Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A1989 Macbook Pro unable to reinstall macOS after DFU recovery

Hello guys,

I've been learning about computer repairs and got a MacBook Pro A1989 that had some liquid damage. After thorough cleaning, the board was getting 20V and 1A+ when the battery was connected but the laptop still wasn't booting. The symptoms were similar to another thread I found here (https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...hlight=20V+amp) so I followed the advice of entering DFU mode and was able to recover the firmware and it is now booting (the revive option was giving me an error, so I had to erase everything).

However, I've been unable to install macOS on it. I tried internet recovery but get a message "Security Settings do not allow this Mac to use an external startup disk" after it reboots. Reinstalling macOS from the macOS utilities gives me an error saying "the recovery server could not be contacted".

Sorry in advance for being a noob, but I'm still learning. Hopefully someone in here can help me fix this issue.

Re: A1989 Macbook Pro unable to reinstall macOS after DFU recovery

are you able to get into recovery? if yes go to disk manager and see if it is able to detect the internal HDD

if you have issues getting into recovery due to internet issues, suggest using a usb c to ethernet dongle and try

Comment

I don't understand why, but when I press cmd+R it goes into internet recovery and no drives are listed.

I was able to enter the startup manager by pressing the option key and then went into disk utility. There, I saw that the main SSD was not initiated, but after erasing it, I was able to initiate it. Still, the same problem persists when trying to use internet recovery, I get a message saying "Security Settings do not allow this Mac to use an external startup disk" after it reboots.

Comment

I finally got it to work by restoring from an external HDD with Time Machine. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
        X