Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with a Samsung UN60EH6003

Hello All,

I'm a hobbyist at best, I've built a few radio kits (I'm a Ham), but other than that I'm a newbie at electronics.

A friend gave me a Samsung UN60EH6003 that works about 50% of the time. Specifically, it demonstrates the common Samsung dreaded dead screen and blinking standby light when you try to turn it on. To be more specific, 50% of the time when you press the power button it starts normally, 50% of the time when you press it the screen does not come on, there is no startup tune sounded, and the red standby light blinks slowly.

When it does not start, I'm able to start it occasionally by unplugging and pressing the power button to dump any charge in the capacitors (at least I think that is what I'm doing) for about 30 seconds during which the standby light goes off, then plugging it back in and pressing the power button. Other times if I leave it plugged in and try to start it hours later it starts up, sometimes not.

I believe the unit utilizes the BN44-00500B power board. When I unplug the power board from the mainboard the pannels backlight comes on. This is the pinout graphic on the board next to where the jack for the cable from the powerboard to the mainboard is located.

When the cable to the mainboard is unplugged these pins read as:
    Pin 14: 3.387
    Pin 13: 5.398
    Pin 12: 5.398
    Pin 11: 5.398
    Pin 10: 0
    Pin 9: 0
    Pin 8: 0
    Pin 7: 12.77
    Pin 6: 2.99
    Pin 5: 12.76
    Pin 4: 12.76
    Pin 3: 12.76
    Pin 2: 3.013
    Pin 1: 12.77

When the cable to the mainboard is plugged in these pins read as:
    Pin 13: 2.4
    Pin 11: 2.4
    Pin 9: 0
    Pin 7: 0
    Pin 5: 0
    Pin 3: 0
    Pin 1: 0
    I haven't removed the powerboard from the pannel's backplate so I haven't gotten the even pin readings as they are only accessible from the backside of the board when the cable is plugged in.

My totally uneducated guess is the issue is on the mainboard since the pannel backlight comes on when I unplug the mainboard, but that is a total guess and I have no clue if the values I'm reading on pins 14, 7, 6, 5, and 2 are correct when the board is not plugged in to the mainboard, or any of them when it is.

I would greatly appreciate any help you can lend.

Cheers

Re: Need help with a Samsung UN60EH6003

you have caps leak on the power boards... use hair dryer to heat the caps then turn on. since it come on you will know where you need to replace

Comment

If the backlight turns on and stays on constantly with the motherboard turned off, this indicates that the power supply is in order.

Comment

Thank you Diah and Lotas, your replies are much appreciated.

So one vote for a problem on the power board, and one vote indicating the power board is good...

Anyone else have any advice? I'm more than happy to take other readings if it will help, and if so, please indicated what I should test.

Cheers and thanks in advance for any insight you can assist me with.

Comment

I suspect the power board, try to change the power IC on the heatsink, i think is labeled FSFR1700 or similar, it's a common faulty ic, just to be more sure, supply power to mainboard from a desk pc psu, 12v + 5v, if tv powers on everytime with no backlight, so my guess is almost sure
          Last edited by Davi.p; 06-02-2023, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Thank you Davi.P, I will give it a go and circle back with results.

Comment

Decided to just replace the power board, have one due in early this week, I will update after I've installed it.

Comment

Following up and closing this string. I ordered a power board off eBay, all in it was $40. Swapped the boards last night and so far the intermittent power on issue seems to have been corrected. I've power cycled it about 25 times over 24 hours and so far so good!

Thanks to all for the advice and help!

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                X