Samsung UN60H6203AF LED TV Screen Won't Turn On

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung UN60H6203AF LED TV Screen Won't Turn On

Hi everyone! Woke up to terrible news that our TV wasn't turning on yesterday.

I unplugged it, waited a minute, plugged it back in and turned it back on. The light by the power button blinked 5 times (not sure if that's an error code, or if that's normal), and the screen still remained off.

I have an optical cable running from the TV to our home theater system and could hear audio when I turned on the XBOX , so it seems it's getting power and the screen just isn't coming on.

I've never worked on a TV before, so I could really use as much help as possible in diagnosing which part went bad. I took the back panels off to take a picture (attached). Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for your time!
    Attached Files

Re: Samsung UN60H6203AF LED TV Screen Won't Turn On

Use a torch and check if you can see a picture on the screen. Try toggling the menu button and see if it's on screen.
    Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Does the screen have a glow as if backlights are on but there is no picture information?

Comment

The word "torch" is the proper English word for our flashlights. Just to stop anybody from taking a flamethrower to their tv. Haha. Always wanted to try that. Haha.

Comment

These days LEDs are very suspect when PSU seems to be working (audio OK) but it pays to check the basics plus voltage outputs first as marked on that board near the connector to which they apply. Your led output is top rhs of PSU with leads going into the back panel of screen and that output voltage should be checked and all of them recorded in your next post together with the ref marks. Multimeter's are cheap but be careful testing particularly around PSU and especially near bottom half of that board marked HOT.

Comment

Ok just got home and checked. No backlights working but when I shine a flashlight on the back while toggling the menu, I can see the image on the screen!

Comment

Well that's good and bad perhaps. The set is working your LEDs aren't. Time to check the PSU connectors markings and voltages with the set turned on and post them for the people here who will guide you from there.

Comment

Training Samsung 2014
                Wait until GET MANUAL APPEARS!!!

Comment

This TV set is very known to have bad LED's. However, turn the TV on and measure the VDC of the BLon pin on the PSU, in order to make sure the main board is actually turning on the back lights.

Comment

Sorry for the delay... finally got a hold of a multimeter from a buddy of mine and checked the voltage on the connection to the LEDs. Here's the results:

With TV turned on and LEDs plugged in to Power Supply:
                    D+: 469
                    D+: 469
                    NC: 0
                    S-: 360 (Backlights Came Back On)
                    S+: 360 (Backlights Came Back On)
                    D-: 0

With TV turned off and LEDs unplugged from Power Supply:
                    D+: Decreasing Voltage
                    D+: Decreasing Voltage
                    S-: 0
                    S+: 0

I'm no expert, but those 469V and 360V readings are really high, aren't they? Lol

Comment

Are those Voltage readings are made with the black meter probe attached to the chassis GND?
                      It looks to me the LED power supply is not seeing the Load (LED strips) so the output Voltage went up very high. You have open circuit (I.E. bad connectors on the LED strips) or bad LED.
                      Samsung BN44-00775A
                      http://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung-bn4...upply-unit.htm
                      Never stop learning
                      Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                      http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Have you read through this thread. Gives the voltages you would expect to find on your power supply. Show working backlights to be 113V working.
                        Last edited by dick_barton; 05-04-2018, 10:56 AM.

Comment

The LED Voltage/current chart as printed on the board (BN44-00775A) shows 326VDC @410mA, so getting over 400V seems to be about right without the load.
                          Never stop learning
                          Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                          http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Budm, I stand corrected. The board does indeed say the working led voltage and current. 326V @ 410mA.

Comment

I'm somewhat nonplussed by post 10 where you record ' backlights came back on ' so did they ? If so problem isn't led string circuit.

Comment

I would do as suggested in post number 9, see if the signal is being sent, assuming and skipping basic testing steps=not good.
                                Last edited by nomoresonys; 05-06-2018, 04:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by maxvalutech View Post
                                  I'm somewhat nonplussed by post 10 where you record ' backlights came back on ' so did they ? If so problem isn't led string circuit.
                                  Yes, they came on only when testing the voltage

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
                                    I would do as suggested in post number 9, see if the signal is being sent, assuming and skipping basic testing steps=not good.
                                    I thought that's what I did lol ?? Sorry, I'm a rookie... Can you tell me what I did wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by vergezee View Post
                                      I thought that's what I did lol ?? Sorry, I'm a rookie... Can you tell me what I did wrong?
                                      You didn't yet... on the PSU connector CN803 pin 4. Actually measure all the pins on that connector and post the pin out name and the DC voltages measured.

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
                                        You didn't yet... on the PSU connector CN803 pin 4. Actually measure all the pins on that connector and post the pin out name and the DC voltages measured.
                                        Ok thanks

CNM803
                                        1/2 - UD: 14V
                                        3/4 - PWM_BLU: 14V
                                        5/6 - PS_ON: 14V
                                        7/8 - GND: 15V
                                        9/10 - GND: 0V

Comment

Working...
                                        X