Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can HDMI switcher damage devices?

Hi friends.
    I purchased HDMI switcher so I could use both PC over one monitor.
    But I'm anxious to use it.
    Are these stuff safe to use?
    I'm affraid of short circuit over to monitor or even graphics card.
    Could not find who made this one,seems unknown.
    Attached Files

Re: Can HDMI switcher damage devices?

It is made by China Inc. - there are many many many vendors and manufacturers of these devices. Some will have a focus on such a product while others will build a batch of them for a few weeks and move onto something else that is the latest craze / hype.

Any poorly designed product can cause damage but usually the manufacturer will test each widget before packaging. That is common. How long the product will function is another story.

Being an owner (and a design engineer) of a similar product - found that sometimes the video source is not detected for our multiple feeds. At that point, once in a while, have to unplug and plug back the video source while it is live. Then the switch 'auto switches' correctly. A minor fault and may have to do with the circuit they have applied or the HDMI IC used. Otherwise, the product is working fine.

You should be fine to use yours but suggest to use gentle force to insert the HDMI cables and then apply power after they are seated. Sometimes the port will have ESD protection diodes to suppress static pulse that cause such damage. Avoid carpets (in general) and discharge your body by touching a metal ground before using any electronic equipment.

Comment

Avoid hot swapping HDMI if you can.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
        Avoid hot swapping HDMI if you can.
        What you mean "hot swapping"?

I don't know what the hell I purchased this device.
        Spent 10 euros for maybe crappy device which could damage my PC who costed me back in 2020, 2k euros...
        Maybe I do can try on 2 older PC.
        It is to that I do need them urgently.

Comment

Originally posted by paparazzo79 View Post
          What you mean "hot swapping"?
          What it sounds like, plugging in HDMI cables when they are hot, as in power going through it.
          Lots of people plug them in hot and lots of people get away with it, right up to the point they don't.

Comment

Working...
          X