recap help AcBel PSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

recap help AcBel PSU

I found used PSU AcBel PC6001 ~250W from IBM thinkcenter Core2Duo system. Almost every output rail caps were bulged except 12V rail single cap. caps were Ltec

12V - 1200uF 16V
    5V - 1000uF 10V before coil 1000uF 10V after coil
    3.3V - 1000uF 10V before coil 1000uF 10V after coil
    5Vsb - 1000uF 10V before coil, 470uF 16V after coil

Since I have no access to buying new branded caps, I'm going to replace caps with used caps I pulled from dead PSUs and Motherboards.

I need cap experts ideas about it.

This PSU will be use for light load. Mini-Itx J1800. total power consumption not more than 50W.

I have following capacitors that fits: (Order by age.)

Teapo 1000uF 10V, 3300uF 16V & 10V - most recent
    Ost RLP 1000uF 10V, RLS 2200uF 10V, RLX 2200uF 16V, RLX 3300uF 16V
    Nippon chemi con KZG 1500, 2200, 3300 6.3v, KY 1000uF 16v, 25V
    Rubycon MBZ 2200uF 6.3V

what you think? should I take teapo or better brand ?

Re: recap help AcBel PSU

Find new caps. What you will take from old mobos and PSU-s is at best at it's EOL.
    Teapo and OST are mediocre. While they are not the worst, when they are new, I won't put 10-15 years old caps in a device, when I repair it.
    Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
    1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

Don't use the ultra low ESR caps: Rubycon MBZ and Chemi-Con KZG, OST RLP.
      Otherwise you should be ok for some testing, basically use the caps with the highest ESR you can find from the ones you listed.
      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
        Don't use the ultra low ESR caps: Rubycon MBZ and Chemi-Con KZG, OST RLP.
        Otherwise you should be ok for some testing, basically use the caps with the highest ESR you can find from the ones you listed.

Why higher ESR ? any reason for using high ESR caps for smps?

I tested those caps for ESR randomly. with component tester
        KZG 3300uF have 0.01Ohms

Comment

Well, a more proper way to put it is to use capacitors that are as close as possible to the originals in spec.
          A PSU is basically tuned to the ESR of the capacitors, so if you change them too much it will start to oscillate.
          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
            Well, a more proper way to put it is to use capacitors that are as close as possible to the originals in spec.
            A PSU is basically tuned to the ESR of the capacitors, so if you change them too much it will start to oscillate.

Thanks for the information.
            So.. Teapos are the solution. they are relatively newer, have 0.03 ESR came with PSU.

what you think about capacity? stock 12V rail was 1, 1200uF 16V. I can put 1500,2200 or even 3300 there.

Comment

if it's 1 cap that can work,
              but if it's 2 caps with an inductor between them then probably not.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                if it's 1 cap that can work,
                but if it's 2 caps with an inductor between them then probably not.

12V rail have only 1 cap (1200uF 16V)
                All others including 5Vsb have 2 caps with series inductor.

Stock caps are Ltec LYZ 8x20mm 1000uF 10V ESR rated for 0.040-Ohms
                1200uF 16V 10x23mm ESR 0.021-Ohms

Teapo SC 3300uF 16V 10x35mm ESR rated for 0.026-ohms
                Last edited by pavithra_uk; 06-29-2021, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Nothing so wrong with using recycled capacitors IF you remember you don't know how much longer they're going to last. You might have to replace them again in 6 months- if you're okay with that.

Brand new is the best.

Don't use old components for repairs on someone else's devices unless you have no choice.
                  "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                  -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                    Nothing so wrong with using recycled capacitors IF you remember you don't know how much longer they're going to last. You might have to replace them again in 6 months- if you're okay with that.

Brand new is the best.

Don't use old components for repairs on someone else's devices unless you have no choice.

This PSU is for my use. so I can periodically check status of capacitors.

Comment

Working...
                    X