Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amazon Fire TV Omni K24NE5 tcon or panel bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazon Fire TV Omni K24NE5 tcon or panel bad?

TV came on with BL on but blank screen. Disconnected one of the ribbon cables from tcon to panel driver board and now I have half of the screen working normally. Any way to tell if the problem is with the tcon or the panel driver board or the panel itself? Should I just replace the tcon and see what happens?

Re: Amazon Fire TV Omni K24NE5 tcon or panel bad?

It could be the tcon. Does the tv restart/ reboot when turned on with both ribbon cables installed? If it does reboot it probably panel issue but without further test it’s hard to say for certain.

Tcon is cheap. Give it a shot

Comment

With both ribbon cables connected it turns on but it's just a blank black screen with the BL's on. With only the "bad" cable connected it does the same, blank black screen with BL's on. With the bad cable disconnected and the good cable connected I get half screen video with the other side of screen black. Sound and remote functions are normal.

Comment

Update: I noticed that the right and left driver boards are split in two and have a ribbon cable connecting them. So I unplugged the ribbon cable connecting the two driver boards on the bad side and now I have 3/4 of a picture. I think this eliminates the tcon board as the problem. I'm going to check for a shorted cap on the disconnected bad half of the driver board.

Comment

I checked the driver board for shorted caps and couldn't find any. Is it possible that the panel itself has a short?

Comment

Pictures would be helpful. But I guess you have 4x buffer boards from your description and 3 are connected to form 3/4 picture leaving the problem on the single buffer board + panel region.

I'm assuming the 1/4 failure is on the outer edge of the panel. The 2 outer buffer boards need to send row control signals up both side of the panel. If one of these row control signals have failure, can disabled it and TV will work fine with row signal from the other side. Furthermore, left and right most buffer board will have similar circuitry for comparison diagnostics.

I recently fixed s LG that had slight COF burn marks on one edge of the panel. Had no full shorts but a bank of resistors responsible for the row signal on the bad side behaved differently than the good side in diode mode. This gave clue to the problem and fix.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=116761

Fix is in post #8 and explanation of process in #18. You may have similar issues. Take pics of the buffer boards and the panel sticker (so we know who makes the panel)
            Last edited by howardc64; 05-23-2023, 10:50 PM.

Comment

here's some pics.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Lee M. View Post
                here's some pics.

I'm assuming this is the end thats failing and if you disconnect the flex in the green rectangle, 3/4 LCD will display. Please correct if this is wrong guess.

Try the following

1. block out some pins (thin piece of paper is easiest while trial n error) on the green rectangle. Cut various lengths and try various places and see if LCD displays. Start with wider and if LCD displays, gradually go smaller until finding out which masked pins enable LCD to display.

2. diode check various components in the red rectangle against the similar circuit on buffer board on the other end of the panel. See what behaves differently.

If you can find the masked pins that enable LCD display. Maybe can continuity trace to the component / probe point they connect to (no always true, sometimes it goes to the panel) There might be labels which will give a clue on what circuit is affected.
                Attached Files

Comment

It's fixed!!! But it's pure dumb luck. I checked everything on the board with the meter in diode mode and could not find anything. I tried covering connector pins with a piece of thin plastic from a Walmart bag but never could get the TV to display a picture. I gave up on fixing it and out of curiosity decided to find where the short was by cutting the ribbon cables to the panel. I started by cutting about half an inch into the outermost cable. I plugged in the TV, pressed the on button and the TV came right up with a full screen picture! I have no idea why this TV is now working. I would love to hear any ideas and comments.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Congrats on the fix. You probably cut the shorted gate driver connections. I made a document on Samsung panels below. Most LCD panels are similar but use different signal names depending on manufacturer and some provide 0 ohm resistors for easy removal instead of cutting. Yours unfortunately doesn't provide many signal label names and of course no schematics...

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...44&postcount=5

Comment

Working...
                    X