• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

denon dcd 485 no disc rotation and psu high

this dvd loads but wont spin discs ,
    i used camera to confirm laser at least strikes ,
    it does the usual shuffle.
    so after cleaning lens and load belt replaced to ensure loading was complete
    .i decided to check suppiles from psu. the + and- 5v are ok
    but the 8v supply is 12v ?
    ive checked all parts in psu esr and for s/c etc
    im wondering if theres more than one version of this psu ?
    and 12v is normal

the next mystery is that there are 2 leaf switches labelled 21 on exploded diagram to stop and start the tray
    these are mounted on small pcb with the two motors
    one of these(the second one in from the right) lives under the main loading cam 19 and it doesnt seem to do anything ive had the assembly apart and cant see how its activated ,theres nothing under the cam to switch it
    any thaughts please i will upload pics

Re: denon dcd 485 no disc rotation and psu high

here are some pics

Comment

doesnt like my pics i will try again seems to have worked.
      in the second pic the plug n skt on bottom right ,
      next to it this leaf switch which works fine with the underside of the tray
      but the one next to it does nothing?
      Attached Files
      Last edited by jimbofz; 02-11-2021, 07:56 AM.

Comment

can someone check +8 and -8v supplies ,icant fathom why its 12v i will post diagram

Comment

heres the cct
          Attached Files

Comment

It's hard to say why the voltage is high, it is unregulated. It could be due to the caps C512 & C513 are bad, but it could also be a misprint, The similar dcd-920 calls it +/- 10v
            I would find out why the tray switch is not being activated, something must be broken or out of alignment. That switch is the closed switch and needs to operate.
            Also seeing the laser only means the laser is working, many times it is the laser detector that goes bad and will not output a signal

The switches are activated by the tray itself and not the cam gear, This Rotel manual might help
            Attached Files
            Last edited by R_J; 02-12-2021, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
              It's hard to say why the voltage is high, it is unregulated. It could be due to the caps C512 & C513 are bad, but it could also be a misprint, The similar dcd-920 calls it +/- 10v
              I would find out why the tray switch is not being activated, something must be broken or out of alignment. That switch is the closed switch and needs to operate.
              Also seeing the laser only means the laser is working, many times it is the laser detector that goes bad and will not output a signal

The switches are activated by the tray itself and not the cam gear, This Rotel manual might help
              very useful manual thanks
              ,with regards to the switch , the top of it lives under the black main cam and therefore the tray (slides on top of the cam) so the only thing that can move the switch must be the cam?
              ,on one if the pics it shows a small hole in the cam which lies directly over the switch ,you can see through the hole the top of the switch
              if i could see a pic of the underside of the cam maybee a small lug could have sheered off .

normally i would expect one switch to stop the tray trying to go too far out and one to stop it trying to continue loading once it has fully loaded,but my tray glides in and out and doesnt try to spit out the tray.
              i will remove cam tomorrow and post pic of underside,for your thaughts ,thanks

Comment

Well then the cam must activate the switch, so it is either out of alignment and not activating the switch or the switch is broken.

Comment

heres the pics of the cam ive used a coctail stick to show where the hole is

just above the stick it looks like a small stud may have broken off ?,
                  ive cleaned and tested the switch and its fine,
                  the position from the centre of the cam( where the stick is shown)
                  lines up exactly where the top of the switch lives
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by jimbofz; 02-13-2021, 02:40 AM.

Comment

That is very likely that the pin is broken, Is it still inside the unit? if not you may be able to drill a hole where the pin was and install a new pin.

Comment

a special thanks to RJ ,
                      its a good feeling when something eventually goes right
                      i drilled a 2mm hole where the stud had sheared off and fitted a screw ,
                      cut to the right length .
                      and re assembled ,i now had disc rotation ,but it was "hunting"
                      so i removed disc ,entered s mode and did as advised in manual ,
                      it was better but the servo wouldnt lock on.
                      so tried s mode again ,this time it locked perfect ,and when i started
                      cheering the wife brought me a cup of tea .so lifes good
                      you were right the unregulated supplies were just a red herring
                      we all live and learn

Comment

Good to here it's working, thanks for following up

Comment

Working...
                        X