Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Welcome to the Badcaps.net Tech Forum! > Announcements & Related News
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2014, 05:39 AM   #5641
Gatchaman

City & State: London
My Country: United Kingdom
Line Voltage: 230v AC 50 Hz
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Default Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hi, I didn't want to join just to ask one or two questions. But seeing as I'm into crunching on Boinc (WCG CEP2) and I've just bought and built 2 x d975xbx2's that are approaching ~8 years old, and I took a chance on a faulty Ł20 NAD T-760 from the bay, I thought I'm going to have to join if I need to ask questions and gain knowledge and so I have.

Nothing works forever, but if it's slightly broke then I don't see the harm in saving some cash and trying to fix it myself!

G.Z
Gatchaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:16 PM   #5642
Cinek

City & State: Bournemouth
My Country: England

Hi everyone, Im just looking for advice in some cases which i have in my way when i want to challenge myself in new tasks. Cheers guys. ;D
Cinek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:47 PM   #5643
copilotf4u

City & State: Antioch, california
My Country: united states
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech

Hello all, my names is Carl Fickling and I just found this web site. I thank you very much for all your help! I have been an electronic tech for over 40 years and like to get some input from the problems others have already had. I start my training in the US Navy and am currently start my own buisness call "Your MyGuy'ver" the 21 Centry Handy Guy...
copilotf4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:52 PM   #5644
omgitsmit

City & State: Somewhere, CA
My Country: USA
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech

Hello! I recently started repairing broken LCDs that were in the "to donate" pile at my office. All of them were easy fixes with bad caps! I never realized plugging your electronics into a power strip really does make an impact.

Just picked up my first broken plasma HDTV and have already diagnosed a bad buffer board just from these forums alone! Would love to post my own repair thread to help others (as well as myself), but it looks like i had to come here to introduce myself first
omgitsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:08 PM   #5645
Agent24
I see dead caps

City & State: Hiding inside a plated-through hole
My Country: New Zealand
Line Voltage: 230VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgitsmit View Post
All of them were easy fixes with bad caps! I never realized plugging your electronics into a power strip really does make an impact.
Not entirely sure what you mean by that, but bad capacitors are not caused by using or not using power strips.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:34 AM   #5646
Zero2Cool

City & State: Green Bay
My Country: United States
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz

Hey. I "won" a non functional TV from work and been looking around to see if it would be worth fixing so I signed up here.

I've been ripping electronics apart since I was about 7 years old (dad still has new stories of buying me new stuff and me taking it apart before playing with it), but I've never delved into the LCD TV world.

I'm a software engineer by profession and after reading a few topics on similar issues with the TV I just picked up, I fear my lack of electrician skills are going to make this venture a waste of time.

Whenever this post trigger happens, I'll start a thread and provide whatever information you intelligent folks want. Thank you for the free use of the site.

- Kevin
Zero2Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:52 AM   #5647
designer

City & State: Stafford
My Country: England

Nice to be on board!
designer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:40 PM   #5648
Cider

City & State: Accokeek, Maryland

Decided to try unlocking the mysteries lurking in the guts of my TV before calling the even more mysterious repairman.
Cider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:56 PM   #5649
dan1983

City & State: Quakertown, pa
My Country: usa

Hey guys. I've been to badcaps.net several times in the past, now I've finally signed up because I'm delving into plasma TVs for the first time (yeah I know, I'm a little behind lol). A little about me, I'm a mechanic of everything, trucks, equipment, cars, and everything else with nuts and bolts. I'm a welder, arc and mig. I am also a heavy electronics tinkerer, and a slight computer nerd, though networking and programming are past my scope. Well anyway, there's my intro, now time to post about y-sustain boards!
dan1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:37 PM   #5650
OneBadxxx

City & State: Florence, Kentucky
Wink Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

glad to have found BadCaps looking desperately for HELP !
OneBadxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:59 PM   #5651
IanTV

City & State: Santa Rosa
My Country: California

Hello everyone! Looks like I found the right place for electronic repair!
IanTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:07 PM   #5652
Jimtazz

City & State: Pearblossom

Hello Everyone!!

