Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP Omen 17t-w200 WHAE error when charger connected

Hi Everyone,
    I faced a strange issue of my friends laptop.
    You might have an idea because I'm out of my deept here.
    The laptop starts every time no problem.
    - When The original 230W charger is plugged in (with or without the battery same) and I start installing windows or start a preinstalled windows, then WHEA error happens or black screen freeze.
    - When I start laptop with only battery then windows installer start fine, install goes nice and fast. After installation I have to disable the nvidia 1070 and start windows this way and then enable the Nvidia 1070 graphic, then it runs Perfectly. Stress test on GPU, CPU and RAM, games like PUBG etc. also fine for hours.
    If I start with nvidia 1070 enabled then 10% of the time it starts no problem, but 90% of the time it freeze black screen or loading icon durring windows start.

I have tryed:
    - Reset CMOS
    - reflashed newest BIOS
    - flash clean ME BIOS from this forum
    - also tryed to start laptop from battery and after windows boots then plugging AC adapter and disconnect battery, then run every stress test I can think of. No error or freeze after windows has started.
    - removed wifi card (no change)
    - replaced RAM with another good but smaller
    - reseated ram to another slot
    - tryed both ram same time
    - GPU max temp after stressing for 20 minutes is 70 celsius
    - CPU max temp after stressing for 20 minutes 80 celsius

Any idea what can I do to point the exact problem?
    Last edited by questore; 06-05-2023, 01:57 PM.

Re: HP Omen 17t-w200 WHAE error when charger connected

I have found a new symptom that led me to a solution and proves that the laptop is good, but there is someting strange going on.
    If I start the laptop from cold boot (meaning complete windows shutdown)
    Then On the next start I can power up the laptop whatever way I like, it will start windows and I dont have to disable the 1070 GPU anymore in windows.
    But it only works until I di a "shutdown" from windows. I have tried multiple times Shutdown-> startup...and after shutdown, the system is starting smooth.

If I press "Restart" or restart laptop from BIOS and the charger is plugged in, then the Freeze happens and after this nothing solves the windows loading freeze until I unplug the charger, and do a windows recovery and shutdown the laptop.

So The problem only happens if I restart the computer and not doing a cold start.
    Never ever even heard of this kind of problem.
    What could be the cause?
    Last edited by questore; 06-06-2023, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Try earlier bios version .

Comment

It looks like you have not enough power. I would check how much power lost you have from dcin to current sensor. I would chheck that your first mosfet it is not shorted. Which charging ic do you have.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by mcplslg123 View Post
          Try earlier bios version .
          I have already downgraded BISO from F56 to F54 and now it is on F48. No change.

Comment

I would also check in the bios if your charger is recognised.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevedb View Post
              I would also check in the bios if your charger is recognised.
              In windows "batteryview" shows that when i plug in the AC it it recognized and charging the battery.
              The only thing that is very strange is that it shows that the battery current and full capacity is also 75000mAh and it is a 100% health.
              But the battery is obviously only 8300mAh and it is well beyond 100% health.
              I have tried depleting battery to 30% then charge back but no change.

Comment

Check the voltage to ground of the SCL and SDA lines on the battery while it is connected to the logic board.

Comment

Did you check the mosfets already for internal short

Comment

Did you check the mosfets already for internal short
                    Sorry, yes, all of them are fine source-draing, gate-source are all OK

Also checked the power adapter 3rd sense pin.
                    - 19,71V when not plugged in and 1.78V all the time, after plugged in.
                    Resistance between plus DC 19,5V and 3rd sense pin is 100Kohms when not plugged in to laptop.
                    Last edited by questore; 06-07-2023, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
                      Check the voltage to ground of the SCL and SDA lines on the battery while it is connected to the logic board.
                      Did you mean SMC and SMD on battery only these exists.
                      Both CMS and SMD is 3.18V to ground.

Or do you mean in the BQ chip pin 8 and pin 9 SCL and SDA ?
                      Last edited by questore; 06-07-2023, 08:48 AM.

Comment

I have found a problem on the GPU.
                        When I start to stress test the GPU it runs on 1870Mhz, but this type of GPU maximum Frequency is 1645Mhz even on boost mode.
                        How can i fix this? Is is possible thart someone has overclocked it? Is the GPU bios in another IC then the simple BIOS?
                        Attached a picture of the clocks from GPU-Z.
                        How can i change the clock to default?
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by questore; 06-07-2023, 01:01 PM.

Comment

I think it has seperate bios chip for gpu. Are there shematics for this device?

Comment

I think it has seperate bios chip for gpu. Are there shematics for this device?
                            https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...435#post955435

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            All donations to Badcaps are welcome.
                            Become a Badcaps supporter
                            >>>>> click on this link to donate <<<<<
                            Thanks to all supporters.
                            ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Doctrina est fructus dulcis, radicis amarae.

Comment

Thanks for the schematics i think i will need it.
                              I have read, this behavior of new GPU-s are normal. I have checked and my laptop T1200 also doing the same in GPU-z. But I wanted to reflash GPU just to be sure, but https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios does not have the same GPU bios for this subsystem device id: 103C-8261 only "10DE 0000" and i dont know if it is safe to flash it by force.
                              So maybe back to square 1.

What i have noticed is if i disable the 1070 then windows restart is working also with charger connected. So maybe it could be a AC adapter issue? should i try to add more juice with mybench power supply while AC is connected and see it windows feezes?
                              Last edited by questore; 06-08-2023, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by questore View Post
                                Thanks for the schematics i think i will need it.
                                I have read, this behavior of new GPU-s are normal. I have checked and my laptop T1200 also doing the same in GPU-z. But I wanted to reflash GPU just to be sure, but https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios does not have the same GPU bios for this subsystem device id: 103C-8261 only "10DE 0000" and i dont know if it is safe to flash it by force.
                                So maybe back to square 1.

What i have noticed is if i disable the 1070 then windows restart is working also with charger connected. So maybe it could be a AC adapter issue? should i try to add more juice with mybench power supply while AC is connected and see it windows feezes?
                                No luck, still Freeze and no extra current drawn from power supply.

Now my only idea is measure everything around the charging chip, and if no fault find then replace it.
                                Anyone has better idea?

Comment

How much wattage is your charger is it the original from that device.

Comment

Could be anything between faulty DC-IN Mosfets, issue with one of the power supplies related to the GPU, till a dying GPU itself. Maybe even a combination of those. However, with guess work only it will be hard to solve.
                                    FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

How much wattage is your charger is it the original from that device.
                                      Charger is original one with 230watt. Also tried with a replacement charger that only has 180watt and freeze also.

Comment

More info about the problem:
                                        - If I switch windows energy management from balanced to performance mode, then th laptop freezes in about 1 minute even if I just browsing folders.
                                        - I hear some whine somewhere around GPU mosfet area but cant realy point the exact location.

Next step is that I look carefully with microscope around the area where the whine can be heard and if I dont found anything then run around the edges of the mosfets with soldering iron to reassure correct solder joints.

Comment

Working...
                                        X