Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Klipsch computer subwoofer speakers hissing buzzing. Does this look like bad cap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Klipsch computer subwoofer speakers hissing buzzing. Does this look like bad cap?

Klipsch 4.1 computer speakers hissing.

Looking at all the caps on the amplifier, they all seem flat, except one maybe.

Not sure if this is leakage, or factory marker pen.

Can you tell?

The speaker system recently developed nonstop hissing noise. after 22 years.

Is there a special kind of cap I have to buy?
    Low ESR? or general?

I see these for sale.... Panasonic FC 47uF 50v low ESR radial Capacitors caps 105C New low impedance
    Attached Files
    Last edited by link626; 08-02-2022, 06:42 PM.

Re: Klipsch computer subwoofer speakers hissing buzzing. Does this look like bad cap?

Capacitors rated for 85°C are always "general purpose" capacitors (a capacitor grade).
    You should not replace them with low ESR capacitors because the circuit might not be designed to handle that.
    I would recommend United Chemi-Con KMG series capacitors, but really any "general purpose" series of capacitor from a reputable brand should do just fine.
    It is likely that after so many years at least the small capacitors have dried out inside, then they wont bulge, but still be just as dead

https://www.mouser.com/c/passive-com...%29&series=KMG
    Last edited by Per Hansson; 08-03-2022, 08:00 AM.
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Re: Klipsch computer subwoofer speakers hissing buzzing. Does this look like bad cap?

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
      Capacitors rated for 85°C are always "general purpose" capacitors (a capacitor grade).
      You should not replace them with low ESR capacitors because the circuit might not be designed to handle that.
      I would recommend United Chemi-Con KMG series capacitors, but really any "general purpose" series of capacitor from a reputable brand should do just fine.
      It is likely that after so many years at least the small capacitors have dried out inside, then they wont bulge, but still be just as dead

https://www.mouser.com/c/passive-com...%29&series=KMG

shoot. I just ordered some panasonic 105c
      because that was the only thing for sale

would this cause a domino effect of failure in the other caps?

Comment

Usually linear supplies are not sensitive to low ESR, only one way to find out
        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Looks like a minor bulge, to me! A noob will think it's OK!
          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

bad confirmed

old samxon 47uf measured 9uf.

replaced with panasonic 47uf low esr.

seems to be working. knock on wood.

Comment

welp. old cap was bad

but it didn't fix the issue. buzzing still comes and goes.

Maybe there are other bad caps.

Comment

the other 47uf cap was also bad, but not bloated.

both 47uf measured 9uf.

both caps replaced now. Didn't hear the loud hissing when plugging in the sub.
                hopefully fixed for good this time.

Comment

Working...
                X