Sony XBR-65X750D Horizontal lines bottom of screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony XBR-65X750D Horizontal lines bottom of screen

Hi, I have a Sony XBR-65X750D that has horizontal lines at the bottom 6 inches of the screen. These lines appear to be every other line because the picture is still quite visible behind those lines. The lines appear all the time with a few other lines above and below the 6 inch level blinking on and off at about 2 second intervals. I'm not sure if this is a panel issue or power supply/main board problem. I did replace the T-Con board without any change in the problem. Any suggestions you might have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Re: Sony XBR-65X750D Horizontal lines bottom of screen

Hello again, any ideas on how this can be fixed or is it time to replace the whole TV? Picture links below. Thanks.
    Last edited by SMDFlea; 06-05-2023, 02:39 PM.

Comment

A picture would help

Comment

Hello Storyteller12, I did but I guess I broke the rules. I selected picture from the tools menu but it said enter url, well I don't have a url so I went to a free picture hosting site and posted them there and pasted the links on my posting today which got promptly deleted. Sooo, I will try to figure out how to post my pictures "legally" so they will stay on my post. Regards,

Comment

Hopefully here are the pictures.

Attached Files

Comment

Try unplugging lvds cable at a time going from the tcon to the panel. See if you get picture on half a side each way.

Comment

OK, Thanks, I will give it a try and let you know.

Comment

Maybe problem with circuit to panel gate drivers on one side. Here is an explanation of a late model Samsung LCD panel (mostly common to most late model LCD panels)

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...44&postcount=5

Also SONY doesn't make LCD panels so they use someone elses. Should post pictures of your boards but here it is

https://www.ebay.com/itm/22478260459...Bk9SR_r50-WSYg
                https://www.ebay.com/itm/12439440670...Bk9SR_r50-WSYg

Since you replaced the t-con and lines persist, failure maybe on the thin edge boards attached to bottom of the panel. Requires descent multimeter skills to probe around those boards. There are no schematics. Problems can be
                • Short/failure on the board
                • Short on the COF
                • Short in the panel

Gate driver circuit is duplicated on both side of the panel. Useful to compare readings on one side against the other. Diagnosed an LG panel via masking method followed by comparison (read post 5-8, 18)

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=116761

Comment

Hello Storyteller12 I tried disconnecting the left and right ribbon cables from the T-con board. When disconnected R ribbon cable, no picture (no lines) reconnected R ribbon cable and disconnect L Ribbon cable, Picture (with lines) please see pictures below. 1. R ribbon disconnected. 2. L ribbon disconnected.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hello howardc64 (did you Start out with a Commodore 64?)
                    Wow, lot of information to sort through. I am attaching some pictures of my circuit boards and layout if that might help. It will take some time to explore your suggestions (I appreciate it and thank you for your help)
                    Attached Files

Comment

From your test in post #9, failure is likely on left most of the 4 buffer boards on the panel (looking from back of TV right side up)

You can try using paper/masking tape blocking method to see if can make the lines go away. Red arrow is the connector to this buffer board but requires more disassembly (speaker, stand mount, metal protection strip) or just at the green arrow where you are connecting/disconnecting the flex on the t-con.

I use thin sheet of paper cut outs with varying widths and gradually narrow down.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1681884737

Here is your service manual. Unfortunately, no t-con to LCD connector pin out to show the signals so have to try randomly.

c64 is last name letter + birth year so not Commodore haha. I'm 45min away in Sammamish WA so PM me and perhaps can walk you through what to do on the phone.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks howardc64. I was remarking to my wife what the odds were that I would be getting help from someone in western Washington. I have tried previously to do the "scotch tape" repair without any luck but I will try it again as I could have missed it. From what I have seen, it is usually contacts 2 - 9 that have the fault but like you said, no pin outs to know where to apply the tape.
                        Like you I have my birth year in my handle so, I have you by 20 years (depending on how you look at it) Regards, Gil

Comment

Originally posted by ggil44 View Post
                          Thanks howardc64. I was remarking to my wife what the odds were that I would be getting help from someone in western Washington. I have tried previously to do the "scotch tape" repair without any luck but I will try it again as I could have missed it. From what I have seen, it is usually contacts 2 - 9 that have the fault but like you said, no pin outs to know where to apply the tape.
                          Like you I have my birth year in my handle so, I have you by 20 years (depending on how you look at it) Regards, Gil
                          Yeah, I started with scotch tape but thin cut paper was much easier than faster if don't know pinout. I usually start with 1/2" wide and just try various locations. If get closer, than narrow with 1/4" wide and keep on finding fewest pins. Just insert the paper in the connector, slide the flex over the top and lock the connector. Do this with power off of course.

Comment

Howardc64 is right on with my thinking on post 11. Seems to be panel related issue

Comment

Thank you both for the suggestions, I will try it. howardc64, your reference to orientation of the TV got me to thinking that I didn't do a very good job of expressing that myself so just to confirm, these new pictures are facing the TV and I flipped them so it is showing the picture like you would normally view it. First picture is (as you face the TV) with the Right hand T-con ribbon cable disconnected (still facing the TV) and the second of course is the Left disconnected. I am not sure I made that clear so these new pictures hopefully will clear up any doubt.
                              Thanks
                              Attached Files

Comment

I just noticed that when you click on the thumbnails, the picture reverses. The correct orientation is when you enlarge or click on the thumbnails. Strange.

Comment

Hello howardc64, I tried the paper strip 1/8" test with the T-Con ribbon cable per your example and the best results I could get was about the same as it was without any paper masking. See picture. Will probably have to uncover the metal shielding and try to test components on the buffer board?
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ggil44 View Post
                                    Hello howardc64, I tried the paper strip 1/8" test with the T-Con ribbon cable per your example and the best results I could get was about the same as it was without any paper masking. See picture. Will probably have to uncover the metal shielding and try to test components on the buffer board?
                                    I think unfortunately kind of blind on this one not knowing what signals are from t-con to buffer boards.

I think no need to expose the buffer boards at this time. I was hoping blocking off gate driver signals on one side of the panel would clear up your picture. These signals are at the t-con connector but we unfortunately don't know where they are.

Can you take a clear picture of both tcon connectors and the board traces that connects to them? power rails and column signals are fairly easy to see and we can probably avoid those. I think your gate driver signals are towards either end of CN2. Maybe we should use something wider like 1/4-3/8" to start testing near both ends on both t-con to panel connectors.

Comment

Actually one value of exposing the buffer boards is to see any signal labels.

Take picture of buffer boards. Especially around the outer most COF (Chip on Flex, its those gold color flex that is bonded between buffer boards and the panel glass. Be careful with these are they are fragile)

Also take picture around the 2 t-con connectors (CN2 and CN1?)

Comment

Hi howardc64, I did start with 1/2" strips but no difference so I cut them down hoping for better results. I will try to get the pictures you asked for to you by noon tomorrow. Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Working...
                                        X