Help with Gigabyte GA-RP55W5 Rev 1.1 motherboard troubleshooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help with Gigabyte GA-RP55W5 Rev 1.1 motherboard troubleshooting

This morning on tested it out with the multimeter. At first it wouldnt shut down while the battery was disconnected so I reconnected the battery and tested it. While the laptop was charging and working as normal the voltage on the DC jack was 19.48v when it switched to battery the voltage went up to 19.56v. I also measured the voltage at the 8 pin connector and the reading were the same.

Later I disconnected the battery and tried again, while the laptop was running the voltage was 19.48v and just before it shut down or as it shutdown the volts were around the same if not slightly higher. It may have been 19.53v but it was hard to tell as it takes less than a second and its shutdown. Are these the readings you expected?

Comment

Ok, well we still can't rule out a bad adapter but if another test adapter just isn't obtainable we have to move on. I was hoping to see a hard voltage drop but a lack of voltage drop upon shutdown doesn't have to happen for the adapter to be bad. It's just one sign if it does. Yet, we'll move on.

The next logical place to check is at the charging ICs. Let me see what I can find and get back to you ASAP.

Comment

Sorry for the long delay but I thought I had a line on getting this board in front of me and it turned out to be the wrong model.

If you can safely remove the motherboard you can check for other failure points but without a board in front of me I'm kinda blind, regardless of how many photos you post.

My immediate recommendation is to find your main charging IC. It should be near the DC jack cable into the motherboard. Read the printing on the chips (black squares) and Google them until you find one that fits the bill. It'll be called a charging IC or power management IC.

Find it, get it's datasheet (it will be in PDF form) and figure out what each pin does. Then test those pins for input, output and enable.

Yet, I hate to keep saying it but I'd still highly recommend trying another adapter lol. Just to know. Again, get it just to return it after testing if you have to. I'd still put my bet on that being the issue.

But if not, find the charging IC and check it next.

Comment

Working...
        X