Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tools - Order of purchase

Hey guys,

I am new to the electronics repair game & have stumbled into some tools to get my workshop (garage) started.

I managed to get my hands on a low budget multi-meter, soldering iron, de-soldering gun, oscilloscope and a variable voltage/amperage DC power supply.

With this being a new hobby i am thinking of investing in some tools to make it a little easier.

When i get paid next i was thinking of buying a Peak Atlas ESR 70 gold.

I am after suggestions on what order to buy things because i don't have the money to buy everything all at once.

I have most tools like screw drivers, pliers, sockets/spanners etc.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have been mostly tinkering with broken machines / appliances so far have not really got my hands on any computers or phones that require working at an extra small scale.

Thanks.

Re: Tools - Order of purchase

Make yourself something called a dim bulb tester. Very useful to have. Also if your oscilloscope that plugs into power mains circuit, you want an isolation transformer. Other than that, you should be kittet out pretty darn good for starters. Not so sure what you mean by low cost DMM… you may want a second and a bit better quality DMM. A electronic microscope is also important, depending on your eyesight and component size.

Comment

Nice bit of kit the Peak but a cheap component tester from ali/ebay will measure your caps to let you know which are faulty.

Comment

"Any suggestions would be appreciated."

If you plan to work with smd (nowadays is almost all that), then hotair station and some magnification, fine pick and tweezers, fine hammer, files... little brushess for cleaning, ipa, little organiser for screws...

Cheap transistor testers work wery well for me... no point to buy expensive one?
        Think about a eprom programmer, if you unsure, a low cost is ch341a always handy to have.
        Desoldering wick, nontoxic flux... little boxes with common components, good light...

But, you can do build some simpe DIY measure tool for your specific interest, need.

Comment

I would invest in a good DMM. It may save your life someday. Also, maybe a selection of common components might help

Comment

Hey guys thanks for the suggestions.

I will definitely make a dim bulb tester. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

I have ordered the Esr tester so will hopefully get that next week. On a side note I do want to buy a transistor tester/component tester too.

Not up to SMD yet but hopefully my skills will get there in the future and I will get the equipment required.

In terms of Dmm any suggestions? There is a significant difference between the prices. Is something like the Digitech qm1321 sufficient? Significantly cheaper than something like a fluke. I was looking at the qm1321 in the local Jaycar today.

Will add a photo of my little setup when I get a chance.

Thanks.

Comment

what desoldering gun is it?
              infact make a detailed list if stuff - not a vague one.

Comment

De-soldering gun is a Micron T2065
                Soldering Iron is a Micron T2417
                Oscilloscope is a Hantek DSO4254C
                Power supply is a Tenma 72-2640
                Multimeter is a Micron 1130A

On order is the Peak ESR70

Comment

you need to post a link for the meter, i cant find it.
                  the iron looks like a xytronics unit,
                  the desoldering station is a typical ZHONGDI unit.
                  http://china-zhongdi.com/product/27.html

dont buy filters for the zhongdi, they are a robbery!
                  check the internal diameter of the glass, i think it's about 19mm
                  if it is then get a 20mm leather punch from china and a sheet of filter material - we can find links for you.
                  search this area of the forum for "915" - the model number of the older desugn

Comment

Sorry, that’s because I mucked up the name. It’s the Q1130A.

https://core-electronics.com.au/auto...ter-22528.html

Sounds good i will take a lock for the filter material have not had to change it yet.

Comment

Quick update on the progress
                      The Peak Atlas ESR meter has arrived and has been doing some good work.
                      I ended up upgrading my multimeter to a QM1571.

I think next in the list is a component analyser and some cable management/desk organisations.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                        you need to post a link for the meter, i cant find it.
                        the iron looks like a xytronics unit,
                        the desoldering station is a typical ZHONGDI unit.
                        http://china-zhongdi.com/product/27.html

dont buy filters for the zhongdi, they are a robbery!
                        check the internal diameter of the glass, i think it's about 19mm
                        if it is then get a 20mm leather punch from china and a sheet of filter material - we can find links for you.
                        search this area of the forum for "915" - the model number of the older desugn
                        If anyone wants to buy one get the one with the sleep function it helps save your heater element i have one but it not this model number but it is from the same company
                        9 PC LCD Monitor
                        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                        30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                        10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                        6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                        1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                        25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                        6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                        1 Dell Mother Board
                        15 Computer Power Supply
                        1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                        2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                        All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

or turn it off when your not using it
                          a bit radical i know, but not difficult!
                          i know a guy that accidentally left his soldering iron on for 3 days!
                          he forgot to turn it off on friday night before locking his shop up.

Comment

Working...
                          X