My name is Jim I am from California I am just getting into electronic repairs and would love to have all the help I can get!
Jimtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:17 PM   #5653
lagbear

City & State: Johnstown Pa
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60 Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech
Default Well, I'm here. hope Iam doing this right.

Well hey
Hope I am doing this post right.. Guess I'll find out.

Anyway, I was searching for some info on an old R.S. intercom and when I goggled the mod number, I was brought here to badcaps. Whoa.. Never knew such a site existed, but I've seen my share of bad caps throughout life.

So I'm from the tail end of the tube Hammond generation, and have worked on those buggers many years. Also do a fair amount of amp repair, and in general circuit board repair. Seems to be a real trend these days in equipment to find bad caps. seems to be more or less "what goes wrong" these days. back then, not so much, but now.. Pffft!

Well, I better get back to my reading about those intercoms. Got to get them working.
lagbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:06 PM   #5654
gobblebox

City & State: Grapevine, TX

Hi, I'm a corporate systems admin, but plasma TVs are foreign territory to me. I've repaired hundreds of bad LCD monitors, laptops, & desktop PCs. How difficult are internal repairs on a plasma TV in comparison?
gobblebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:43 PM   #5655
Grant County

City & State: Dayton OH

Hi, I am a retired technician. I started in 1960 repairing Cash Registers. The only thing using electric current was an AC Brush Motor, to drive the mechanics. Some registers did not even have that, the complete operation was accomplished by giving a hefty push on the keys. I had to progress with technology to descreet components on a wired in module, to IC nan gates, nor gates, and such, to high density programmable circuits that are damaged by just touching them. Anyway, after all that, it won't even get me a cup of coffee, and no one cares. I don't mind trying to fix something, if I destroy it, I'm no worse off, it was broke, anyway. If you don't completly understand the problem, but the fix is quick, cheap, and safe, give it a shot, even if success isn't going to be likely.
Grant County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:47 PM   #5656
jdurbin1

City & State: San Diego, CA

Part time tech, full-time Tandberg enthusiast & collector... specifically the audio stuff, not data or videoconferencing equipment.

Ran across a link to Badcaps on another forum and looked like another good place to learn the odd thing or two, so here I am.

John
jdurbin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:42 AM   #5657
Emilf

City & State: Hveragerđi
My Country: Iceland

Hi there,

Just needing help on trouble shooting my subwoofer. Just a computer enthusiast trying to learn as much as possible about a new hobby, home theater.
Emilf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:04 AM   #5658
tonyp115

City & State: North Shore, MA
My Country: US

Hi, Tony from Salem, Ma.

I somehow wound up with an apartment full of broken electronics and i need help fixing them. Thank you for existing. Cheers.
tonyp115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:03 AM   #5659
audiobrad

City & State: cape town, western province
My Country: South Africa
Line Voltage: 220vac 50hz

Hey people or should i say HELLO to all ,members and people visiting this forum.

My name is Brad and being repairing audio equipment for about 13 years now, NOPE i did not study electronics but i have beening reading so many books on it .
YES,i did not start understanding it until a friendly guy offered me a job at his small business 13 years back and started explaining the basics of ohm's law and a few more calculations .Suddenly i started understanding most of what i was reading.

MORAL of short comings is " Study hard and apply to college " .Life is to short to waste !!!!!!! and dont forget to have fun on your journey. lol
audiobrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:13 PM   #5660
durn

City & State: Huntley
My Country: Uk

Hi all

My Nick name Durn derived from my surname. Real name Brian.

Retired telecoms engineer and ICT system manager. Built a reasonable workshop where over the past years have repaired lots and built kit. Now tend to work with Computer networks and PC’s when home improvements don’t get in the way. Found the site when in the process of repairing a 17PW80 power board and found the information supplied very helpful. Waiting for a supply of diodes to see if the repair is successful.
durn is offline   Reply With Quote