ to 4:1.918 P- to GND & P+ to 4:1.546
                          P- to VBUS & P+ to 2:0.533 P- to GND & P+ to 2:0.002
                          P- to VBUS & P+ to 1:1.624 P- to GND & P+ to 1:0.768

P+ to VBUS & P+ to 5:1.032 P+ to GND & P+ to 5:0.438
                          P+ to VBUS & P+ to 4:1.236 P+ to GND & P+ to 4:0.609
                          P+ to VBUS & P+ to 2:0.768 P+ to GND & P+ to 2:0.002
                          P+ to VBUS & P+ to 1:0.001 P+ to GND & P+ to 1:0.533

I suspect that the element labeled 54B1G is damaged.
                          There are some Chinese eBay auctions that say it's a G524B1T11U in a SOT23-5 form factor but I'm not entirely sure because I cannot seem to find a datasheet beyond this...

Comment

I found that this element can be order from LCSC
                            https://lcsc.com/product-detail/Lack...U_C356799.html

Comment

Working...
                            X