Lenovo Yoga 7i blown USB port issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lenovo Yoga 7i blown USB port issue

I have a Lenovo Yoga 7i laptop that has repeated errors in Windows relating to a surge on the USB port - over and over, won't stop (nothing is plugged into any USB ports at the time). I isolated the blown port, and find the other USB ports seem to be working. The USB-C adapter does charge the laptop and power it on.

Opened it up and found a damaged IC. The chip is Fortune Advanced FA3200, called a "USB charging port controller....". The motherboard is GYG51 and I found someone previously posted the schematics and boardview in the forums. Boardview shows the chip (location U12) as SN1702001RTER by TI instead of the Fortune Advanced FA3200 on my board.

Can anyone confirm the SN1702001RTER is a substitute for FA3200? If so, I googled and can't seem to find one. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Re: Lenovo Yoga 7i blown USB port issue

I'm a novice/beginner at component level repair, so sorry for what most likely is a basic question. Or maybe it's a really difficult question? Either way, hope someone can assist - thanks

Comment

Yes, you should be fine to consider either device (and others).

1) The package is the same 16 pin QFN which is mandatory.

2) The referenced TI part appears in searches with the topside markings of 'C2546' -> leads to the following component by TI under a public offering:

https://www.ti.com/product/TPS2546?d...#order-quality

3) You should be ok to consider the following part from DK as a drop in replacement:

https://www.ti.com/product/TPS2546?d...#order-quality

Summary - this is a common USB load switch with charging support and is available from assorted vendors including the one you have referenced.

Do try the sub and update this thread with your progress.

Confirmation of cross compatibility:
      https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...d=utpC4rdRMZpb

Comment

mon2, thanks for the info. I looked all over for either of the part numbers I noted in my post - no real info, not even a datasheet. I did find the TI SN1702001RTER on Ebay (china location) and see C2542 on the chip as you mentioned, and I also see it in the allexpress.com link you provided. If that crosses to TPS2546, then I'll order through Digikey on Monday and report back. Thanks again for your help.

Comment

I received the TPS2546 chip and swapped out the FA3200 chip and I have the same issue - one of the USB ports does not work and keep getting power surge errors on USB port repeatedly in Windows. I should mention that the FA3200 chip (USB Charging QFN16 chip) had a small potmark so I thought it was partially blown.

I don't have a lot of experience with component level troubleshooting on motherboards. But hoping someone can tell me if it's possible to completely disable the failed USB port since the other 3 still work. Like remove a fuse or something? The physical port looks OK and undamaged. There are 2 USB ports, CMOS battery and power button on a small daughterboard connected by a cable to the motherboard. Disconnected the USB port daughterboard and still get the USB surge errors - so the problem is in a circuit on the motherboard.

I found the Schematics in this thread: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1220015 Boardview is included. The TPS2546 is location U12.

Its a shame I cannot simply disable the failed port in the BIOS, but not avail. The repeated USB surge errors are a real annoyance, but my real concern is further damage to the motherboard by leaving something shorted in the circuit.
          Last edited by Rolin; 06-11-2023, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Review the over current load switch at UI1 which is in a sot23-5 package (will be with 5 pins).

This is a solid state load switch with a fault flag on its pin #3 and is linked to your USB paddle board.

If pin #3 is low, there is a fault reported to the PCH.

A quick test is to flux and remove this part.

USB load switches fail often from USB transient events.

Comment

UI1 chip has the following: Pin1=5V, Pin2=ground, Pin3=1.814V, Pin4=mv, Pin5=5V

Pin 3 has 1.1814V. Labeled "Open Drain Fault Flag" in datasheet. Can you clarify the meaning? Low voltage means the chip failed?

Typically is this chip blown and simply replacing will solve? Or if more complicated, can I remove 1 leg of this chip to resolve the repeated fault on the USB port?
              Last edited by Rolin; 06-12-2023, 04:19 PM.

Comment

You have posted 2 different measurements for the voltage to ground of pin #3.

If 1v8 then all is well for this signal since it matches the pull up voltage rail. Confirm this.

Open drain means the pin is left floating once there is no error condition. Then the pull up resistor at RC7 of 10k value will do its job and do a soft pull up to 1v8.

If there is fault, this line will be held low = typically 0 volts. That is why the suffix # is present in the netname to denote an active LOW level.

Check the voltage to ground of USB_OC2#. Post the measurements.
                Last edited by mon2; 06-12-2023, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Sorry for the mistype of Pin #3, it's corrected now. It's 1.8V

"Check the voltage to ground of USB_OC2#. Post the measurements."
                  I believe you're looking for measurement on RC9 Pin 1 (or the test pin next to it) - boardview shows it's labeled USB_OC2#. It's 1.8V. But these components are very tiny and the board layout isn't exactly the same - so hopefully I found the right spot (although I'm fairly confident I found it)
                  Last edited by Rolin; 06-12-2023, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Ok. Check also, the voltage to ground of:

USB_OC0#
                    USB_OC3#

Comment

USB_OC0# is .977v (easy to find on UI2 pin 13)
                      USB_OC3# is 1.8V (again very small, difficult to be sure I have right spot on this one, but fairly confident. checked on RU26 pin1 & RC125 Pin1)

Comment

USB_OC0# is .977v
                        This could be the fault. It should be ~3 volts if there is no fault with the USB device.

Confirm that the required pull-up resistor @ RC122 is present. Confirm that the voltage on the other side of this resistor is ~3 volts.

If it is, remove all power -> measure the resistance across RC122. Is it ~10k? If not, replace it. If the resistance is too high, this could be the fault.

A valid pull-up resistor is required for all open-drain output signals like this one.

Otherwise, flux -> hot air and carefully remove UI2. Test again.

It is possible that UI2 is faced with an excessive current event and is dragging this status line low which you have observed.
                        Attached Files

Comment

RC122 has about 3V on Pin 2. The resistance slowly rises to about 8.6K - looks out of spec?

Not sure if I need to pull UI2 or not. Hoping not, but let me know. I'm not great at removing and reinstalling QFN16 although it appears I was successful.

Comment

Resistance of this resistor is fine. It is in the circuit rather than isolated and on your work table so the variations are to be expected.

Confirm the voltage again to ground of pin #1 of this resistor.

If it is a low voltage, this is the signal raising the USB fault.

Comment

"Confirm the voltage again to ground of pin #1 of this resistor."
                              I did check yesterday and believe it was .977V - didn't post it because it was expected since PIN1 directly connects to PIN 13 of UI2.

I'll check it again though. What would be the next step if confirmed .977V?

BTW: Really appreciate your time on this. I'm learning a lot - kind of exciting closing in on the component causing final fault.

Comment

Just tested RC122 again

PIN2 is about 3V, and PIN1 is about .972

Comment

I decided to remove UI2 as a quick test. RC122 is now about 3V on both PIN1 & 2.

As noted above, RC122 resistance tested OK, and this is the required "pull up" 10K resistor for the USB_OC0# circuit. Any ideas on what is causing the fault to trip UI2 PIN13.

Comment

Has your USB error stopped with this component removed?

Comment

I reinstalled the motherboard in the laptop and tested. Yes, the USB errors are gone. 3 of the 4 USB ports are working (one dead) just as before. Everything looks OK with the chip removed. Maybe I misunderstood what UI2 is for. Is it just for charging external devices through the USB ports? What are the negative effect of removing the 2546 chip?

Comment

Did anyone here took a closer look to the power rail, so USB_VCCA itself? Resistance ton GND measurement?
                                        FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

Working...
                                        X